Register free!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Agreed.

Some folks deer hunt from the ground, some deer hunt from a tree stand.

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

The pedistal method is not a bad method. It's alotta block, and that block needs leveled

And neither is using gravel, a bad method.

We use gravel. And probably always will. And then again, we have never built as many steps as the one's in Rusk-A-Roni's pictures, and I doubt we ever will.

Andrew I actually had over 400 linear feet of steps on this job.

Those big radius steps are over 25' long each. We would build the entire thing in 1 day with 2 guys. Over 6 cubes of block total.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks good Rusk. One honest question though. Why not change up the paver pattern a bit? Don't get me wrong, the project looks great but it's a little bland. Maybe with softscapes things will look more dynamic but you had a great opportunity to do some cool color contrasts or large compass or something to give them a conversation piece. The nature of pavers and SRWs is bland and as contractors, we need to spice it up a bit! Well decorated homes use colors very well and I think you could have done that a little better. Especially with a budget like that.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Rusk, that is a sick design ,did u design it ur self or sub the design. Keep it posted when u install the plants I wanna see what it looks like completed.. Besides the pillar lights will u be adding lv lighting for the soft scape..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2011, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Also we build our steps the same way , it s a lot faster, and adds a bit of ins and peace of mind. But um ya sweet project..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2011, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You were just trying to show off the excavator. I would like to see true completed pictures with plants and mulch and lawn in.

I use the pedestal method for all stairs also.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

16 ton..... good for you...... i need to know how did you sell the design 50k or more and then toss in 16 ton or more of rock.. we own are own gravel pit and that still has a cost on rock.. I would like to have the ingredients on this job( how long it took, how many men.)
Looks great!! Are the bull nose on the steps jointed with mortar? Me being in maine if you dare to do that you best poor concrete under the frost line..
Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy5149 View Post
16 ton..... good for you...... i need to know how did you sell the design 50k or more and then toss in 16 ton or more of rock.. we own are own gravel pit and that still has a cost on rock.. I would like to have the ingredients on this job( how long it took, how many men.)
Looks great!! Are the bull nose on the steps jointed with mortar? Me being in maine if you dare to do that you best poor concrete under the frost line..
The bullnose is glued on and then jointed with mortar. Considering the steps are all sitting on clean stone down to the front line I am not too worried about movements.

There was significant gravel costs due to the over dig situation. However, it is routine for us to do large jobs with over 1000 tons of stone.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Last job I did with 1000 tons of granular was for a driveway at my property, it was 750 feet long x 16' wide. Just to put it in perspective.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Zedo I seem to have a knack for finding these jobs that need massive amounts of gravel fill. This is my 5th job with over 1000 tons.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
Zedo I seem to have a knack for finding these jobs that need massive amounts of gravel fill. This is my 5th job with over 1000 tons.
Bet the quarries like you! How many tons per load are you guys allowed to haul, also are you guys restricted to half loads this time of year?