Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2011, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sell/Trade my skidsteer for a 4wd tractor??

i have a 2004 Mustang 2044 skidsteer. (470hrs)

thinking about selling to buy a tractor or trading it for a 4wd tractor. would really like a 4wd tractor w/ loader.

i figure the tractor would be more productive w/ the type of work im doing

mowing, bushhoging, landscaping etc...

open for discussion

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 03-17-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

opinions????

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 03-19-2011, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't have a skid steer but do have a small compact utility tractor, a Kubota 2920.

Your going to have to size the tractor for the type of work that it does. Your skidsteer is 49hp. If you went with that sized HP for a tractor your into a fairly big machine. I the Kubota line that would be a M model, which is HUGH compared to that skidsteer.

I'd take the kind of work that you expect it to perform into some of your local tractor dealers and see what they would recommend.

Just to give you a idea of what I have and it's costs, I have a 2920 (29HP) with a loader that will lift about 1100 lbs, a 22HP PTO with access both under the tractor (mid mount mower option) and behind PTO access. I bought with it a 50inch bush hog, a 48 inch tiller and a blade and the whole thing was with 0% financing from Kubota for less then 22K.

Tractors generally are going to be bigger, certainly longer, and will not be as quick in the loader operations. If you do a lot of loader work, I'd recommend a hydrostatic model over a gear, as there is no gear work in loading with a hydro model.

If you have several 3 point hitch attachments and you move between them often, I'd recommend a quick hitch system. They're not terribly expensive and can make trading out implements easy.

Larry
Old 03-19-2011, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thanks man! i really appreciate it

Landscape Contractors

Old 03-20-2011, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you will miss the capability to move pallets around with the skid. I sold my nh 33hp tractor when I bought my ls180 skid and regret it you really need both. I do alot of work in rural areas where a bushhoggin or plow job pops up plus it would have been nice to to have a loader on the yard while my skid was on the job. But it you trade I would get one of the big names just for parts availability. I'm partial to New Holland but the orange ones look good too. Get no less than 45hp.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I have done a lot of thinking on this subject and the answer is it depends on what you are doing. A tractor is more versatile and attachments are more widely available and cheaper but you sacrifice some lifting capacity and you can't dig as well with the bucket. With forks you can't lift as heavy skids. Overall the loader won't be as heavily built. Your skid has 1500 lb lift cap. so a larger tractor can lift that and do more with three point attachments. If you work in small spaces especially with landscaping you will miss the skid. If you have room to maneuver where you work go for the tractor. it will definitely be better for mowing. get a john deere kubota or new holland. get at least 30-45 or more hp and make sure to get the options you want like hyd ports, quick hitch, strobes, etc. now and bundle it in a package from the dealer with 0%. there's a lot of deals on new equipment. On the other hand, if you work in tight spaces,keep your skid and start looking for a good solid 15 to 20 year old 4wd compact tractor like a john deere 870, kubota L2250, or similar. you can find a decent one for less than $5000-$7000 if you keep the skid and don't get a loader. taken care of, this will do lots of work with a box blade, bush hog, tiller, etc. Now that I have said this, I own a JD 3203 32 hp with a loader. it has done a lot of work but lacks lift capacity and the hydraulics are poor. if I did it over I would have got a better bigger tractor just because I have always run tractors versus skid because of the work I do. If i was in your shoes, i would probably keep the skid if there is nothing wrong with it and get a good used tractor maybe even with a loader then I could have two machines. If money is an issue, be patient and watch cl and ebay there is a lot of deals out there. just my 2 cents.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thanks fellas!

Landscape Contractors

Old 03-21-2011, 05:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you can do it, keeping the mustang and adding the tractor is the way to go! You can get a 49 hp kubota in the L series, you dont have to go to the (huge) m series.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be very reluctant to get rid of a skid steer with such low hours. Tractors are pretty easy to find and a good used one can be found at a good price.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

decided to keep my skid. actually ordering a root grapple for it this week.

going to keep my eye out for used L series Kubota w/ loader

Landscape Contractors