Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2011, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Zturn

Yep it was the Bank just north of Sunny Dell Plaza and across the street from the Brown Cow drive in store. It is no longer a bank today. I don't think I ever jointed LMA but I attended a few Meeting at that bank. I was just getting started in the Green Industry. Funny how you remember from years ago and can't remember 5 minutes ago. But I remember learning to use ammonium on insect bites and stings at one of those LMA Meetings. I still use it and tell people to use it til this day.

Chris

LMA was very active and a strong Lobby at one time. The Limited Pesticide License is the solo work of the LMA. There are still pockets of LMA chapters that are still atempting to lobby for their members benefit.

Ric

I am a member of our local LMA and have been for several years. I posted this thread because I'm sick of hearing guys in my area complaining about lowballers, lack of respect, and stupid ordinances, but be totally unwilling to join in and try to change things.

Take this BMP thing for example, if the ordinance was really meant to protect the environment, why not make everyone (including homeowners) take the class and get a certificate. Then make them present the certicicate when buying pesticides or fertilizers. Either educate them, or make them hire a licensed professional. That would add value to the professionals who have the certifications. Of course that would never happen. The homeowners would never stand for it, as they would come together (unlike those in our profession).
Old 03-11-2011, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4chris70 View Post
I have been in the industry for the past 20+ years and have plenty of decent paying work. However, there is no way to avoid this new ordinance other than to just ignore it. If you cut grass, or fertilize grass or plants you and all employees are required to take a class and pass an exam, period. This has not affected you yet if you don't work in Pinellas county. Oh, by the way, this ordinance is becoming state wide in 2014.
And that is why I would suggest spending your time and resources getting all the education and certifications you can and then selling your services to the people that will pay for it instead of fixing the industry with another association.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric, Good Ole Boy market LMAO, I love it.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ric

I am a member of our local LMA and have been for several years. I posted this thread because I'm sick of hearing guys in my area complaining about lowballers, lack of respect, and stupid ordinances, but be totally unwilling to join in and try to change things.

Take this BMP thing for example, if the ordinance was really meant to protect the environment, why not make everyone (including homeowners) take the class and get a certificate. Then make them present the certicicate when buying pesticides or fertilizers. Either educate them, or make them hire a licensed professional. That would add value to the professionals who have the certifications. Of course that would never happen. The homeowners would never stand for it, as they would come together (unlike those in our profession).
Chris

Zturn is 100% correct be selfish and get your own certifications that you can sell at a higher Margin. Trying to improve the Green Industry is a lost cause. I know because I have been trying for years to help educate the Idiots here at lawnsite only to get a new crop of fools each year.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.Ē John Wayne.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Chris

Zturn is 100% correct be selfish and get your own certifications that you can sell at a higher Margin. Trying to improve the Green Industry is a lost cause. I know because I have been trying for years to help educate the Idiots here at lawnsite only to get a new crop of fools each year.
Ric

Sadly, I think you're right. All the certifications in the world won't make a bit of difference. With this ordinance, a licensed irrigation contractor can't repair an existing system if the system is not equiped with a rain censor. Under the ordinance the contractor MUST sell the client a rain censor. If the client doesn't agree to buy one and have it installed, the contractor is not allowed to service the system, period. My area is the first to adopt these strict laws so most are not affected, yet. When these laws go statewide lets see if people change their tune.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ric

Sadly, I think you're right. All the certifications in the world won't make a bit of difference. With this ordinance, a licensed irrigation contractor can't repair an existing system if the system is not equiped with a rain censor. Under the ordinance the contractor MUST sell the client a rain censor. If the client doesn't agree to buy one and have it installed, the contractor is not allowed to service the system, period. My area is the first to adopt these strict laws so most are not affected, yet. When these laws go statewide lets see if people change their tune.
Sorry but IMHO it is athe lack of enforcement that lets the illegals get away with murder while the poor legal guy pays his dues to gets screwed.

Laws are only as good as the acceptance by the public of those laws. If no one enforces the Laws then they are not laws because the public doesn't support them by enforcing them.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.Ē John Wayne.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris, I agree with your concerns about the industry, but the older I get the more I realize you have to pick your fights, you can't win them all.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Chris, I agree with your concerns about the industry, but the older I get the more I realize you have to pick your fights, you can't win them all.
I couldn't agree more. I just wanted to get a feel for whether or not there was enough interest to get this organization headed in the right direction. Seems it would be an uphill battle.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQscE3Xed64 The reason why the economy is failing and low quality, under the table work happens. This is a worthwhile organization to support it seems.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is exactly why we need to join an organization that will fight for the best interest of those in our industry. Full story can be read at Green Industry Pros.com

Here we go again - blowing hot air in northern California
The city of Sebastopol, CA ó located about an hour north of San Francisco ó just passed a leaf blower ban, which will go into effect about a year from now (read story).

Some residents didnít feel like it was fair to have to deal with the dust and noise associated with leaf blower operation. The Sebastopol City Council agreed, voting 3-2 in support of the ban. The only exception to the ban is for city public works employees who canít utilize another tool to complete a certain task, such as cleaning out storm drains in an emergency. Apparently, for homeowners and lawn maintenance contractors who need to clean up leaves and other debris, a rake will do just fine.