Register free!

Old 07-12-2015, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Making Good Money with Paver Sealing

Wanted to share something with you all. I'm sure some of the guys here are already on top of this. And I'm sure others are opposed to it for whatever reason.... But we've been doing really well with paver sealing these last few years. It's extremely profitable work, good margins, good product mark-up, pretty easy work (as opposed to building paver patios), workers love doing it, customers love the results and it's an easy sell.

Over time the pavers begin to fade due to sun and other weather factors. So that paver patio you built for the client 2-4 years ago isn't probably looking nearly as nice as it did on day one. But you can restore the pavers to almost day-one condition fairly easily, seal in that look, protect your clients pavers and make some additional money from customers who already love your company. Another great thing is there is very little competition. In my area, at least, I've found that not many hardscape companies in our area really know a lot about paver sealing or even offer that as a service to their customers. I don't think I've ever had a customer go somewhere else to get another quote for a cleaning and sealing job. It's always nice to bid work when you're the only bidder.

We've found that by just contacting all of our previous paver customers we're able to sell jobs really easily to a good percentage of them. If you have been installing pavers for many years and have a lot of previous customers and you're not going back to them and offering cleaning & sealing services, you may be missing the boat. I wish I would have known how simple it was to sell and to do several years ago. We've been doing it for a few years but haven't really been pushing it hard until this year. This year we have already done more cleaning & sealing jobs than all previous years combined.

There is a fair amount to learn about proper application, learning the difference of the various kinds of sealers (gloss, semi-gloss, matte finish, transparent finish. Film-forming vs. non-film-forming, etc.) and there are some things you have to be careful of (some hardscape cleaners will kill grass or plants if they get on them and aren't watered off, a few other issues). Then there are tricks to learn in application process, how to dry off you patio quickly after cleaning, how many coats to do, etc. But once you get it all down, it's easy money, in my opinion.

Also, it's one of those things you can do where, if it's done right, there are almost no call-backs or warranty issues to worry about.

I'd share more in terms of what we've done for marketing, before-after photos, etc. but I don't necessarily want to clue in my competition to all that in an open forum. So if you're wanting to learn more about that stuff, PM me with your email address and we can talk more that way.

Otherwise, if there are general questions about the process of cleaning and sealing, let me know. I'll try to answer as I have time to do so.

Anyway, just wanted to clue you guys in to another source of revenue that ties right in to what you're already doing.
Attached Images

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon

Last edited by JimLewis; 07-12-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

We have been doing more lately.
Our biggest problem this year is finding a window without rain in the forecast

How are you cleaning?
Pressure washer?
Do you use a surface cleaner?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No pressure washer. We just use the Techniseal Hardscape Cleaner. That works very well. Just gotta be careful because it will kill shrubs and lawn if it gets on it and isn't sprayed off/diluted.

If needed, we'll use an Effy cleaner and sometimes an oil remover/de-greaser cleaner if there are those kind of stains that need to be removed.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon