Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Safe to put down pre emergent after seeding last fall?

I aerated and seeded my lawn last fall. Is is safe to put down my pre emergent down soon or will I kill my seed from last fall?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
I aerated and seeded my lawn last fall. Is is safe to put down my pre emergent down soon or will I kill my seed from last fall?
At this point in time, do you visibly see your new grass seed germinating with brand new green 'spikes'?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Just started to see some pop up over the last week
Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if you still have seed germ. from last year you should wait until you get 4-6 cuttings on the new grass.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

If I did wait, wont I be missing my window for the pre emerge treatment?
Thanks
Old 03-22-2011, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can reseed again this spring and in the fall too. Grass seed doesn't always germinate in 100 percent of the places you put it. Use a slow release starter fertilizer,
and don't cheap out on the seeds. Use the highest grade. Check the label to see that the seed is right for the location too.

You can aerate again, especially if you have compaction weeds. Wait about ten days between using nitrogen and applying lime if you need that. We don't use gypsum here
so, I'm not certain if that depletes the nitrogen in the fertilizer. I actually prefer to apply lime and then the fertilizer ten days later.

I recommend that you allow your lawn to get thick and healthy instead of using chemicals?
Let it grow at least two to two and a half inches and maintain it at that height or higher with a sharp mower blade to choke out weeds. This will save on water bills if they apply.

If you have dandelions or plantain or other things popping up, either pull them out or look up "Fiesta" or "EcoSence" on this site and go organic. They safely use iron to kill lawn weeds and they make the grass a nice healthy green.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

ok, so if I hold off for a bit on this treatment, I got Lesco 19-0-6 dimension .10% plus fertilizer.what is the next treatment I should do?I am forgoing scotts this year and using Lesco products. Trying to learn the whole fertilzing process . Forgive an unedumacated lawn treatment guy
Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are seeing new grass spikes popping up now then it is likely you soil is warmed sufficiently for typical turf growth, and you can reseed at this time as well. Crab Grass starts much later when the soil temeratures soar later in the season... Bare ground and sunny spots start first, with the CG.

I wouldn't worry about CG until your new grass has its 3rd leaf... Even then, if the weather is not too hot and your soil under the turf is protected from the heat of the sun with little bare ground, you should be safe...

I never use pre-m on turf... I fill in the thin spots in the spring, letting the grass grow taller in the heat of summer and of course mulch mow...
Old 03-23-2011, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
This is my opinion. The seed you planted last year, should have germinated last year. So you should be safe with the pre-em. I'm in Jersey also. I recommend you pre-em. when the Forsythias in your area are blooming. This is an indication that the soil temp. is getting right for the weedy grasses to sprout. Hope that helps.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by betmr View Post
This is my opinion. The seed you planted last year, should have germinated last year. So you should be safe with the pre-em. I'm in Jersey also. I recommend you pre-em. when the Forsythias in your area are blooming. This is an indication that the soil temp. is getting right for the weedy grasses to sprout. Hope that helps.
The forsythia rule is good for all weeds seed as well as bluegrass and other cool season grasses...

However, one should think of CrabGrass to be more in tune with 'peonies' rather than forsythia... CG may very well not be ready by then...