Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2011, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2000 f-550 7.3L- WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I am in the market and have been for awhile for a dedicated work truck(dump truck for leaves in fall, mulch and soil, and grass clippings year round to pull my 16ft trailer with. I am looking to not break the bank with my first dump truck and looking to have it paid off within a year. Most likely taking a 'loan out' through my uncle or just paying for it straight up. I dont like having any payments and dont as of right now. Everything is paid for and i want to keep it that way while im young at leased. The insurance premium on it is going to be 2100 dollars per year for full coverage with a $500 deductible.

Its a 2000 f-550 with a 2009 8' mason dump. Its get the 7.3L Diesel which i have heard is bullet proof. But it has pretty high mileage. Im not sure if i should worry about it but the price seems to reflect something sketchy. Its from a dealer in Florida that deals with only commercial trucks, they seem to think everything is fine and it has passed every inspection.

The mileage is 147,839. It has new brakes pads, calipers, brake lines, air filters, fuel filter, new mud flaps, and fully detailed.

I like the white color because it will match my 1500. And if i get it i would most likely get the newer lights installed, towing mirrors with side lights, smoke out the cab lights(recon like my 1500) and letter it all up with logo , services offered, and city,DOT, ect.
I would get a 9'6" v plow for it for winter and i would strobe the entire thing out like crazy. It also is 4x4

I would also repaint the undercarriage for preventative corrosion and rust and give it a full maintenance package, all new fluids in everything, and a complete tune up to maintain it so it lasts.

What i am asking, is with the looks and sounds of it, would you purchase a truck for 11,680 dollars delivered 1500 miles to your door off of a flatbed with already 150k miles on it? And do you think its a good deal? I am looking to close a deal within the next three weeks as i am landing a lot of pavers and complete landscape jobs and i dont want to have to rent a truck just to pull a heavy trailer load and not kill my 1500.

Its in florida so i doubt i would actually fly there to just check it out since it will be delivered for free. Ive talked with the dealer and they seem to have no doubts with the truck. To me, it honestly looks perfect for being 11 years old, with zero rust visible on the pictures and only some light rust in the actual bed from materials sliding.

Let me know what you all think.

thanks
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed

Last edited by DLONGLANDSCAPING; 03-16-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

or i could go balls out and get this. Same year, 7k more buy it now.

Little much to pull a lawn trailer around every day but i could grow into it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GREAT...#ht_500wt_1182

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-16-2011, 03:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 7.3's are know to be bullet proof. Said to be Ford's best but to purchase something that already has 150k miles is a gamble. I had recently seen a 2000 F650 grain dump on CL with 38k for $15k, it was listed for a year and I'm sure I could have worked the price to $13k. I think if you take a little more time, broaden your search area and remain patient you will find a better vehicle for a better price resulting in a better deal. Just my opinion. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2011, 04:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'll keep looking .150,000 miles seems like a lot to me too. But i dont honestly drive that much when im working. My work route totals around 55 miles per week. that includes going to get gas and everything. So for just mowing, im only putting on around 1,700 miles per year. Landscape and Mulch jobs add to that. But right now i am putting around 500 miles per week on my truck, going to school, plowing, and working. If i could eliminate the work miles and stress on the 1500 pulling a trailer, that it turn would last longer(since its already paid off) and i could get most likely 3 years out of this 550 or more, Even if i have to do a rebuild on the trans or engine, or replace them, my initial investment and the future investment of me saving my 1500 for daily driving i think is beneficial if i can get another 10 years out of my 1500 rather than 2 work years.

Here is what i came up with really quick on WORD. For lettering i might do it i get it. I also was looking at CDL, and i want to stay away from Commercial Plates as long as i can. The f650 that i was looking at would be 3100 per year in insurance and wouldnt be very beneficial for a lawn truck, and i would need commercial plates and a cdl

Earlier this year i was thinking about purchasing a 2010 F-350 xl for 34k brand new 1 mile on it. I would then have to get a 4k dump insert if i wanted it to be a dump truck like, and it was a crew cab with no power anything, and the lowest of low. I am thinking short term payoff and long term payoff would be both efficient with this 2000 truck. PLEASE KEEP THE OPINIONS GOING ALSO. I NEED MORE ADVICE BEFORE I DROP 14k after its all said and done with what i want to do.

Here's a quick pic of what i came up with, really rough i know, i just screen shot the images of my truck and copies them on to here.
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-16-2011, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

150k is barely breaking a powerstroke in. If it was maintained correctly, and continually maintained correctly, that truck will last double or triple that mileage easy.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 03-16-2011, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
150k is barely breaking a powerstroke in. If it was maintained correctly, and continually maintained correctly, that truck will last double or triple that mileage easy.
Agreed, that's a great looking truck too. If I were in your position, I would pick it up.

Do keep in mind though, that the fuel economy on that diesel will be OK, but isn't going to be something to write home about. The bigger the truck, the heavier it is, and the rear-end gearing will be pretty high.

For the price and what the 7.3's are going for, I would pick it up. The resale value on it will hold good too.

That or hold out a bit longer and find a bit cheaper truck. My first dump only cost me 3k and did 30k worth of business for me in 3 years before I killed it. Even my replacement truck had a plow and salt spreader with it, with full hydraulics for 9k and only 23k miles.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
exactly..with proper maintenance ofcourse. If your only going to put on 1700 miles a year plus other jobs and plowing lets call it 2500-3k That truck will last you longer then 3 years. You could run it for 10 years and up grade. Or run it for 3-5 and sell it for not much less then your paying for it now and up grade. If all is well with it then it is a perfect buy it seems. Did you try to work the price much?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would rather have a one ton, guessing ur combined weight on that is gonna be over 26k when u hook up a trailer and that gets u into a whole different ball game in terms of DOT nonsense. And I'm not too sure about buying it without driving it first. That being said, its a dang nice truck and seems like a heck of a good price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 2000 F350 dually that I bought new. You will go thru front wheel bearings about every 60-70k but other than that normal maintenance. Mine got killed at 165k by getting rear ended by a box truck. Best truck I ever had.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IES View Post
I had a 2000 F350 dually that I bought new. You will go thru front wheel bearings about every 60-70k but other than that normal maintenance. Mine got killed at 165k by getting rear ended by a box truck. Best truck I ever had.
Posted via Mobile Device
60-70k miles is fine with me. That is like normal wear on all front ends when hauling heavy loads, even on smaller trucks and suvs.

I offered them 9,200 dollars cash including delivery. I want to see if they will take this. I am going to be putting another 3k into it to make it my own. Im not sure but this might be one of the best deals i have ever seen. There is Zero rust on the body. Zero corrosion anywhere. This is a clean truck. I think i would put lower tool boxs on there, and a 35 gallon aux fuel tank and a 10 gallon mixed fuel tank for the lawn crew. All i would need to do is fab a receiver hitch, it comes with a pintle but not a 2"

Please give me more feedback and let me know before i make a decision on anything.

Thanks

Insured and Licensed