Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2011, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Seeing as how the sod was only a few months old I don't think soil compaction is an issue. Your goal is to regrow grass, the more seed at the proper level as opposed to grouped at the bottom of a hole the denser your stand of turf will be. You don't want to have to do multiple reseedings to fill in the thin spots.
Posted via Mobile Device
aside from my original post.
So what your saying/opinion is that aerate and over seed is not that great as compared to slit seeding. slit seeding gives better coverage? Now you have me off on a different topic. just want to know what's going to give me better results in the future. Thanks for the help
Old 03-20-2011, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your case slit seeding is optimal. IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2011, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aside from my case. which is better for a normal lawn?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the situation. Core aeration is best suited for compaction issues. Not all lawns will require overseeding. Knowing the root cause of the problem will dictate which approach is best suited. Yours was simple suffocation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2011, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshutter View Post
I know that. Just wasn't sure why one is recommened over the other. I know what they both do, just not sure if one is more beneficial over the other. Some people aerate and over seed some slit seed.
Posted via Mobile Device
The principle reason for aeration is for soil compaction and getting water/nutrients into the rootzone. Secondly, punching holes through 'real thatch for the same reason. Then getting soil ammendments into the rhyzosphere... Seeding is just a sidenote in which those holes may grown new grass, rather than just being holes...
Can anyone think of another reason???

Not a reason for aeration is : seeding...
Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshutter View Post
Aside from my case. which is better for a normal lawn?
Building the soil structure of a 'normal' lawn is the better way to go... Soil compaction is best avoided, as is thatch formation... Aeration is an indication of poor cultural practices, usually as a result of excessive irrigation and fert...
Old 03-21-2011, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nightshutter,
I think sod is the way to go. Sure she doesn't want to pay for it, but its her fault, she knows that. Only 500 sqft, 55 rolls. Instant green--and it matches perfectly. If you use seed--more labor--more soil prep, more chance of crabgrass and weeds, more chance she will not water, more chance of disatisfaction, redo or callbacks, big chance it will include ryegrass and not match in color and growth rate. One trip--how long would it take to lay 55 rolls? No brainer.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Riggle is right. People are under the illusion that seeding is cheaper as they see only the seed cost. Not understanding the labor and involvement from both sides.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2011, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im aware it will not be uniform. She is having a hard time thinking of paying for sod again. now she will have to pay tear out and replace.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree it is better to tear out the old sod if you are going to put in new, but you can leave it there if you overseed. You can also get a bag of pure KBG, if it seems it will be more 'perfect'...
But I'm guessing that if she leaves, leaves on the lawn in the fall, 'perfection' is not her issue... And I have seen devestated areas like that come back from the roots... It is often quite sparse and we are talking sod here, so it is a tough call to make...