Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-16-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would rather spend 500 on a flight to look at the truck in person than have it delivered without seeing it. If you fly in and look at it and it isnt all that the dealer claimed then it cost you 1k if its bought sight unseen and there are problems that could have been picked up then its going to cost alot more than 1k. He may say 11k is the bottom line over the phone but if you show up with 1ok in cash he wont let you leave without it. You wont regret buying this type of truck for your business.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
I would rather spend 500 on a flight to look at the truck in person than have it delivered without seeing it. If you fly in and look at it and it isnt all that the dealer claimed then it cost you 1k if its bought sight unseen and there are problems that could have been picked up then its going to cost alot more than 1k. He may say 11k is the bottom line over the phone but if you show up with 1ok in cash he wont let you leave without it. You wont regret buying this type of truck for your business.
Good point, i completely understand what your talking about .

Also the video above really helped. I think if i go to FLorida, i will make it a little vacation before the season starts with the gf, stay like two nights in cleaerwater beach and then drive home mon morning. Shes not excited to drive in the rough f550. And if i get it, im a little nervous also to drive it 1500 miles back.

I think i will offer them 9500 dollars cash. Most salesmen see the cash and cant refuse. My dad is most likely going to go with me so he will have a say, but if i do end up going , i will most likely leave friday afternoon.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't worry about the mileage. My dad's 01 350 7.3 has 255k and still runs great without pretty much anything major that we know of being replaced.

It sounds like a good deal if you can get it for your cash price but i would definitely consider a 4x4 conversion! I can't believe the gvw is 21k.. most 550's i thought were 19k.

Have a backup plan though. If you get there and they won't take your offer maybe have some flight tickets ready to be purchased!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColvinsPS View Post
Don't worry about the mileage. My dad's 01 350 7.3 has 255k and still runs great without pretty much anything major that we know of being replaced.

It sounds like a good deal if you can get it for your cash price but i would definitely consider a 4x4 conversion! I can't believe the gvw is 21k.. most 550's i thought were 19k.

Have a backup plan though. If you get there and they won't take your offer maybe have some flight tickets ready to be purchased!
MY DAD HAS MILESSS ON AIRTRAN!!!!! THANK GODDDDD

The gvr is 19k, not 21k. Also what i think i am going to do, is if they dont take my cash offer, i will put 5k down and finance the rest to get some credit on my name. They cant say no to a loan when your paying for half of the truck upfront. Also, its hard to get a loan on such an old truck. Banks don't have a profession in trucks. I would most likely have to get a personal loan.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-16-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you right. I had quite a challenge getting a loan for an 07 Isuzu NPR I recenty purchased... and thats with having a credit score of 796. Most banks dont seem to like loaning on commercial trucks. I was told by the dealer they have a hard time apraising there value especially when they have aftermarket beds like a dump on them.

The sales manager told me she would have been able to get me loans to buy 5 new cars because of my credit...... took the finance department several hours to find a bank to finance the NPR.

If you have a decent business history, another option is a business line of credit.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528 View Post
you right. I had quite a challenge getting a loan for an 07 Isuzu NPR I recenty purchased... and thats with having a credit score of 796. Most banks dont seem to like loaning on commercial trucks. I was told by the dealer they have a hard time apraising there value especially when they have aftermarket beds like a dump on them.

The sales manager told me she would have been able to get me loans to buy 5 new cars because of my credit...... took the finance department several hours to find a bank to finance the NPR.

If you have a decent business history, another option is a business line of credit.

If worst comes to worse, i will either have my dad write a check or my gfs dad help me out and then i will pay them back this season.My uncle offered too but i would rather keep it closer

Its too good of an investment to let it go and i hope i don't let it go to long, like if i cant get there this weekend and maybe have to wait until next thursday after classes are out.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have more pictures< need advice soon

so i finally received more pictures from the dealer. Also, with an invoice from the mechanic of work that was recently done. The engine was in good condition full compression, there was a large weld fixed on the dump body, and the oil was changed in the engine, and the hydro oil was changed along will all filters and fluids.

When i get the pictures, it showed a lot more up close shots and i am concerned about a couple of things

#1)The dents on the side passenger door, this was not disclosed at all on the description. should i worry about it, should i try to talk price down from this issue

#2) The dump body bed inside: On the front of the bed, inside it looks like there is another piece of metal around 3'x8' welded on to the front from maybe rust damage or rust completely through. Have any of you seen this before?

#3) The Paint on the underside of the dump body and the frame. In regards to this, all the black paint looks like it was painted over rust. It is very bumpy and isnt smooth at all. I guess my concern is, am i going to have to sandblast, and repaint everything when i get it, or is this just what the consistency of the paint is when they sprayed it at first.

I cant get the dealer to disclose that if they repainted it or not, and other than going to look at it will i know, but what do you guys think.

I can get a plane ticket for 89 dollars one way. My dad is going down to florida tomorrow for vacation and he is going to check it out for me, but he is very mechanically declined. I am going to give him a checklist of what to look for and to ask questions. Then if everything checks out okay he will write a down payment , i am going to bring the rest of the cash when he okays it for me. We are still trying to figure out if i get the dump, where i am going to part it, I may be making our garage door taller by 2 1/2 feet to get tractors and the dump in it because the ROPS doesn't fit in the garage either.

Hopefully you guys can help me out on the concerns i have.
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-19-2011, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That dump body had to have been repainted. There is just no way that it is in that good of condition for being a used dump truck. The wheels definately look repainted. I still want to say the truck looks repainted too, but its hard to tell just by the pictures. I find it very odd that the dealer will not tell you if the truck had been repainted or not...pretty shady if you ask me.

The truck definately looks like it was undercoated recently. I doubt it was coated over rust, looks just like it is the consistency of the paint/coating. Actually looks very similar to a coating I used on my old truck.

It is very likely that there could be an issue inside the bed where that "plate" is welded on. All the dump beds I have seen are all a one piece floor...no extra supports on the floor like in the picture. I would be very skeptical of whether or not there is rust or damage to that area of the floor. It is a common practice, though, to do a patch job like that. If you can look at the underside of the floor, that will tell you if there is rust damage or if something isn't right with the floor.

Remember one thing...you can paint a turd gold but in the end it will still be a turd.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i think you share my same concerns. Its a lot of money to be gambling on, but honestly if it gets me through two seasons i would be completely happy with it.

I know you never want to get into something that is going to take alot to make it how you want it, but i can do all the metal work on it, or have a couple of my friends help me out if anything goes wrong. Is there anything EXTREAMLY off on this truck that you can see.

Also, about the dealer not disclosing that info, is because they got it in a short sale, the owner owed 6000 on it and they bought if for 5000 with him contributing another 1000 to the bank. They bought it less than a week ago and are trying to get double what they paid for it.

I think the reason is he doesnt know about the paint job, and says he has checked it himself to see and it doesnt show any signs of a new paint job on the cab body.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-19-2011, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep looking, you can find something better without going that far.