Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2011, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
Keep looking, you can find something better without going that far.
I dont mind the drive or the distance. I like the truck overall, i just dont want to buy it for 10k then have to put 5k in to make it rust free and no dents(company image is everything to me and if i buy something i am going to make it look presentable with my logo and signage on it with no dents, rust, or corrosion and everything intacked.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-19-2011, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
I dont mind the drive or the distance. I like the truck overall, i just dont want to buy it for 10k then have to put 5k in to make it rust free and no dents(company image is everything to me and if i buy something i am going to make it look presentable with my logo and signage on it with no dents, rust, or corrosion and everything intacked.
Do what you want but not impressed with that truck or the price. I would never buy a small dump that didn't have fold down sides.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

lots to comment on.
The 7.3 is a great engine, I will give you my numbers and you can convert. I have an early 99 F350 with 300000 kilometers. On the highway I can squeeze 1000 kilometers to a 130 liter tank. I have an air intake, 4" exhaust, 120hp tuner and built tranny with 295/75/16's. That is great mileage for a diesel that doesn't require ball joints with every other oil change and a tranny every 100000K (dodge). The tranny is the weak link and you should have researched the cost to have a performance diesel shop to install a built tranny just in case. I think the box might have more rust than you think, make sure it is inspected very closely. It looks repainted (white overspray on rear passenger marker light). That would also make me really check for hidden rust or repaint on the truck. The texture you are looking at is nothing, just a factory finish. To me the biggest thing with the truck is that it will last you a long time with the projected mileage you have. It will make you money longer than it will cost you.
To plow in 2 wheel drive for our snow is ok, but we only have wet heavy snow. You will require ballast imo.
A 6 liter by no means is a reliable engine ON AVERAGE. I own two late 05's with regular dealer maintenance and they have combined had both headgaskets done, 4 egr and oil coolers and three turbos. A total of 280000 kilometers on them combined. They are the most unreliable diesel (without aftermarket parts) built since the 6.5 dog. Not saying there isnt good ones out there but they arent as common.
Check all greasable pivot points on the dump, make sure they are tight and look well greased. Also check front tire wear for uneveness. I always really look closely at the overload springs, excessive wear where they make contact means it has been worked.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do think you will find that there is more to the truck than meets the eye. My guess, is that there is a rust problem (not sure how big/small of a problem). If you are willing to put some work into it, then it maybe okay for you. I have dealt with rust on utility bodies (a nightmare) and it takes alot to keep them looking good and doesn't take too long for more rust to show up...its similar to dump bodies usually (at least from the year you are looking at). And bringing the truck up to Michigan will only accelerate the rusting process. But like I said, if you are willing to put some work into it, you may be okay. Just make sure to check over the truck really carefully to make sure there are no surprises if you do end up buying it.

Here's a picture of a 2000 F550 dump, this is more of what I would have expected the truck to look like... http://www.obenaufauctions.com/April...Auto117kmi.jpg
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-19-2011, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Look at the overspray on the passenger side rear marker light. The bed has been repainted.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Love the 7.3. Rust might be an issue, and I would never buy something I did not look over in person and drive.... But from the pic it is a nice looking work truck
Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would pass on this one it looks to be re spray. also how do you know what the dealer bought it for. i bought one that an 02 f450 that had 50k on it and plow 4x4 and a built transmission for 19k so keep looking.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, keeping you updated on the truck. The dealer finally told me they did repaint the bed, idk what was holding them back. But my dad and his brother are in florida right now for their b-day trip(twins). If the truck hasnt sold, they are going to look at it friday afternoon. My uncle is an owner/accountant at a metal stamping shop for trucks and stamped parts. He has worked with metal and dump trucks and diesel engines his whole life and is going to check it out for me with my dad and test drive it. He has a 2001 f-450 dump that he uses to plow is lot's in the winter.

So if the truck seems to be good to my uncle, i will have one of them drive it home for me so i dont have to waste money since they are already down there.

Also, with all the opinions on here about keep looking, i really like this style (regular cab 8ft bed) because its not super long to back into tight backyards for materials and mulch jobs, and it can pull a trailer without going from driveway to driveway blocking both on small residential accounts.

