Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

ExMark Striping Kit Question

Hey everyone,

Could anyone tell me if there are any issues with getting any variety of ExMark mower over curbed areas while using a striping kit. I am familiar with where the striping kit is located on the machines, but I cannot tell if it would obstruct the machines abilities to drive onto a curb. I have some very large commercial properties with wide open lawn areas where we use 60" TT's and 72" Lazer's. I want the added effect that you get from the striping kit, but I don't want to go through the hassle of changing them on and off every time we want to mow a curbed area.

Also, I would enjoy hearing your general thoughts/pro's and con's on the striping kit as I am considering purchasing multiple units.

Thank you
Old 03-12-2011, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kits won't cause any problems climbing curbs. My honest opinion on exmarks striping kits are the bearings don't last anytime because they are sealed. I run deere and they are greaseable and haven't replaced a bearing in two years vs exmark I had to replace every year or they would just fall off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2011, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have the 4 Exmark 60" Turf Tracers. Each one has an Exmark striping roller. The oldest one has 2800hrs, then 1400hrs, 1300hrs, Ohrs (new). All the mowers go right over curbs, tree roots, gravel areas, without doing anything. All striping rollers on the machines have given us zero issues. All have the original bearings.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The old style stripe kits on the Z's that covered almost the width of the deck left good-looking consistent stripes. It bolted to the rear anti-scalp bolt holes. if I remember correctly? But the stripe kit would always hit things and ruin the bearings. Was tired of worrying about it, and weren't cheap to replace either.

On the new Z's, they redesigned it to only cover a portion of the deck width in between the inner wheels. Bolts to the rear of the deck. So you have the tire stripe, then the stripe the roller didn't catch, then the roller stripe, then the stripe the roller didn't catch and finally the tire stripe again. On my new Z I just bought, I find the cut quality and stripe look to be better than cutting with a stripe kit. I will NEVER run an Exmark with a stripe kit again.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neols View Post
The old style stripe kits on the Z's that covered almost the width of the deck left good-looking consistent stripes. It bolted to the rear anti-scalp bolt holes. if I remember correctly? But the stripe kit would always hit things and ruin the bearings. Was tired of worrying about it, and weren't cheap to replace either.

On the new Z's, they redesigned it to only cover a portion of the deck width in between the inner wheels. Bolts to the rear of the deck. So you have the tire stripe, then the stripe the roller didn't catch, then the roller stripe, then the stripe the roller didn't catch and finally the tire stripe again. On my new Z I just bought, I find the cut quality and stripe look to be better than cutting with a stripe kit. I will NEVER run an Exmark with a stripe kit again.
Really that much difference without the stripe kit on the new ones? Maybe i'll try taking mine off for a few weeks.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had the stripe kit for years and it works great. However, and I've said this before; If I was to do it again, I would make my own with the chains. the chains do a much nicer job, are able to stripe right up to edges behind the machine, and this setup is much cheaper to make than the rollers. Plus,...there is nothing to wear out.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis E View Post
Really that much difference without the stripe kit on the new ones? Maybe i'll try taking mine off for a few weeks.
I've ran my Lazers with and without them, and extremely anal about the look of the cut. I can honestly say I liked the striped look of the grass with out using a stripe kit. It just looked more natural...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmark PR View Post
Exmark mowers and accessories are designed for commercial use. The striper roller should not present a problem mowing a curbed area. Even at the transport height, the cutting deck is free to lift if the striper roller contacts while driving over a curb.
At transport setting. The deck might be free to lift if the roller is making contact with the curb, but not by much. An inch or 2? If I remember correctly...and in the fall for example if that roller is lowered to accommodate a 2.25" cut I don't see it clearing the curb. Even if the roller does rub, thats a lot of upward pressure on the roller, hence the deck. Something over time has to give. And on Exmark stripe kits, I think the warranty is 90 days? 1 year?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing that is really nice about the striping roller, it acts as a very large anti-scalp roller as well.

Tags
commercial , exmark , mowing , striping