Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
Quick question for you guys.

What do you think of the 2005 6.0 diesels? Are those the crap ones?

There is an 05' f550 stake dump, with 147k on it with the 6.0 diesel. Looks like mint condition in person.
The later years of 6.0 seem to be better. I would prefer the 7.3 but my 07 6.0 does the job and love the tow/haul transmission setting.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had an 03 F450 with a 14ft box on it, that thing didn't turn worth a crap, but I guess anything above 1 ton is like that. Only other issue was transmissions, the 2nd one was going out at 170k miles. It was a V10 gasser though, not sure if they use the same trans. The 7.3's last forever, and that looks like a nice truck. Check out the shape of the oil pan while you are at it, I've seen them rust out. You have to remove the engine to replace the pan and it aint cheap. I guess the salt eats them up.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stuff Up View Post
I had an 03 F450 with a 14ft box on it, that thing didn't turn worth a crap, but I guess anything above 1 ton is like that. Only other issue was transmissions, the 2nd one was going out at 170k miles. It was a V10 gasser though, not sure if they use the same trans. The 7.3's last forever, and that looks like a nice truck. Check out the shape of the oil pan while you are at it, I've seen them rust out. You have to remove the engine to replace the pan and it aint cheap. I guess the salt eats them up.
my 1500 dodge doesnt turn very well either. I have to go back and fourth and i am not an idoit like most people when it comes to parrallel parking and reversing trailers.

Im not really worried about turning radius.

Dad is looking at it tomorrow night again, i'll be making a desion in the next 48 hours

im excited as hell to get this, becuase i have lined up like 10-12 lawn renovation tear ours and re-sod and i can take all the material away with the dump and bring in free top soil from the city to my jobs. I have also sold around 65 yards of mulch so far. Things are off to a great start this year, i just need a dump.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say jump on that deal, no rust to deal with on that 10 year old truck, just check the transmission to make sure the fluid looks clean and smells clean. I have 2 7.3L's and if anything does happen to go wrong on them it seems like they are easy to work on and lots of people know the in's and outs of that motor.
About the oil pan, Im sure the one on that truck might be in good shape since it hasnt seen any salt but check on it. I had to replace mine last year on my 250, dealer wanted $2500 to replace the pan. I found a guy who did it for $1,300 and didnt have to remove the motor, just jacked up the engine enough so the pan can clear the cross frame. But that truck is a 02.
The balljoints will need attention as well and make sure you get greeseable ones. But thats general front end work that is expected if you were to put a plow on the front of any truck.
2003 8.5x16' Great Lakes Cargo Enclosed Trailer
2005 6x20' BNM tandem 12,000lbs trailer
2011 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2005 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2004 Scag 72" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2001 Scag 52" Turf Tiger 23 LCKawi
2002 Scag 52" SWZ 17 Kawi
2003 JD 250 Series II 64hp
Echo handhelds
Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No way highest tsb's of any vehicle ever made for a long time. It is hard to profit with these trucks save up and buy a cummins or a Duramax. Mileage and reliability and power are so much worth it. Ford overated their trucks very bad. I would compare my old 2000 f-550 to a little lighter duty than my 2001 Duramax 2500. Injectors, wiring harness, fuel filters, cam sensors, fuel rails, front end alignment, plastic bearings, turbos, glow plugs, transfer cases loosening up and falling out on highway, transmissions, power window motors, cam sensors, the motors are good it is Fords shortcuts that screwed these trucks up! I only had mine 3000 miles and had to sell it. It was our companies boat anchor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow

Looks Very Professional. I want one.

We Only Cut Grass . com

Lurch
Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'n Trees View Post
No way highest tsb's of any vehicle ever made for a long time. It is hard to profit with these trucks save up and buy a cummins or a Duramax. Mileage and reliability and power are so much worth it. Ford overated their trucks very bad. I would compare my old 2000 f-550 to a little lighter duty than my 2001 Duramax 2500. Injectors, wiring harness, fuel filters, cam sensors, fuel rails, front end alignment, plastic bearings, turbos, glow plugs, transfer cases loosening up and falling out on highway, transmissions, power window motors, cam sensors, the motors are good it is Fords shortcuts that screwed these trucks up! I only had mine 3000 miles and had to sell it. It was our companies boat anchor.
Posted via Mobile Device
you are the first person to ever day anything that negative about a ford. Every truck year has their issues but transfer cases loosening up and fallout out? I mean, come on. That is what maintenance if for, i can see all this happening if it was never maintained. This truck was fleet maintained with the city of jacksonville. It has 16 pages of records all done at ford dealerships. Oil every 6k miles, fuel filters every 10-15k.

