Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-20-2011, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I would stay away from residential mowers. A good entry level commercial mower would be Bad Boy. I think prices start at 2999.99. Also check out Big Dog which was made to compete with Bad Boy and other entry level commercial mowers. I can not comment on the quality because I have not run either but the prices are hard to beat!
Posted via Mobile Device
The 2999.99 badboy hustler and big dog(all about the same mowers) are residential even with Briggs ELS engines and EZT transmissions. entry level commercial would include the CZT Badboy, Bob-cat Fast cat, and Hustler Fasttrak. I am not sure what the Big Dog calls their version of the FastTrak.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought the 2999.99 sounded to good to be true. They got me on the briggs els and the trans. I think the other models may be out of his price range.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2011, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I thought the 2999.99 sounded to good to be true. They got me on the briggs els and the trans. I think the other models may be out of his price range.
Posted via Mobile Device
well at least BadBoy and Hustler have other offerings as to engine choice they just add about $300 to the price
Old 03-20-2011, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
well at least BadBoy and Hustler have other offerings as to engine choice they just add about $300 to the price
Old 03-20-2011, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Look at buying a commercial Honda, Exmark, or Toro 21" mower to get started and then step up to a 36" hydro unit when you can pay cash for it. This will let you learn the business and your properties before spending alot of money. Unless you already have a trailer and you only plan on staying with residental get a 6*12 trailer, it may seem large at first but you will grow into it, also get it with a sigle 5,200lb axle or a pair of 3,500lb axles. This will come in handy if you do any install work or mulch delivery.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever you get make sure its a dual hydro.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
Look at buying a commercial Honda, Exmark, or Toro 21" mower to get started and then step up to a 36" hydro unit when you can pay cash for it. This will let you learn the business and your properties before spending alot of money. Unless you already have a trailer and you only plan on staying with residental get a 6*12 trailer, it may seem large at first but you will grow into it, also get it with a sigle 5,200lb axle or a pair of 3,500lb axles. This will come in handy if you do any install work or mulch delivery.
I would buy a larger mower than this for sure unless you are doing the tiniest lawns. You will never make it to the point that you can buy a bigger mower because if you got any 20,000 square foot lawns or even 10,000 square foot(roughly a quarter acre) you will make so little money per hour doing it that you will quit. You cannot be competitive with a 21. I would go with a minimum 36 but I would recommend a 48.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

It was my understanding that Worldlawn and Quick are commercial units. As far as 21" mowers, commercial mowers are a waste of money. I bought my mower from Sears, and it lasted two years, and I put a new commercial engine on it. The deck is the same as Snapper uses on several of its commercial models, only I spent a fraction of the price. I am just saying that you do not need to go buy the most expensive unit to get a good working product.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

What is better, A Honda motor or a Kawasaki Kai? I believe they are both 13 hp, and the Honda is electric start as well as pull start, and they are the same price.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Speaking of worldlawn have u tried their 28 inch mower
Posted via Mobile Device