Register free!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tex Bill Introduced

Texas HB 2507 was Introduced in the Texas House on March 8. It outlines a penalty for installation of an irrigation system without as license as a Class C misdemeanor. It is in the first stage of seven required stages for it to make it through the TX House. Here is link to the Bill: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...2R&Bill=HB2507
Old 03-13-2011, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you mean that you will only be allowed to install irrigation if you are licensed?

does this mean that a ho cannot?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

HO's fall under the exemptions in the state law, with several others. Link to exemption list: http://law.onecle.com/texas/occupati...03.002.00.html
However, as of last year, everyone has to have a drawing done by a TX Licensed Irrigator, have a Checklist filled out, backflow installed by a plumber or Irrigator and tested by a Licensed Tester and they need to pull a permit.
We will still have the issue of enforcement.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, I didn't answer your first question. Yes, you have to be a Licensed Irrigator or a Licensed Plumber to install a lawn sprinkler system in Texas. Unless you fall under the list of exemptions.
A Licensed Irrigator or Licensed Technician must be on the jobsite at all times. (or a Licensed Plumber)
That is why the Technician License was recently introduced. So a licensed person would be on the jobsite.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

.....and still they feed systems through DCVAs.......
Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

With the exception of the proposed bill the new reg's have been in place since January 2010.
As Boots noted enforcement has become the real issue. TCEQ or the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality is a massive state agency involved in everything from pollution standards through to irrigation. As such the state of Texas has quantified what areas to more vigorously enforce however TCEQ does have Licensed Inspectors for irrigation systems.
Regarding DCVA use I have heard the majority of populated areas are prohibiting the use of these devices and are requiring alternatives.
Biggest problem is the actual size and population count in Texas - quite simply put the state is huge and forty or so inspectors covering a state of this size means on a percentile scale unless the permit issuing agency is awake, a bunch of unlicensed/poorly designed systems will still be installed.
I am of two minds regarding the criminal penalty approach however considering the existent fine structure at TCEQ being a first offense is usually $2,500.00 it does make sense to impose a criminal sanction as well. I just don't like the state intruding to this degree but understand something has to be done to curb the hackers.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

TCEQ is the second largest environmental organization in this country next to the EPA. I'd rather see the hacks forced to go through an IRS audit than get a Class C misdemeanor.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
TCEQ is the second largest environmental organization in this country next to the EPA. I'd rather see the hacks forced to go through an IRS audit than get a Class C misdemeanor.
Amen... Although I really need to get my lic # on the sides of my new truck. The 2011 f-250 is too pretty to put those numbers on.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
Amen... Although I really need to get my lic # on the sides of my new truck. The 2011 f-250 is too pretty to put those numbers on.
Use magnetic "stickers".
Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

So now I am a hack ? ? ? ?