Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-15-2011, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Who has added 120k+ gross sales in one year and how did you do it.

I want to add 120K+ in gross sales this year to my business. If you've done it or know someone who has, how did they do it.

Did you do the door hanger/direct mailing/brochure thing? How about other types of marketing? Cold calling commercial businesses? Adding services your company offers? Up-selling current clients? Was it one big client or was it many new customers? Was it a whole year marketing plan or one big promotional push?

What did it entail and what was the investment made to make it happen?

Thanks in advance.
2005 Ford F-450 dump 6.0 Diesel
2008 20' x 8.5' Enclosed Trailer
2 -7x16" Trailers
1999-2010 Exmarks, Kubota, Husqvarna and Walker mowers.
Stihl blowers, trimmers, edgers, etc.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Leaf Maint View Post
I want to add 120K+ in gross sales this year to my business. If you've done it or know someone who has, how did they do it.

Did you do the door hanger/direct mailing/brochure thing? How about other types of marketing? Cold calling commercial businesses? Adding services your company offers? Up-selling current clients? Was it one big client or was it many new customers? Was it a whole year marketing plan or one big promotional push?

What did it entail and what was the investment made to make it happen?

Thanks in advance.
speed is not the key in this line of work for growing your buss.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons lawn View Post
speed is not the key in this line of work for growing your buss.
Can you answer his question? Speed may be exactly what he needs.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Go buy someone out - that will increase your sale fast.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you going from 0-120? 120-240? 1.5-1.62?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm always a lot more interested in how much I keep.....instead of how much I make.

Buy someone out, if you want to instantly grow your business.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are under 300k now and want to add 120k to your gross there are a couple of way to do it. One way to do it is purchase a company or a couple of companies totaling 120k or so. This way you can expand and many systems and clients are in place. The other way is to add the 120k to your company. If you are doing less then 300k this will be a huge undertaking that could possibly lead you into bankruptcy. You will have to add employees, equipment, trucks and a very aggressive marketing stategy that may lead to very low margins.
Sometimes slower growth is more profitable and easier to control.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Consistency is key. It does you no good to work your butt off at add new accounts on the front end while loosing them on the back end.

We did it by consistently going through our rotations making sure we didn't miss an opportunity to service the clients. L/S light bulb replacements, fertilizing, irrigation repairs, dead plant replacements, tree trimming, that probably accounted for 30% of our growth.

I also bought a hand-full of accounts that accounted for about 25% of our growth.

Lastly I had a install contractor I had been working on for years to refer me to his clients with recently completed jobs. He finally had it with the guy he had recommenced for decades and he began to send me referrals. That accounted for about 35% of our growth.

The rest came from other referral sources. We went from the low 400-K to high 600-K last year. I should note that I had always been in the 500-600-K range for years but had a supervisor that got a little loose with the irrigation controllers and I lost a bunch of clients due to high water bills about 2 years ago. We turned that weakness into a strength and now we have one of the most aggressive water management programs around. But it has taken me 2 years to rebound.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 03-15-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezek View Post
Are you going from 0-120? 120-240? 1.5-1.62?
I'd be going from 120k to 240k. Last year I went from 60k to 120k and I want to keep up that kind of growth. It will be an adjustment I'm sure but before I started my own company I worked in sales and management of a landscape company that did 1 million+ in sales so I have an idea as to how to get the work done I just was hoping that others could tell me how they grew the business.

I am talking to a guy who is selling his business that would add 150k+ to my business but its going to take a large investment to buy it and I was wondering if there are other ways to get the growth without buying someone out which seems expensive.
2005 Ford F-450 dump 6.0 Diesel
2008 20' x 8.5' Enclosed Trailer
2 -7x16" Trailers
1999-2010 Exmarks, Kubota, Husqvarna and Walker mowers.
Stihl blowers, trimmers, edgers, etc.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Leaf Maint View Post
I'd be going from 120k to 240k. Last year I went from 60k to 120k and I want to keep up that kind of growth. It will be an adjustment I'm sure but before I started my own company I worked in sales and management of a landscape company that did 1 million+ in sales so I have an idea as to how to get the work done I just was hoping that others could tell me how they grew the business.

I am talking to a guy who is selling his business that would add 150k+ to my business but its going to take a large investment to buy it and I was wondering if there are other ways to get the growth without buying someone out which seems expensive.
I would be careful throwing numbers around on here if they dont match your I R S statements. Just something to think about