Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2011, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
I told my uncle that I have to derate my small tag equipment trailer when I get a dually truck to stay under CDL and he said in NY you cant. That DOT wont look at the registration alone but at the trailer manufacturer plate too and they have to match up. That would be BS if people have to sell thier trailers and buy new ones for this reason. I understand that obviously if you derate anything then you can no longer use it at its full capacity.
You can derate a trailer but not with the registration. It has to be done on the title, and then a new VIN plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limaint View Post
It's cheaper to pay the fine for being out of class than for being overweight on a de-rated trailer.
Operating out of class is the same as operating without a license which will get you thrown in jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbuilt View Post
I down graded my 12000ld trailer to 10000lb to be under CDL.
It was working like a charm until i met with my favorite DOT officer .
He put me out of service and sent me home with out my trailer with a $ 5000 ticket in my pocket on Christmas eve day .

What makes you a specific GVWR in my area is Tires, Axle WT , hitch rating .
My trailer was a 12000 lb trailer that was down graded to 10000lb from the manufacture the only difference was the certificate of origin sticker.
I called the manufactured in pa and told him my problem and for 35 bucks he sent me a certificate of origin sticker for the trailer with my vin number .
I studied for my CDL christmas eve/ christmas day and the following day and took my written test and passed with 1 wrong on all the sections .
Three days later i passed the road test .
Its easy just get the CDL .
The office let me slide on the ticket since i showed up with the trailer registration in order and a class A CDL in 7 days .

Park weld you are fine with a lower gvwr , you pay less for the registration .
John
I don't get it.

Why did you need a class A if your trailer is rated at 10k GVWR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
I don't get it.

im guessing there is more to that story that we will never hear.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
You can derate a trailer but not with the registration. It has to be done on the title, and then a new VIN plate.

Operating out of class is the same as operating without a license which will get you thrown in jail.

Ah, Yes! That sounds like eough of a PITA to be true! NY

I do want to get a CDL but I need a helper to be able to drive my junk.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbuilt View Post
I down graded my 12000ld trailer to 10000lb to be under CDL.
It was working like a charm until i met with my favorite DOT officer .
He put me out of service and sent me home with out my trailer with a $ 5000 ticket in my pocket on Christmas eve day .

What makes you a specific GVWR in my area is Tires, Axle WT , hitch rating .
My trailer was a 12000 lb trailer that was down graded to 10000lb from the manufacture the only difference was the certificate of origin sticker.
I called the manufactured in pa and told him my problem and for 35 bucks he sent me a certificate of origin sticker for the trailer with my vin number .
I studied for my CDL christmas eve/ christmas day and the following day and took my written test and passed with 1 wrong on all the sections .
Three days later i passed the road test .
Its easy just get the CDL .
The office let me slide on the ticket since i showed up with the trailer registration in order and a class A CDL in 7 days .

Park weld you are fine with a lower gvwr , you pay less for the registration .
John
Thats good to know. So if the trailer manf. downgrades it is ok? Or is it that it was built out of state?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

That is wrong, at least in NY. There is only unladen weight on any NY title that I have ever seen. GVWR is stated by the registrant at the time of registration.

(I was referring to post #11)
Old 03-15-2011, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hes right. I took a look at the title. No one carries their title with them anyway but something tells me that you do have to get that new Manufacture plate or origin sticker for some reason. Then the question would be weather or not the particular trailer manufacturer would be willing to do it or not.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe there is something to do other than stating max gvw when registering, i still don't believe it though. I would believe it if someone could prove it. As far as my business is concerned, it has been proven to me second hand thru inspection by the most picky DOT officer that patrols areas where I do business, that registering a trailer for the lower max gvwr that you will use, even though the trailer was rated higher by the manufacturer, is correct.

Example:
Another business owner, whom I have a professional relationship with, had to pass thru a weigh station and inspection on a NYS highway. Was fine. Immediately after was stopped by local DOT officer who wanted to scale his rig. Was fine. No one that drives the truck/trailer for his company has CDL.

The rig-Crew cab F350 dually and gooseneck deckover flatbed equipment trailer with tandem duals. Trailer was plated by manufacturer at somewhere in the 19K-21K range. Trailer was simply registered for the appropriate gvwr# to, in combination with said F350, add up to 26k.

With the truck and that size trailer with the equipment and tanks that are mounted on it, it screams "pull me over and check me out". It is Legal.

If those inspections resulted in the conclusion that the registered gvw is what's important, than that's what I'll go with.

I would have liked to purchase a new trailer to the exact specs that I need for my use, but it isn't/wasn't in the budget. I'll roll with my sweet de-rated 1982 Eager Beaver until further notice.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

4 seasons- The Cam trailer you have, does that have 7000# or 8000# axles? What do you haul on it?

I was looking at the low deck equipment trailers they make that have 8000# axles, but they got too far out of my price range and my excavator would fit tween the fenders with only 1/2" to 3/4" clearance on either side.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I don't get it.

When i bought the trailer the trailer was a 10,000/ 12000lb trailer .
Since i was pulling with a f 350 I was under CDL .
I moved up to a cab over dump and went over CDL buy 2000lbs so since my trailer was listed as a 10/ 12000lb trailer i down graded it at motor vehicle to 10000lbs .
I never saw the wt rating on my certificate of origin sticker witch was 12000lbs in very small numbers with the vin # .

Some trailer manufacturer will down grade the trailer for you .
The trailer manufacturer that helped me out was ringo out of PA.
good trailer good people .
I went for my cdl after the trailer was down graded because i have 2 dump trailers that are 12000lbs that i could not get the wt changed .
In the last 2 years i bought a heavier truck to larger tag trailers 16000 /
22000 12000lb EX and a new to me dozer .
There is only one way to go , Up John