Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-15-2011, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 with Duramax Diesel

I've been looking at a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 equipped with the duramax diesel at a local GM dealer near me. The truck has 236 000 km or about 150 000 miles. Wasn't used for anything but personal transportation. Asking price is $18 000 Canadian. I was wondering a few things about this truck:
1. How long does a duramax diesel and allison tranny last?
2. Any known issues with this year of truck?
3. Fuel economy?

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That truck will have the LLY engine in it, which was a pretty good series. I didn't have the injector problems that the previous generation had in the 2001-2004 trucks.

Its tough to find out since the truck is at a dealer, but if the truck had a programmer/tuner on it, you could have premature tranny problems. The Allison transmissions are awesome, but like anything else it all depends on how well it was maintained. Same thing with the engine, programmers/tuners can really stress the engine out if they were run at a higher tune level without proper modifications (which I don't know much about). But if the truck didn't have any sort of programmer on it and it had proper maintenance, you can probably expect 250k-300k miles out of it. Its tough to really say how long it will last. There are trucks out there that still have their original engines and trannys and have 700k on them.

Fuel economy is going to depend on what rear end you have, 3.73 or 4.10. I would assume its a 3.73, which will get you pretty good mileage. You can probably expect upper teens to around 20 on the highway and lower teens around town. Depending on how you drive and the highway speeds you drive, those numbers could go down or up.

I feel like there is something with that engine (nothing major at all) that you can do to fix a minor problem that some encounter. I just can't think of it right now.

Overall, good truck/engine/tranny...just depends if you want to buy a truck with 150k on it, hoping that it was taken care of well.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

that's alot of miles...I know the diesel engine will run forever..etc. etc. etc. but there is alot more to that truck than the motor, my gas truck has 151,000 on it..motor is great, but it's rusting, needs front brakes, rebuilt the rearend last fall, rattles, and so on!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttaluv View Post
that's alot of miles...I know the diesel engine will run forever..etc. etc. etc. but there is alot more to that truck than the motor, my gas truck has 151,000 on it..motor is great, but it's rusting, needs front brakes, rebuilt the rearend last fall, rattles, and so on!
I completely agree. Im not sure why people seemed to be so unphased about a truck with high miles just because its a diesel. The rest of the truck will be worn out. Its not just the engine that is expensive to repair on 3/4 ton trucks. Have you priced the cost of having new ball joints installed? suspension? brakes, rotors, calipers, rear end etc?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the LLY 's have overheating problems ( well some of them).......the LLY's have the worst mileage out of the different duramax generations, its not real bad but not as good as it could be
Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 05 duramax and as we speak I'm in the middle of tearing it apart for new headgaskets. If the engine/tranny was maintained properly and no mods done to it, I'd expect them to outlast the rest of the truck. As the previous poster mentioned the LLY duramax (2004.5-2005) do run hot. In the summer and if your towing heavy you'll hear the fan on alot. I wouldn't worry about overheating though unless your towing massive loads on hot days pulling up a long steep hill. Fuel economy I see about 20hwy and 11-12 towing a good sized load. That's with some mods to the engine tho. . .and prolly also why I'm replacing headgaskets now. Not a fun engine to work on, there's alot of crap packed in that engine compartment.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Forgot to mention if I was getting a new truck I would get one with the lbz duramax (most 06's and early 07's before they went to the new body style). Lots of improvements over the lly, a 6-speed allison, and they don't have all the emissions junk the newer ones have.

If the price was right tho, I wouldnt pass up on a well maintained lly.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you to everyone for all of the responses. They've been extremely helpful in educating me about the duramax. I have a few other questions:

1. I came across a 2007 Sierra with the duramax diesel at a local dealer. This truck has 80 000 km (about 50 000 miles) and is good condition. It has the new body style. The salesman told me it had all of the emission controls on it. He also said they require a lot of maintenance. Any thoughts on the 07 duramax?

2. Is there a way of telling which generation of duramax a truck has? How do you know if it's an LBZ or LLY etc?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LLY were from 04.5 to 05....
LBZ were 05 to 07 "classic" body style
so if its a new body style with a DFP filter on it then its a LMM
Posted via Mobile Device