Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-22-2011, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dog Chewing Trailer Wire

well i have a new puppy and hes a playful boxer love this dog to death but he loves to chew wires trailer wires at that i just spent $26 on a light kit and another $10 on staples and 1/4" air hose to use as a conduit under the trailer only to come out the next morning to see it all over the yard some how hes pulling the flat 4 plug and chewing it and just going down the trailer chewing whatever he can get i dont want to put up a fence because hes just mean looking and has that rough bark that makes a great watch dog so has anyone got any ideas on how to keep this dog from chewing on these wires or how to run them where he wont chew them? ive thought about magnetic tow lights also just stick them on and at the end of the day take them off but im open for ideas
Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The proper solution is OBEDIENCE. Your dog should know what he can chew on and what he cant. Nip that crap in the bud right now before the dog eats something that costs you several thousand dollars to have removed. When you see him chewing on something he shouldnt be, whoop his butt and give a stern NO.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

chew toy

go to the or call the vet to see what you can spray on and around the trailer that will make it taste o bad that he will not like or keep the dog and trailer separated by a fence .
Old 03-22-2011, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah i agree on the obedience... i called the vet today and she said that there are several things you can buy at petco or petsmart just take your pick but they only last for a day she also said that getting him neutered might help some (its tough bringing myself to neuter a registered dog) so looks like he might get fenced off its kinda a shame he sure likes to lay on that trailer
Old 03-22-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would prolly change vets if my vet told me to get my dog neutered because he/she was chewing. That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Vets will tell you anything they think you want to hear to put a couple hundred bucks in their bank account. Neutering has its pros and cons, every dog owner should look at both sides and then decide to neuter or not. How old is your dog? My parents have two boxers (both fixed at a very young age) and I can tell you right now that neutering is not the answer. I wouldnt waste your time with sprays or deterrents, just let your dominance come out and correct the dog in whatever way you feel is necessary and Ill bet the chewing stops. Boxers can be very stubborn but they are smart and after a correction or two your dog will stop chewing.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spray the trailer wires with bitter apple spray.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 03-22-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try cayenne pepper. I had this same exact prob but only once. Sprinkle the pepper around the trailer and near the wire harness heavy. Your dog should get a whiff and either A. stay away or B.get amouth and nose full then stay away.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2011, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoetschOutdoor View Post
I would prolly change vets if my vet told me to get my dog neutered because he/she was chewing. That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Vets will tell you anything they think you want to hear to put a couple hundred bucks in their bank account. Neutering has its pros and cons, every dog owner should look at both sides and then decide to neuter or not. How old is your dog? My parents have two boxers (both fixed at a very young age) and I can tell you right now that neutering is not the answer. I wouldnt waste your time with sprays or deterrents, just let your dominance come out and correct the dog in whatever way you feel is necessary and Ill bet the chewing stops. Boxers can be very stubborn but they are smart and after a correction or two your dog will stop chewing.
hes 1 year and 2 months old i got him when he was 7 months old and he never really had to much people interaction during his first 7 months so it took a lot of working with him to just make him calm around people yeah i called the lady i got him from and she said she doesnt think neutering him would have any effect and it actually makes them gain weight and has been known to shorten their life span so i dont think ill go that route have you heard anything about the obedience schools that petsmart puts on? i picked up a flyer about it but dunno if its actually worth it

heres a little picture of him about a month ago
Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I cant speak for all petsmart stores but the OB class they put on here is a joke...its like a 30x30 ring jammed packed with a dozen dogs right in the MIDDLE of the dang store. To me, thats more of a puppy socialization class than an OB class. Do you have any professional dog trainers or like an AKC club around you anywhere? My parents took both of their boxers to an OB class and even though it was done by a pro trainer, its mostly just laying the groundwork and teaching you how to train your dog. Is your dog trained up at all and chewing is his only problem or what? Good looking pup too, wish I had a big enough yard for 2 dogs right now and we would add another boxer to our clan.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The freakin cows chew my trailer wires, right now I have 4 trailers, and I am constantly working on the lights. Only one time on the dog..... One of these days I am going to build a fence just for the trailers I guess. I have tried duct taping everywhere, zip ties, nothing works.......pisses me off just talking about it...lol

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"