Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2011, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchall_San_Antonio View Post
I was never talking about increasing SOM. I was talking about making a profit. If you are selling the idea of increased SOM to your clients, more power to you. I would be a little shy about selling something I could not guarantee. Selling a dark green color is the direction I would go.
That is the primary goal (or should be) of an organic program, to increase SOM, not to simply use an organic product in place of a synthetic one. I sell solutions, not green grass. My business is centered around saving my clients money and building a sustainable, low input system. In areas where irrigation is required, building this type of system is even more critical. IMO, if profit is the only motivation, then people are catering to a fad instead of a realistic solution that will have a lasting impact on this industry as a whole.

Quote:
You have a noble goal but your definition of organic differs from mine. I'm sure mine differs from many others. I will not fault you for that. There are as many different definitions of organic as there are for vegetarian. To paraphrase your statement in terms I see as important for this forum: If you are not selling a program designed to make a profit, then you will not be in business very long regardless of what products you are selling. As I have said above, I don't see sustainability as component of making a client happy with a lawn service nor as a component of profitability. I could be wrong and am open to ideas on that.
I don't think I would go so far as to call it noble .... rather more realistic. There are more ways to generate a profit than just selling a program of spoon feeding of organic products to potential clients. If a LCO finds he/she is losing money by building a sustainable system, then it is time to diversify.

..... my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

I'm the guy who set up the forum. ...[about] how to make a business work selling organic lawn care.
I'd like to thank you for doing that. And also Smallaxe, JD, Kiril, Barry, Paradise, Bill, Maine, and the many others that contribute regularly here.

I've started and moderated many forums over the years, and it's often a frustrating task.

So I really appreciate what you've got here. It has helped me with my business immensely.

thanks again,
jon
Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Just to clarify a few thoughts and answer a couple questions. Sorry but this is a long post.
Thank you David for one of the best posts I've seen on this forum.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-30-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
There are as many different definitions of organic as there are for vegetarian.
There is a very good word for those who claim being a vegetarian includes fish and chicken. It is stupid. - Albert Epstein
Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilson View Post
There is a very good word for those who claim being a vegetarian includes fish and chicken. It is stupid. - Albert Epstein
Tim, you made my day. Thanks for the laugh!

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt