Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2011, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your dog needs more exercise, not to be tied up or fenced in. That will only make the problem worse.

Run him, walk him, whatever, but if you fence him, don't be surprised when he digs/chews his way out of that and continues to cause damage.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg City Lawns View Post
hes 1 year and 2 months old i got him when he was 7 months old and he never really had to much people interaction during his first 7 months so it took a lot of working with him to just make him calm around people yeah i called the lady i got him from and she said she doesnt think neutering him would have any effect and it actually makes them gain weight and has been known to shorten their life span so i dont think ill go that route have you heard anything about the obedience schools that petsmart puts on? i picked up a flyer about it but dunno if its actually worth it

heres a little picture of him about a month ago
www.leerburg.com he has some great stuff. Do not woop the dog like someone said I have two Sheppard's and both are trained one for K9 work and the other for protection. I carry one with me on jobs and they watch the truck and trailer. Work him he is bored you can use some sprays but like have to do that every day or you could use a E collar. Good luck get him a Kong the best toy ever for dogs.

Training them early
Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Discipling a dog is part of being a responsible dog owner. Your dog knows he can get away with chewing on stuff he is not supposed to be and if you correct him he will stop. Im not saying to beat the living crap out of your dog but you have to show him you are the pack leader, if you want to have an obedient dog that knows you are the pack leader.

Falcon, what kind of area do you work in that requires a protection dog? Seems a little overkill. I hope your not one of them owners that keeps their dog in their truck and it tries to kill anyone that walks by. Did you train your dogs or purchase them trained? Because you are not going to get a police trained dog without using force and establishing that you are the pack leader.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 3/4 acre yard so hes got room to play and i have an old mut that loves to fight and play with him and both of them do everything with me around the house so trust me hes getting plenty of exercise

falcon, funny you mentioned that his best friend is a kong with peanut butter

for a quick fix i think a couple of t-posts and chicken wire might have to do but my plan is to get this dog trained for sure
Old 03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't have him fixed, it doesn't do any good. I had an American Bulldog and all it did for him was make him fat and lazy. He still pulled all the wires off the jetski trailer and chewed up the lights. He also dug up a buried phone line in the backyard where the phone company had an easement and had that scattered all over the back yard. It is a normal behavior for these breeds to want to chew, best thing is to keep him busy and let him know who is boss. Lots of dicipline.