Update: It is a a FORD dealer right now getting a full compression test, diagnosis, all mechanical and electrical inspection and checks, diesel tune up. Suspension checked and replaced what is needed, all oils changed, new brakes and brake lines. I put a deposit on it since everything checked out good with the inspection from a ford mechanic, waiting on the compression and injector tests. If anything is wrong, dealer is fixing it.

I just have to figure out when i am going to go get it. Packed schedual and flights are expensive with spring break being so close, i might getting mid weed next week with the girl. and stay til sunday or so, a little vacation before cleanup start. Or might fly down friday and drive home on the weekend and take my time. Flights are around 215 on weekend, or 9 dollar southwest flight on tuesday of next week. Dad used his miles for washington dc with my family for spring break and is leaving me home. yay

I will let you guys know what happens and post pics as soon as i get it.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-30-2011, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Delong any updates?
cub cadet lawn mower 21 inch
Abunch of shovels, racks excetra.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseylandscaping View Post
Delong any updates?
.....i updated it two days ago...Its at the mechanic right now, like i said, should be done by wednesday at the latest. If it checks out im going to fly down for the weekend and drive it back.

Insurance is the next step, i have to be signed and insured before i'm driving it anywhere.

i will update when i hear back from the ford mechanic on wednesday

Insured and Licensed
Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I FINALLY HAVE AN UPDATE FOR YOU GUYS AND THERE IS NOT GOOD NEWS HERE!

After being at the ford dealer getting inspected and tested and fully diagnosed there is a laundry list of what is wrong. Almost $4500 dollars in repair's need before i could even drive it off the lot. The dealer dropped it off at the ford dealer with zero gas in it first off so they couldn't even take it for a drive.

Here is what is wrong with it:
-Rear view mirror is missing
-Emergency brake and regular brake rubber on them are missing
-Engine did have full compression and all injectors were working fine
-Idled fine
-Slight oil leak in the engine
-Slight oil leak from oil pan
-Front and Rear Rotors are completely gone almost, needed to be replaced 5k miles ago
-Tail Shaft is leaking from the seal(needs new seal)
-Water pump needs to be replaced(leaking way to much)
-Left front ball joints need to be replaced
-THERE IS NO SWAY BARS ON THIS, they are completely removed
-Both inner dual tires are flat with puncture holes, wont hold air at all
-Air filter and Fuel filter need replacing
-Tail Lights, middle three aren't working, and two on each side aren't working(only 2 out of 9 lights are working
-Clearance lights the two outside lights aren't working
-Marker lights on bed are all out
-there is 6 small dents on the drivers door
-one large dent on hood
-Whole truck has been repainted and has runs in the paint
-Hydraulic hose for the dump is leaking and need a new hose

The ford dealer gave me an invoice to fix everything so i could show it to the dealer was going to buy the truck from. I just called the dealer, which earlier they had their local mechanic look over the truck, change the brakes and rotors, change a hydraulic hose, and we agreed that if i was paying for the inspection they would fix everything that was wrong with it, because THEY WERE SURE that nothing would be to serious.

I emailed the invoice to the dealer and they pretty much told me to go f myself. He said i should go by a new truck if i want everything working properly. I told him that he is a 'certified used car dealer' and he tells a buyer who has cash and plane tickets to come down there to f off. When previously he said he would work with me and fix everything that was wrong. The inspection was going to cost me 190 and i had no problem paying that for the piece of mind that everything is mechanically sound, i don't even car about the marker, tail, and cab lights, or the brake pads or rearview mirror. I told him i would buy the truck if they fixed everything that was leaking and replaced the fluids and brakes and tires on it.

He said he is going to sell it as is and i refused to pay the inspection it if they aren't going to fix it like they said they would. They have none of my information, only a phone number. Is this bad of me to do? Since they didn't come thru why should I?

Let me know your guys thoughts.

Insured and Licensed