Register free!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Think I found a winner!!

Had a 4150 sq foot sod install going on today that by the time I figured what my cost would be, I figured it would be cheaper to sub out to one of my sod suppliers based on the cost he was giving me for install and removal and sod this time of year ($0.63 a sq). I am walking away with 5 beans today for doing nothing but making a phone call and running a wheel to measure, good deal right? Well it gets better.

I go to the property today as the guys crew is doing the removal and I want to ensure the quality is what I expected and things were going as planned and to follow up on a measuring question.

I meet the removal crew, they are doing a great job. I talk to the boss/owner about using him directly, turns out he is close to my location. He tells me in our area (several cities) he will do the same quality work (again which is very good) for $0.15 a square for removal and installation and I just purchase the sod like I normally would.

This is huge for me as I was paying close to that for just removal alone, no sod installation.

You guys running into people like this with the economy?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Had a 4150 sq foot sod install going on today that by the time I figured what my cost would be, I figured it would be cheaper to sub out to one of my sod suppliers based on the cost he was giving me for install and removal and sod this time of year ($0.63 a sq). I am walking away with 5 beans today for doing nothing but making a phone call and running a wheel to measure, good deal right? Well it gets better.

I go to the property today as the guys crew is doing the removal and I want to ensure the quality is what I expected and things were going as planned and to follow up on a measuring question.

I meet the removal crew, they are doing a great job. I talk to the boss/owner about using him directly, turns out he is close to my location. He tells me in our area (several cities) he will do the same quality work (again which is very good) for $0.15 a square for removal and installation and I just purchase the sod like I normally would.

This is huge for me as I was paying close to that for just removal alone, no sod installation.

You guys running into people like this with the economy?
Mikey

Watch him like hawk, at those prices he will knife you in the back just like he did your supplier. If he had no loyalty to your supplier he will have no loyalty to you. At $ 0.15 a sq ft labor to remove and lay sod this guy is hungry.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Very good point ric, at these prices I am concerned with how long the quality will be there. The thing that makes me think it might be ok is that he is 20 years in, does work essentially for several local sod suppliers, including the l and o company that I have currently been recommending for the last year or so.
I hope it does work out, but will keep my eyes wide open
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2011, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm willing to bet I know who it is. I don't mean know him personally, but I think he did the install on a 6000 ft job for me a couple years back.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday I experienced the same thing. Someone with an excavating business priced out a job drilling holes for trees so cheap it was not worth it for me to bother with it. I gave him the name of the property owner looking for holes (to get his ag exemption) and will see how the job goes. If it is acceptable I will refer him to several others. Let them work for nothing if that's what keeps them going.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'm willing to bet I know who it is. I don't mean know him personally, but I think he did the install on a 6000 ft job for me a couple years back.
Shoot a first name and we shall see

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Yesterday I experienced the same thing. Someone with an excavating business priced out a job drilling holes for trees so cheap it was not worth it for me to bother with it. I gave him the name of the property owner looking for holes (to get his ag exemption) and will see how the job goes. If it is acceptable I will refer him to several others. Let them work for nothing if that's what keeps them going.
I am finding more and more people like this, that is what is concerning, really. I just do not see how folks are making a living doing this at these rates. This guy has been doing this for 20 years and works for some of the biggest sod suppliers in my area - simply amazing.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Shoot a first name and we shall see
Can't remember, but I believe he drove a white Ford flatbed and had a dump trailer. If the sod came from the place that really pushes the Seville St. Augustine, I am sure it's the same guy.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's not the dude on CL is it? Never rent a sod cutter again ad???
Old 03-17-2011, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
It's not the dude on CL is it? Never rent a sod cutter again ad???
Not that i am aware of - that guy is like 5 cents a square - but he does not do removal - just cutting at that price.