Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

glyphosate need help please

A month ago I mixed some glyphosate concentrate at a .5% mixture with the goal of killing all the weeds in my yard and then laying sod .

I was going to lay sod on it this weekend but I think I really messed up. Did the amount I laid down now prevent me from growing sod there for a year?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2011, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. Read the label and it will tell you how extremely short lived its effectiveness is. Half percent mix is nothing. I have my sod jobs sprayed by a CPO that uses 5%. Quick and thorough 2 weeks later sod goes down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks,

Thank you for the quick reply Patriot.

I am such an idiot! I did a 5% ! mixture not .5%. so taking that into consideration what do you think?

If I buy some grass seed and throw it down to see if it takes is that a way to see?

I'm not doubting you but what threw me this morning is the bottle of Ortho ground clear concentrate says it is 5% glyphosate and it kills for a year?

Thanks again

Last edited by glengraf; 03-22-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was speaking of Roundup. Is there something else in the Ortho that would make it so long lasting. Straight RU is done pretty quick.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, it has Imazapyr in it with the glypho. I am still highly skeptical of the 1 year claim. You could always lay a small area and see if any problems arise. Some serious irrigation would probably wash it away that it would not be a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2011, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I dont see it effecting it for a year. That is on the verge of soil sterilization and I dont think ortho is going to sell you something that would do that too easily. I could be wrong though. From now on..just use Roundup..it works better and is cheaper in the long run if you get the concentrate.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are fine. 5% is close to an average mix to kill turf areas. The season long type killers use salts as sterilant. Of course, some would depend on what you cal a "5%" mixture. What was the % of concentrate, and how much did you mix? When I say say a 5% mix is close to an average, that is based on a 5% of a 41% mix.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I base my 5% on what the manufacturers label says constitutes 5%.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

First of all simply applying straight glyosphate regardless of the a.i. percentage has no impact whatsoever once it comes in contact with the soil. Glyosphate requires contact with leaf tissue on a plant that is actively growing as the salt gets translocated to the apical meristem where cellular interruption occurs causing plant death especially in monocots like C4 turf. You can even seed when the chemical is still wet from the application without harm to the seed.
Regarding residual activity in whatever additional chemical is present with the glyosphate as a carrier simply roto-till to a depth of three inches or so to break the chemical bond of the residual herbicide, lay the sod and you are good to go.
Oh, and for what it's worth, a 5% solution of glyosphate = throwing your money away. If you want a decent absorption try acquiring in the 41-44% a.i. range then add a additional surfactant. Then you'll see results.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

you guys are great for answering my question

I bought 2.5 gallons of inhibitor plus from a online rural supply house - rural king.

It is very interesting about the contact with the leafy substance for it to be active. I have postponed my 4 pallets of sod as a courtesy to the supply house. I didn't want to leave them hanging.

I'll wait a few more weeks and finsh the job, thanks again to all for your time.