I dont want a crew cab (maybe the half door in the back) but nothing bigger than 10ft bed either. Smaller the better for me right now in length. I just have been increasing sales in pavers,drainage and irrigation jobs substantially and my 1500 will be dead in a year if i keep working it.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To my suprize, my uncle and dad checked it out last night when their flight landed. The dealer was closed but it was fully lit and my dad said my uncle inspected every bit of the metal, welds, and paint job.

Here was his prognosis:
-Frame: in perfect condition from front to rear axle. Slight surface rust but nothing flaking off or rusting through, just a wire brush and some overcoating and sealnt would do the trick
-Cab: 4 golfball sized dents in drivers door, one dent in rear of cab above the back window, a small scratch on the hood, a deep scratch on the front of the lower grille. When peeling back gussets and trim, there was old bolts and paint(no repaint on the cab)

-Interior: Looked perfect to what he could see, no tears, no dirt and grime, floor was vinyl so it will be easy to clean when dirty. There is uplifter switches installed for strobe lights on a consol with 6 other swithes

Dump Bed: Was definitly over sprayed on the passenger size and top where the strobe light is but there is no paint bubbles, rusting flakes or anything it is perfectly smooth. The interior metal piece(that looks like it was loose) is a factory reinforcement from the body manufacturer, it is an extra piece of sheet metal to prevent rust and sitting water. It is galvanized steel 12gau. The interior of the dump looks in rough paint shape but it is a 2000 truck and it can always be grinded down and metal brushed and resealed and painted. Welds on bed are tight, the only concern he saw was some flaking rust on the top of the front part of the bed, under where the strobe light mounts. he thinks this could be from sitting water in that shelf and rusting down from there. He also said if he grinded it down and placed a small weld on the seam it would solve the problem to diminish the rusting any furthur.

The only other problems he found was that the driverside mud flap and diamond place reverse lights, were a little bent in but he could bend it back at his work in 30 seconds.
Also, there there is no hitch, no pintle, 2" reciever, or any backplate. it is stright to the frame.

The dump system on it was well greased, and the paint that i was concerned with has fluid film or a type of spray all over it, he said it was very very greasy and that is normal for a dump truck lift. The hydro pumps all looked good and he smelled the hydro oil and it didn't sound burned. He also said that if any of the hydrolics ever blew, he could replace everything for the cost of the parts and get 25% off parts with his businesses discounts.

If i the truck is still for sale next friday they are going to offer 9500 dollars cash. What we would do with it(with help from my uncle and dad)

-Take it to a Diesel Mechanic and check everything out in the engine and trans before the warrenty and return date is up(60 day 8,000 mile warrenty from the dealer)
-Grind all rust spots down and wire brush entire underside, bottom of bed,frame, and rust spots.
-Sandblast entire truck besides the cab
-Seal the entire frame with corrosive resistant paint.
-Paint with frame paint or a thicker auto paint the whole underside.
-Re-weld some spots on dump body and change strobe light to a bigger strobe.
-Add Diamond Plate Tool boxes to drivers side, and 30gallon Gas Aux Tank and a 15 Gallon Aux mix fuel tank to passenger side.
-Change the gas tank on this to be a bigger 45 gallon tank(34 gallon right now) and tune the engine up.
-Repaint the entire bed with thick white paint and enamel (exterior)
-Repaint interior of bed with rhino liner or epoxy paint.
-Change exhaust(maybe)
-Order Intake(maybe)
-Get the truck vinyed completely and lettered fully up.
-Get a hitch bracket fabed up with a pintle and 2" reciever, and also get another swing mount for my leaf loader build for fall and spring clean ups easily removable.

My budget is: $13,000k
What do you guys think, did i miss anything

Spend around another 3-4k to get everything looking perfect

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-20-2011, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good plan, from what your Uncle an Father say the truck sounds nice. I have 2 7.3l and love them. Not going to win many races but they are good solid workhorses. Have them check the glow plug relay, fuel filter o-rings and turbo pedestal o-rings......some of the most common problems on these engines. Good luck with your decision.