Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2011, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkWelding View Post
That is wrong, at least in NY. There is only unladen weight on any NY title that I have ever seen. GVWR is stated by the registrant at the time of registration.

(I was referring to post #11)
How do you "state" the GVWR?

GVWR is what is on the ID tag on the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Maybe there is something to do other than stating max gvw when registering, i still don't believe it though. I would believe it if someone could prove it. As far as my business is concerned, it has been proven to me second hand thru inspection by the most picky DOT officer that patrols areas where I do business, that registering a trailer for the lower max gvw that you will use, even though the trailer was rated higher by the manufacturer, is correct.

Example:
Another business owner, whom I have a professional relationship with, had to pass thru a weigh station and inspection on a NYS highway. Was fine. Immediately after was stopped by local DOT officer who wanted to scale his rig. Was fine. No one that drives the truck/trailer for his company has CDL.

The rig-Crew cab F350 dually and goose neck deck over flatbed equipment trailer with tandem duals. Trailer was plated by manufacturer at somewhere in the 19K-21K range. Trailer was simply registered for the appropriate gvwr# to, in combination with said F350, add up to 26k.

With the truck and that size trailer with the equipment and tanks that are mounted on it, it screams "pull me over and check me out". It is Legal.

If those inspections resulted in the conclusion that the registered gvw is what's important, than that's what I'll go with.

I would have liked to purchase a new trailer to the exact specs that I need for my use, but it isn't/wasn't in the budget. I'll roll with my sweet derated 1982 Eager Beaver until further notice.
If your truck is registered to a business and has signed ( Commercial vehicle ) and is pulled over you will be jailed and impounded ( no question )

If I load up my sail boat 17000lbs and head off with the wife and kids for some boating no one even looks at me . (Pleasure use)

If you are towing with a none commercial truck you could get away with it once or twice maybe .
The fine on my ticket was $5000 You don't want to go there .
It just is not legal Get the guys there CDL
John
Old 03-16-2011, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

You say it's not legal. Tell me why its not legal. Please tell me how a combined truck/trailer combination at or under 26K, is not legal.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You say it's not legal. Tell me why its not legal. Please tell me how a combined truck/trailer combination at or under 26K, is not legal.
Not legal without a class A?

Here.

Quote:
new-old trailer this year. 22,000gvwr,.
Quote:
2500 ram diesel - 9k GVWR
22k + 9k = 31k GCWR.

Quote:
Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My trailer is the 7 ton model with 7000 lb axles so I guess that leaves a 2000 lb hitch weight. There is one larger model than my trailer before you go to tri's or dual's.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post

Here.

22k + 9k = 31k GCWR.
The original topic was de-rating trailers in NY. Why don't you quote the whole sentence, if you're going to quote at all??
Old 03-16-2011, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
A 26000lb combo is legal , But if you have a trailer with no certificate of orange sticker with your vin #s on it from the manufacture .
The dot officer just adds up the pay load of your tires checks your axle weight ( Its marked most of the time ) and looks at your hitch its a no brain-er . They will lock you up and impound your rig.
Your registered WT can be down graded to hall less and pay less road tax , but as far as a cdl gos you better get one .
Old 03-17-2011, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The original topic was de-rating trailers in NY. Why don't you quote the whole sentence, if you're going to quote at all??
Because you asked how you would not be legal. For purposes of DL GVWR is really all that matters.

Quote:
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dave you will get nailed derating your trailer. May take a while, might not.
If you plan on gettin your cdl, why take a chanch?? Get the CDL and dont worry about it. The one thing we have going for us around here is we dont see too many DOT guys around here. But with the state needing $$ thats gonna change.....
Old 03-17-2011, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post

Here.

22k + 9k = 31k GCWR.
And they would still get him for being illegal. Legal GCWR for that truck is way lower. 22K or 24K. That trailer would use up most or all of its GCWR.