Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Curious how many of us are members of the LMA?

I was just trying to figure out how many LMA members we have in our area, and how many have even heard of the LMA? The reason I bring this up is because Pinellas county recently passed an ordinance requiring all lawn and landscape companies and all employees to take a class, pass a test and become BMP certified to help protect the environment they say. In the past two days I have witnessed a homeowner blowing leaves off his lawn and into the street, a guy operating out of the back of a pickup truck hurricane cut palms leaving about 2 branches, and another homeowner empty the remaining roundup from his sprayer directly into the gutter. Why are the homeowners given a pass and allowed to purchase and use chemicals incorrectly if the environment if truly the focus of this ordinance? I'm also pretty sure the weekend warrior landscape companies have no idea about the BMP ordinance, nor will they ever be stopped and checked. It's time we join an organization who will look out for the professional companies. If we band together we can stop these stupid ordinances and those yet to come. How many are interested in finding out about the LMA? I am considering putting together a small meeting and trying to get the director to come out and speak.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was a member years ago, total waste of money. About as useful as being a member of the last industry rocker that has come and gone, ALMA.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
I was a member years ago, total waste of money. About as useful as being a member of the last industry rocker that has come and gone, ALMA.
Zturn

Jim's Complete Lawn Care out of Boco Grande was the last President of the Local LMA Chapter and still holds a Bank Account with some LMA money in it. I am guessing the LMA here folded in the Late 1990's. Jim tried to get me to take the money and start up the LMA here again but I declined. There was an attempt to start it just before Charlie but that went with the wind also.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Port Charlotte chapter is the chapter I belonged to. We met in one of the bank buildings as I recall. At the time I think we had almost 300 members, but they never really seemed to have any direction. And of course only 30 or 40 members would show for the meetings.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I understand the LMA does not have the influence needed at this time. It's tough to make a difference with a couple hundred members, but a few thousand may be a different story. This could be a very benificial organization for all of us, but we need to work at it. If we do nothing, I'm sure there are more ordinances that will hinder our businesses right around the corner. Maybe they will ban leaf blowers as they did in certain parts of California. We can try to be proactive or just sit back and deal with whatever they throw at us.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In theory it's a great idea but the same problems have been discussed over the last 30 years I have been in the industry and not a single organization has come along and really done squat. My advice is educate yourself in the specialty areas in the industry and the work at good rates will come to you. Fixing the whole industry with an association is a waste of time, unless you start the association and take a salary.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
In theory it's a great idea but the same problems have been discussed over the last 30 years I have been in the industry and not a single organization has come along and really done squat. My advice is educate yourself in the specialty areas in the industry and the work at good rates will come to you. Fixing the whole industry with an association is a waste of time, unless you start the association and take a salary.
For instance Ric has offered a hell of a deal to educate and differintiate a persons business from the rest of the crowd without to many takers. Many people just want to write a small check without having to think and work for success, it usually doesn't work that way.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The Port Charlotte chapter is the chapter I belonged to. We met in one of the bank buildings as I recall. At the time I think we had almost 300 members, but they never really seemed to have any direction. And of course only 30 or 40 members would show for the meetings.
Zturn

Yep it was the Bank just north of Sunny Dell Plaza and across the street from the Brown Cow drive in store. It is no longer a bank today. I don't think I ever jointed LMA but I attended a few Meeting at that bank. I was just getting started in the Green Industry. Funny how you remember from years ago and can't remember 5 minutes ago. But I remember learning to use ammonium on insect bites and stings at one of those LMA Meetings. I still use it and tell people to use it til this day.

Chris

LMA was very active and a strong Lobby at one time. The Limited Pesticide License is the solo work of the LMA. There are still pockets of LMA chapters that are still atempting to lobby for their members benefit.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-11-2011, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in the industry for the past 20+ years and have plenty of decent paying work. However, there is no way to avoid this new ordinance other than to just ignore it. If you cut grass, or fertilize grass or plants you and all employees are required to take a class and pass an exam, period. This has not affected you yet if you don't work in Pinellas county. Oh, by the way, this ordinance is becoming state wide in 2014.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
For instance Ric has offered a hell of a deal to educate and differintiate a persons business from the rest of the crowd without to many takers. Many people just want to write a small check without having to think and work for success, it usually doesn't work that way.
Zturn

I am real sorry we couldn't get together. But you were the first to Recognize Our Markets are so much different. I am sure if your situation changes you will contact me. But we still need to get together to talk about Chapter 487 Licenses that can & will make you money in your Country (good old boy) Market.