Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-19-2002, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Seeking a Mentor

Im not sure if anyone has ever asked this on this forum and I’m not quite sure how to ask but I thought I’d give it a shot. So here goes, As some of you may or may not know, we (my wife and I) are looking to be up and running with our LCO within the next few months. We will be relocating back to LCO Central, otherwise known as Florida. I will be starting out part time untill I can get the business built up and my wife will continue to work full time in her current career. The original idea was to work part time at night and work for an existing LCO down there for a couple of months to get some much needed experience. However, I was thinking the other night that “yes” I do need the experience in mowing, blowing etc etc but I also need to learn some of the things that you as the owner do on a daily basis, running your business. I couldn’t learn this as a lawn monkey for 2 months or 2 years.

The Question: How crazy is it for me to ask if anyone in this forum (preferably in the mid southern states or NC) would consider taking on a trainee/apprentice for a week or two? Kind of like being a “Mentor”. Id be Cheap Labor-FREE and would not get in your way. I would of course stay in a hotel and would not be a burden on anyone. I realize this is no small thing to ask as you are all pretty busy but the cold hard fact is that I would probably learn more in two weeks about running an LCO with one of you guys than I could ever learn anywhere else. I understand that I couldn’t possibly expect to learn everything, all the things that took you years of experience to learn and there are things that just cant be taught but it sure would be a healthy head start for me. Having much experience in Marketing, accounting, and customer service I have a resonable grasp of whats involved with these aspects of the LCO industry but I think a week or two under the wing of a Professional would be invaluable. I couldn’t pay you much if anything but as I said before, would work for free, would be eternally grateful and would definitely put you on our Christmas list.......

I have been helping some LCO's update their logo's, business cards and Rig Signage at no charge.....maybe I could offer these same services to someone willing to give me a week or two of their training.??

I posted this on another forum and recieved a few responses telling how hard it is to start an LCO etc etc......Let me make it perfectly clear that we have a plan, we realize how hard it will be, we understand that there will be lean times and we are more than willing to start out small and work hard to grow.......

I imagine this sounds pretty far fetched but you dont know if you dont ask....
Old 09-19-2002, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We're not in Florida.... as a matter of fact, we're about as far north from FLA as you can get..... but, you'd be welcome here, if you like....

Although, I'd be amazed if this is the only offer you get considering the quaility of the people who post here. You'll most likely have numerous offers to sift through....

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Ken,

What a great idea you have!!

Give me a call in Florida (N of Tampa) at 352-588-0459........I think I can hook you up with a professional.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How about St Louis, MO?
Old 09-20-2002, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

memphis too!

guess he'd need experience in all the grass types down that way.

60" Exmark Lazer Z 26 EFI with Ultra Vac
(2) 52" Exmark Lazer Z HP 23 Kawi with/Ultra Vac
36" Metro with 12.5 Kawi
Redmax bcz3000 trimmer
(2) Redmax 7001 blowers
(2) Stihl FC85 stick edgers
Old 09-20-2002, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We're in Cocoa Beach (Brevard County) .... 45 Minutes E of O town .... you help my 4 man crew work on Th & F (they do 130 homes in 2 days!) n I'll talk your ear off M-T-W

Steve

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 09-20-2002, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Steve,

We used to live in "O" town, back in the days of "shaq". Have spent many a weekend in Coco.

That sounds like a plan, i would like to talk some more with you about it. What services do you guys perform? How long have you been in the biz? Whats the competition like in Coco?

thanks for replying..I have gotten more replies to this post than I thought I would......you guys are awesome......

by your signature looks like you were born cross-eyed?
Deadhead by any chance?

thanks again,

Ken

:blob3: :blob1: :blob4:
Old 09-26-2002, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Ken,

Just admiring your company logo.......very professional and impressive!!

Wanted to point out that in Florida, you CANNOT advertise pest control services unless you are a Florida State Certified PCO. Assuming you have your Commercial Limited Pesticide Applicators License ONLY, you still cannot advertise this service. There is a fine involved as it is against Florida State Law.

I definitely suggest anyone in the profession look into doing pc/fer requirements where the profits should be about a 50% net. I teach classes in PC for the Fl Bureau of Entomology for CEU's and requirements so call me if I can help. Scheduling classes as we speak in all major cities in Fl.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Bill,

Thanks for the compliment on the logo.....

I will not be doing any fert/squirt applications for a while. Once I get up and running then I will look into it further. I did manage to have a look at your website (very impressive) and have saved your contact info. I was just experimenting with the logo/business card to see what the software package could do....I was going to put "diaper changing" on there as well as this seems to be one of my more common services performed lately. Once we get up and running, the final logo/business card will look significantly different.

Thanks again,

Ken
Old 09-29-2002, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Ken,

GREEN-N-GROW Lawn Care here,

Would like to also compliment you on your Logo very impressive.
Would like some help on mine. Have been in the biz for 6 years and have really needed some help on a good looking logo. One that catches the eye.

Looks like you have really planned this thing out. I hope nothing but the best for you.

You will do OK sure glad that your aren't moving to Central KY.
But, if you want some hands on experience I sure could use some next year.

Good Luck

MARK DOUGLAS