Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2011, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
I would rather have a one ton, guessing ur combined weight on that is gonna be over 26k when u hook up a trailer and that gets u into a whole different ball game in terms of DOT nonsense. And I'm not too sure about buying it without driving it first. That being said, its a dang nice truck and seems like a heck of a good price.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wasnt thinking about the trailer at all. I am in the class for cdl right now, i just didnt want to have to have the hassle of my employees getting theirs to drive it too, but i guess its better safe than sorry.

The gvwr is 21k my trailer is a 7k , so i am over the DOT weight ratings. I think i would need a B license endorsement, with 26k weight plates, and medical card on board.

It is a very clean truck, and is exactly what i need, being 18, i dont need a brand new truck with a 600 dollar car payment. Even if i financed it over 36 months. The payment would only be 300 dollars. Ya cant beat that.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Agreed, that's a great looking truck too. If I were in your position, I would pick it up.

Do keep in mind though, that the fuel economy on that diesel will be OK, but isn't going to be something to write home about. The bigger the truck, the heavier it is, and the rear-end gearing will be pretty high.

For the price and what the 7.3's are going for, I would pick it up. The resale value on it will hold good too.

That or hold out a bit longer and find a bit cheaper truck. My first dump only cost me 3k and did 30k worth of business for me in 3 years before I killed it. Even my replacement truck had a plow and salt spreader with it, with full hydraulics for 9k and only 23k miles.
Thanks for the input, i have always been a mopar guy and i love dodge trucks, but i wanted to find a good used powerstroke 7.3. Ford is def the way to go.

With regards to a plow or salter ever being on this, it has never even touched a salty road yet , this truck was used for hauling 2 pallets of pool cleaning solution back and fourth 250 mile stretches across the florida border to georgia. It never hauled dirt,rocks, or anything for that matter and the owner says it was 140k highway miles. and 7k city miles.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
150k is barely breaking a powerstroke in. If it was maintained correctly, and continually maintained correctly, that truck will last double or triple that mileage easy.
i am anal about maintaining my equipment and this truck has all its records, from a small dent repair in the hood, to every 4k miles oil change. Every 25k miles fluid changes, and Plugs at 50k and 100k miles.

And the carfax report is a 93, usually 2000 trucks are around a 83-87.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDelPrete View Post
exactly..with proper maintenance ofcourse. If your only going to put on 1700 miles a year plus other jobs and plowing lets call it 2500-3k That truck will last you longer then 3 years. You could run it for 10 years and up grade. Or run it for 3-5 and sell it for not much less then your paying for it now and up grade. If all is well with it then it is a perfect buy it seems. Did you try to work the price much?
thats what i figured to. I dont see the value dropping substancially in the next 5 years with the good engine and the near mint exterior. I will be adding nicer finishs to it also to clean it up.

I talked them down to 10,600 financing and i offered them $9200 cash. With the car being in fl i dont have to pay sales tax either which will save me around $650. all i would need was the title and paperwork. and its mine.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

If the oil has at least 400 miles on it do yourself a favor and make the deal contingent on a good oil analysis, from our perspective the near perfect condition of the body would make us consider this truck very seriously.
BUT for a truck this clean why is it being sold, especially in this economy??, red flag???

We had a 7.3 up until last year, an ok engine fuel consumption was high, the best engine Ford ever made was the late production run, '06/'07 of the 6.0 psd-yes
I mean that, we have two and at over 50k each they both run like tops, don't use a drop of oil between changes and get an honest 16 mpg. Ford finally fixed the 6.0 then.................

The only thing we don't like is the heui, but again 50k and running perfectly.

And yes to be honest I would rather have a Dmax or Cummins but the Ford ain't bad.

Last edited by jonathanone; 03-16-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The GVW on this truck is either 17,500 or 19,000 . Have them send you a pic of the door plate. Truck seems like a good buy. Looks like it will need tires soon. Not sure why anyone would recomend a 6.0 Ford.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanone View Post
If the oil has at least 400 miles on it do yourself a favor and make the deal contingent on a good oil analysis, from our perspective the near perfect condition of the body would make us consider this truck very seriously.
BUT for a truck this clean why is it being sold, especially in this economy??, red flag???

We had a 7.3 up until last year, an ok engine fuel consumption was high, the best engine Ford ever made was the late production run, '06/'07 of the 6.0 psd-yes
I mean that, we have two and at over 50k each they both run like tops, don't use a drop of oil between changes and get an honest 16 mpg. Ford finally fixed the 6.0 then.................

The only thing we don't like is the heui, but again 50k and running perfectly.

And yes to be honest I would rather have a Dmax or Cummins but the Ford ain't bad.
The carfax report had a mechanic check everything out, it was pretty extensive. I am calling the dealer at 9 to talk about details. I know what you mean with the mint condition exterior, under the hood it even got detailed. But within the engine , ya never know.

what should i look for as wear and tear in the engine that could be neglected? I most likely will have a mechanic up here look at it, before i hand over the cash. They do full returns if something isnt stated correctly in the description.

So i pretty much can have them deliver it, have my mechanic look it over extensively, and then decide whether its worth it or not. All i have to do is drive it back(prob 500 dollars in gas, but a good trip to FL with the Girl for a weekend.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
The GVW on this truck is either 17,500 or 19,000 . Have them send you a pic of the door plate. Truck seems like a good buy. Looks like it will need tires soon. Not sure why anyone would recomend a 6.0 Ford.
the late 6.0's like he said can be tuned to be absolutly amazing and if maintained right can last along time.

I am going to have them send all the pictures to me and go from there. I dont want to regret anything, but with the purchase saving me a dumpster removal fee and 450 dollars per job to rent a HD truck, i already lined up 3 big jobs that can pay for half of it.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

150 is nothing thats a really clean looking truck.. Also I have also heard the 6.0's were better in there later years, however I still would not take a chance. There are two better engine choices out there from the year 2006-2007 Cummins being one of them and the duramax being the other!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak406 View Post
150 is nothing thats a really clean looking truck.. Also I have also heard the 6.0's were better in there later years, however I still would not take a chance. There are two better engine choices out there from the year 2006-2007 Cummins being one of them and the duramax being the other!
haha, good point. thats a good way to put it. I honestly think that the 5.4L V8 Tritons were better than the earlier 6.0's. They are reliable. My buddy has a 2008 f-350 with a triton and he has around 190k on it. Fleet maintained every 2500 miles but its worth it if you can get that life out of a truck.

Just talked to the dealer about my offer, hes calling me back within the next 48 hours after his boss gets back from vacation.

Insured and Licensed