Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2011, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It does sound like the truck is in pretty good condition with minimal problems, other than some, what seems to be minor/moderate, rust. Remember that with Michigan winters, rusting will be accelerated, so make sure things are protected/sealed well.

I know you were saying that you only need this truck to last you a couple years, but it would be much smarter if you can use this truck for several years (5+ years). No sense spending $13k on a truck only to want to keep it for 2 years.

If you do get the truck, remember to only put the necessities on it to start. You want to put lots on it, but you may really find out how easy it is to blow your budget and fast. So get the stuff you really need done, done first and then work on the other stuff.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-20-2011, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

my father has a 2000 f550 with 272,500 miles still hauls 6k fine yes it has a 7.3
Old 03-20-2011, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
There is uplifter switches installed for strobe lights on a consol with 6 other swithes
RED FLAG. What are all the switches for? They tell a whole story as to the trucks useage. I would also really check uner the dash and hood and see how much of the original wiring has been hacked. I wouldn't worry about all the cosmetic stuff until it has made you some money. If your budget is 13k I wouldn't spend to the limit until you have driven the truck for at least 6 months in case of any mechinacal breakdowns. A pretty work truck broken down is just a broken down work truck.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree Ltd View Post
A pretty work truck broken down is just a broken down work truck.
Exactly. The truck looks respectful enough as it is.

Even though we like to have our stuff looking good, it doesn't have to look good to make you money.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
It does sound like the truck is in pretty good condition with minimal problems, other than some, what seems to be minor/moderate, rust. Remember that with Michigan winters, rusting will be accelerated, so make sure things are protected/sealed well.

I know you were saying that you only need this truck to last you a couple years, but it would be much smarter if you can use this truck for several years (5+ years). No sense spending $13k on a truck only to want to keep it for 2 years.

If you do get the truck, remember to only put the necessities on it to start. You want to put lots on it, but you may really find out how easy it is to blow your budget and fast. So get the stuff you really need done, done first and then work on the other stuff.
Im not saying i dont want it to last long, but if i get two good years out of it, it will be paid fully off with one year of profit and i'll be happy.

Thanks for letting me know about the necessities. I am definitly going to have the engine and trans, and everything mechanical looked at with my uncle and at his buddies shop.

I am working on a budget:
Truck: $9500
Maintenance,preventative maintenance, and inspections from top to bottom: $1500
Tanks, tool boxes, strobes, and hitch metal for fabrication of back plate: $1000
PAINT AND CORROSIVE SEALANT: $1000

The paint, sandblasting, and sealing is all going to be done at my uncles business. He has all the machines for media blasting, chemicals that they spray for car parts with after the stamping process for corrosion resistance. Then we will paint in his booth also.

all the welding will be done also by him, to make sure its all right, and one of his employees is really good at getting dents out of trucks so he's going to work on that.

I most likely will wire brush and paint the dump interior with heculiner or rhino lining or a thick paint but smooth for easy slidding.

I know there will be things down the road for maintenance and upkeep, but im not saying i only have 13k in my savings. I have pleanty of emergency truck and equipment money from the start. Thats why i have a yearly budget in January of Each each for things like that.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-20-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Exactly. The truck looks respectful enough as it is.

Even though we like to have our stuff looking good, it doesn't have to look good to make you money.
iknow i know i know....I just dont like customers seeing me pull up to their million dollar home in a beat up dump truck. I like to look classy and sport clean equipment. I guess i dont like to show my customers crappy equipment because im not a crappy service, if i am doing great work, then my equipment should look great also.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-20-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree Ltd View Post
RED FLAG. What are all the switches for? They tell a whole story as to the trucks useage. I would also really check uner the dash and hood and see how much of the original wiring has been hacked. I wouldn't worry about all the cosmetic stuff until it has made you some money. If your budget is 13k I wouldn't spend to the limit until you have driven the truck for at least 6 months in case of any mechinacal breakdowns. A pretty work truck broken down is just a broken down work truck.
Not to worry. The wiring hasnt been fussed with. It was professionally installed at a ford dealer. Has recipts and eveything. It was for the top strobe and the rear marker lights, because they have a wigwag pattern. None of the wiring inside the truck was fussed with, just a new line from the battery to the switches, grounded, and to the lights.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw1960 View Post
Good plan, from what your Uncle an Father say the truck sounds nice. I have 2 7.3l and love them. Not going to win many races but they are good solid workhorses. Have them check the glow plug relay, fuel filter o-rings and turbo pedestal o-rings......some of the most common problems on these engines. Good luck with your decision.
i will put them down on my list for the mechanic when it comes home..... hopefully it doesn't sell

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sent you a PM
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post