View Poll Results: What do you think of biodynamic agriculture
This stuff is for real 0 0%
Possible that some aspects are factual 2 100.00%
what a joke....it is a pile of bulls%$#! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2011, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

biodynamics

Just curious if any of you have experience with this. After some research I am a bit curious and entertained by the practice.

Last edited by gunsnroses; 03-15-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

From Wiki:

Field preparations

Field preparations, for stimulating humus formation:

* 500: (horn-manure) a humus mixture prepared by filling the horn of a cow with cow manure and burying it in the ground (40–60 cm below the surface) in the autumn. It is left to decompose during the winter and recovered for use the following spring.
* 501: Crushed powdered quartz prepared by stuffing it into a horn of a cow and buried into the ground in spring and taken out in autumn. It can be mixed with 500 but usually prepared on its own (mixture of 1 tablespoon of quartz powder to 250 liters of water) The mixture is sprayed under very low pressure over the crop during the wet season, in an attempt to prevent fungal diseases. It should be sprayed on an overcast day or early in the morning to prevent burning of the leaves.

Both 500 and 501 are used on fields by stirring about one teaspoon of the contents of a horn in 40–60 liters of water for an hour and whirling it in different directions every second minute. Although some biodynamic beliefs refer to buried quartz "fermenting", a 2004 review commented that it is unclear what this actually means, as rock does not ferment.[14]
[edit] Compost preparations

Compost preparations, used for preparing compost, employ herbs which are frequently used in medicinal remedies:

* 502: Yarrow blossoms (Achillea millefolium) are stuffed into urinary bladders from Red Deer (Cervus elaphus), placed in the sun during summer, buried in earth during winter and retrieved in the spring.
* 503: Chamomile blossoms (Matricaria recutita) are stuffed into small intestines from cattle buried in humus-rich earth in the autumn and retrieved in the spring.
* 504: Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica) plants in full bloom are stuffed together underground surrounded on all sides by peat for a year.
* 505: Oak bark (Quercus robur) is chopped in small pieces, placed inside the skull of a domesticated animal, surrounded by peat and buried in earth in a place where lots of rain water runs past.
* 506: Dandelion flowers (Taraxacum officinale) is stuffed into the peritoneum of cattle and buried in earth during winter and retrieved in the spring.
* 507: Valerian flowers (Valeriana officinalis) are extracted into water.
* 508: Horsetail (Equisetum)

The approach considers that there are astronomical influences on soil and plant development, specifying, for example, what phase of the moon is most appropriate for planting, cultivating or harvesting various kinds of crops.[15] This aspect of biodynamics has been termed "astrological" in nature.[16]
[edit] Treatment of pests and weeds

* Pests such as insects or field mice (Apodemus) have more complex processes associated with them, depending on what pest is to be targeted. For example field mice are to be countered by deploying ashes prepared from field mice skin when Venus is in the Scorpius constellation.

* Weeds are combated (besides the usual mechanical methods) by collecting seeds from the weeds and burning them above a wooden flame that was kindled by the weeds. The ashes from the seeds are then spread on the fields, then lightly sprayed with the clear urine of a sterile cow (the urine should be exposed to the full moon for six hours), this is intended to block the influence from the full moon on the particular weed and make it infertile.

I would fear being arrested for doing some of these practices! , "no officer, these skulls are holding the ashes of field mice skins didn't you know Venus is in the Scorpius constellation right now, gosh!"
Old 03-15-2011, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackgrass View Post
, "no officer, these skulls are holding the ashes of field mice skins didn't you know Venus is in the Scorpius constellation right now, gosh!"
I know...it is a bit Freaky but awesome in the same.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

a truly organic approach to farming is great to think about, but I don't see the world going back to it. It used to be that 9 out of 10 people in the work force were in the field managing food production, that left only 1 out of 10 to pursue other interests like science, medicine, manufacturing etc.

Part of me would like a return to the middle ages, but another part likes knowing someone can help my kid if she becomes ill, and that I'll always have food on the table!

Biodynamics seems like a good hobby for the self sufficient spiritual types though.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmmm. "Double, double, toil and trouble,
Fire burn and caldron bubble."

"Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog."

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 03-15-2011, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:l augh:
Old 03-15-2011, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

By the time someone got done doing all that I would of already grown and ate my harvest.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
Hmmmm. "Double, double, toil and trouble,
Fire burn and caldron bubble."

"Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog."
Hmmmmm .... yes.

Maybe someone can provide another copy & paste quote for Agroecology?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Hmmmmm .... yes.

Maybe someone can provide another copy & paste quote for Agroecology?
Ain't Wikipedia wonderful?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

stranger things are out there, like the use of atrazine is good, round up ready crops are good, GMO alfalfa, corn and soy beans are good

we are all sitting back and poisoning our entire society, you may be putting too much stock in bull horns because it is low hanging fruit, the main point being that being attached to your land and knowing how the weather, soil, earth influence it

Biodynamics is much more than packing a bull horn with something, there is some very sage advice in their practices

hey whatever works, at least they don't depend on endocrine disrupters