Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2011, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

we're done !

We are done with takedowns ! we actually finished taking down items on tuesday or the 18th, and the shop foreman and shop crew finished unloading and warehousing those items on the 19th. we also cleaned all the trucks and organized a ton of stuff yesterday at the shop to get ready for next year. we still had some miscellaneous boxed up stuff in the shop/organization to finish up today, but we are snowed in and probably will finish that tomorrow.

then next week, finally getting back to finishing construction on my shop.

I am absolutely thrilled with finishing takedowns this early. I normally finish up on Jan 31 or so, sometimes going as late as Feb. 5. I went back and checked, and the last time we finished this early was 2004. that was way back when we had a lot less clients. and less workers to be sure. The main thing that was different this year was twofold: running 4 crews on takedowns and fantastic weather the first week of January.

I can't believe I always forget how much a crew can take down in a day when the weather is decent. It seems the first few days I was underloading the guys with work, and then I overload them and they can't fit it all in thier truck. it really was a balancing act, as you can send guys to 5 houses in the same neighborhood, and then they can't fit it all in the truck. or they can do 3 of those and then some c-9 jobs a few neighborhoods over with less volume ( garland, bows, yard art-steel frame structures, wreaths ) but more work ( roof time.

I will repeat it here what I have learned this year, that on my jobs, 2 guys working 8-5 or 8-6 on good weather days, without perfect routing, cannot effectively do takedowns all day with a 14 foot box van. 18-20 foot is what is really needed. I would say 16 foot is the minimum if it is an 8 foot tall box with the shelf over the cab like a uhaul or aero van. so all you guys looking to buy a boxvan next year or an enclosed trailer need to plan on that. If we had larger trucks, we would have finished last week easy. and payroll would have been probably less. but getting things done quicker this year REALLY minimized complaints.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Congrats!!! We have a long way to go! Its so cold here only 7 for the high (Friday)! We took down all the Wreathes and garland.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Haven;t even gotten half done so far, snowing every other day, no access getting to roofs or trees, and Lord knows we have well got our share of ice at this point. Looking at the long range forecast, we are set in this type of a pattern for this month and now they are talking February as well. They are talking about a storm next week that if it does realize, we could be looking at 3-5 FEET. We have gotten over 4' since Christmas, and they are landing every two - three days. At this point, April.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 01-22-2011, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Perfect, send your guys up here. We are leaving crazy amounts of material behind, getting what we can.

We to may be taking down in April. Never gone past Janueary 30 with take downs, with 1 week to go we have over 1/2 our houses left and the 1/2 we have taken down still have cords frozen in the ground, or roof lights still up...
Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

sorry you guys have to deal with crazy cold and yucky stuff. I guess having 2 teams in the super bowl from up north makes up for it?

we had fantastic weather for us, but there was 3 days in there that we had snow and roads were unsafe and schools were closed. but since it is the south, we thawed out prett quick and got back at it and were able to finish.

good luck, and keep updating as you guys finish up. I am curious when you guys finish up takedowns.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't get near anything here. Even though we missed the storm that absolutely buried Bryan yesterday (19 inches plus of the heavy wet stuff 40 miles North of NYC where I dropped a load of salt last night,) we have had consistently colder than "normal" weather here, and on top of the 50+ inches so far, hopeless cause at this point. I am actually considering taking the bucket truck off the road until we can get moving again. I absolutely need it for 3 of them, but at this point, Lord only knows when the access is going to exist.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

We have 4 left to do, but all have gutters that are full of ice. Looking at the weather forecast, i don't know when they will thaw out. Now the decision of wait or go chip the lights out of the gutter????
Old 01-29-2011, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We will finish up taking greenery down on Monday. Been running 1 two man crew for this. Then I am shutting down until this snow and ice goes away. We have had 5 ft of snow so far another 1-2 inches expected tonite and then another "big one" tuesday into wednesday. This is ridiculous at this point, never had to deal with this much snow before. We are on pace to shatter the record for most snow EVER....

Just wasting labor and damaging material at this point.....cant even get my house down.....

Tq23, chipping for us is not an option, we tried one year and all we did was break material, gutters and shingles not worth it at all....
Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Same here in Westchester COunty, Still have 40 or so to go plus mine and 6 neighbors. Light Links,C-9 frozen and minis buried. Also doing garlands and wreaths only where possible. Hope we don't lose customers because of this. Who knows how much snow now for Tuesday.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat! It's taking long to get this stuff down! Now here (Chicago) more snow and very cold next week. I should been done with taking downs by St Patrick Day?