Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2011, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone use a commercial mower with a steering wheel? - Having rotator cuff surgery

Hi Guys,

Just like you have to do maintenance and repairs on an old mower with several hours on it, I am needing a little maintenance and repairs on the body.

The shoulder needs a tune-up/rebuild. I will be having rotator cuff surgery next week. I had hoped that I could go through the season with just some cortisone shots but the Dr. said I had better get the one shoulder done now. He said my other shoulder will need it in a few years also. Don't you love getting older?

So I need some info from you guys who have some experience with some of the commercial mowers out there that use a steering wheel. I know that Cub Cadet has two models out with a steering wheel, the Z-Force S and the TanK S. Another mower that I know of is the Gizmow, but I have not heard anything about them for a while.

Please share you experience with these two brands or any other mower that I might be able to use one arm with.

Thanks,

PS I will probably look for a slightly used mower to buy that fits the bill since I should have full function of the one shoulder in a few months.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A few years back I was starting to have shoulder problems and retired a nice JD LX277 lawn tractor and got a Scag Wildcat. Cut my mowing time in half and shoulder problem disappeared.

I doubt that you can constantly twist on a stearing wheel with one arm, and after a week or 10 days of recuperation the control arms on a ztr will probably cause fewer physical problems.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dave,
Might I suggest something like this.... I think your left butt cheek would even fit square on the seat.

Seriously though, it could be a money maker. I'd pay YOU to let me come watch you use it.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.gizmow.com/home.htm

Here ya go!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Raymond S,

It's nice to know you're there for me. I put a steering wheel knob on it from Rural King and I'm all set. It will cost you big time though.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Walker and the exmark Navigator have controls that are one arm friendly. I'm used to using my left hand....but i'm sure I could learn it both ways.

My E-450 Dovetail Van project thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351062&page=7
Old 03-12-2011, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Went to a Cub Cadet dealer to see their mowers. I explained to him my desire to see their commercial mowers with the steering wheel. The dealer did not carry any of the Tank S series. He said that they could order the Tank S but they really did not have a market in this area.

The sales guy did show me a Z-Force S. Ergonomically, It was OK. The first thing you notice is the weight ratio. This mower tends to have a more weight on the front castors. Since the front castors are steerable, that makes sense. There is also a little more rear overhang with the engine sticking back further than most. As I looked over the construction, I kept thinking that there was now way they could even call this mower "commercial". I even mentioned to him that the trans specs I saw online (ZT3100) was not quite as "commercial" as I had hoped for. Everything felt "lesser" build than what I would call "commercial". I shared my concerns with the sales guy and he used some sales speak to say that he did not understand why Cub Cadet rated it as "commercial" either.

As I was leaving the dealership, I asked the sales guy for a brochure on the Z-Force S. As I quickly glanced at the specs (the trans was only a Dual EZT), it became evident that the sales guy had shown me the "residential" Z-Force S.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

When your rotator cuff heals, are you still gonna want a mower with a steering wheel on it?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably not. That is why I am considering a decent used mower. I won't take as big of hit on a used one. I might need this type of mower for a second year. According to my doctor, there is a good possibility that I will have the other shoulder done in the near future.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm having the exact same problem with my left shoulder too & I would think it's easier with a ZTR, no problem for me but trimming is hell!