Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 PM
cms289's Avatar
cms289 cms289 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 81
So, did you get it?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
DLONGLANDSCAPING DLONGLANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Birmingham,MI
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms289 View Post
So, did you get it?
Sorry for the delay, i thought i was gonna go down this weekend. But i want to hold off until my dad test drives it this friday.

When i called the dealer yesterday, my third call with a different person on the phone, they said a guy from michigan is going to come down and look at it(which was me). Which made me laugh. I talked to the dealer owner finally and he said that if i doesn't sell before friday that he is willing to give it to me for $9,750. I got so many more pictures sent today, and actually just landed a 35k job, tear out, new lawn(15k sq/ft), small patio, and irrigation.

I am going to NEED the truck in april. My dad is going to be driving it friday and i will let you know if he is going to drive it home, or leave it there to get compression checks, trans checks, and tune up at a diesel mechanic down there before i make any transaction.

If everything checks out alright, i will be having the shop fab up a hitch mount down there, then i will fly down and get it saturday morning and stay for a couple days.


I will keep this forum updated.
__________________

Insured and Licensed
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-23-2011, 01:51 PM
DLONGLANDSCAPING DLONGLANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Birmingham,MI
Posts: 1,387
Quick question for you guys.

What do you think of the 2005 6.0 diesels? Are those the crap ones?

There is an 05' f550 stake dump, with 147k on it with the 6.0 diesel. Looks like mint condition in person.
__________________

Insured and Licensed
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-23-2011, 02:15 PM
mowerbrad's Avatar
mowerbrad mowerbrad is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan
Posts: 6,273
The 6.0's got a very bad rap from the start, especially the first two years that engine was out. For those engines, the 06's were "better". Really, in order to make those engines as reliable as the 7.3's, you would have to do some mods on them, which don't come cheap. One of the ambulances at the company I ride with just had it's 6.0L diesel replaced, its an 06 too. The ambulances with the 7.3's haven't had new engines installed yet as far as I know and they are from '97, '00 and '02.

I would go more for the 7.3 and see if you can get that first.
__________________
'07 Chevy 2500HD
2010 John Deere Z925A 54" MOD
2011 John Deere Quik Trak 647A
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-23-2011, 04:40 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post

There is an 05' f550 stake dump, with 147k on it with the 6.0 diesel. Looks like mint condition in person.
Unless you plan on getting a CDL, I would stick with an F-450. Even with the F-450, you'll only be able to pull a 10K equipment trailer and stay under CDL range.

That and the F-550 will cost that much more to license every year.
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-23-2011, 06:02 PM
DLONGLANDSCAPING DLONGLANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Birmingham,MI
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Unless you plan on getting a CDL, I would stick with an F-450. Even with the F-450, you'll only be able to pull a 10K equipment trailer and stay under CDL range.

That and the F-550 will cost that much more to license every year.
I am planning on getting an f-550. Licensing and plates are 315per year , and an f-450 is only 58 dollars less. Also the insurance is right around the same, i've checked.

The f550 gvw is 19k and my trailer is 7k. It is one pound underneath CDL which is 26,001 lbs.



and i will definitly not get the 2005 6.0
__________________

Insured and Licensed
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
I am planning on getting an f-550. Licensing and plates are 315per year , and an f-450 is only 58 dollars less. Also the insurance is right around the same, i've checked.

The f550 gvw is 19k and my trailer is 7k. It is one pound underneath CDL which is 26,001 lbs.



and i will definitly not get the 2005 6.0
What if you are going to pull bigger equipment? Just throwing that thought out there for you.

For example, if you are pulling moderately sized skid steer, you'll be over-weight on a 7k trailer if it weighs 2k to begin with.
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Shadetree Ltd's Avatar
Shadetree Ltd Shadetree Ltd is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Posts: 390
Get the 550. The actual capacity of the 450 is significantly lower when they have a heavy contractors body. You may have the proper license but you will be overweight which is even worse. Get the 550 and plan on getting the proper license required to pull a bigger trailer.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 PM
DLONGLANDSCAPING DLONGLANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Birmingham,MI
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
What if you are going to pull bigger equipment? Just throwing that thought out there for you.

For example, if you are pulling moderately sized skid steer, you'll be over-weight on a 7k trailer if it weighs 2k to begin with.
good point. I guess i most likely wil be getting either a 331 excavator and/or a t190 or t200, for demo jobs and paver jobs in the next two years. So i will need a CDL. The only thing that sucks is the fees and medical card to carry around.

I want to keep my loads under 26k for as long as i can. When i have to trailer machinery i could just used my trialer and dodge ram, it handles the weight perfectly. ;/
__________________

Insured and Licensed
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-24-2011, 03:23 AM
stuvecorp's Avatar
stuvecorp stuvecorp is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: lake wissota, wi
Posts: 5,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree Ltd View Post
Get the 550. The actual capacity of the 450 is significantly lower when they have a heavy contractors body. You may have the proper license but you will be overweight which is even worse. Get the 550 and plan on getting the proper license required to pull a bigger trailer.
Well said!
__________________
Do or do not. There is no try. yoda
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.10208 seconds with 8 queries