Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think this is a case of not reading the label.
What it says -->

Ortho® GroundClear® Vegetation Killer Concentrate

How often to apply:
When properly applied, one application will prevent weeds for up to one year.

Where to Use:
Eliminates unwanted vegetation from driveways, walkways, patios and fence rows

Where Not to Use:
Do not use anywhere that you plan on planting or seeding desirable plants for at least a year.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
I think this is a case of not reading the label.
What it says -->

Ortho® GroundClear® Vegetation Killer Concentrate

Where Not to Use:
Do not use anywhere that you plan on planting or seeding desirable plants for at least a year.
the part about where you wrote - Do not use anywhere that you plan on planting or seeding desirable plants for at least a year - contradicts an earlier post from someone who sounds like they really know their stuff.

Either way thanks for replying.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow... I didn't even catch the Ortho Groundclear part in the previous post. I did mention the added salts though, as this is exactly what this has...and what you do not want. Activated charcoal and deep tilling or displacement are recommended. This isn't the same as just glyphosate... (such as the 41% that I mentioned) It (groundclear) is not conducive to proper root growth and uptake of the new sod.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There used to be an Ortho product called Triox that was removed from the market years ago that was specifically for keeping vegetation under control for a year. Hopefully you didn't apply the newer Groundclear version (or similar product) that contains Imazapyr. I have seen areas that were sprayed with this product and many months later nothing was growing in the area. Imazapyr is not going to go away any time soon from what I've seen.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Once the chemical bond the pesticide has with the soil is broken from either roto-tilling or a deep power raking the pesticide becomes inert. If you still feel a bit shaky you can add activated charcoal at approximately 7 - 9 lbs per thousand feet and lightly roto-till or power rake into the area meant for sod. Follow with an application of approximately 1/2" of water, wait for the soil to dry out then sod.
Then take this as a very hard learned lesson - namely learn to both read and understand the pesticide being used, it's label and the potential for off target side effects.
This is a classic case of an uneducated consumer utilizing a long residual pesticide and understanding essentially nothing associated with proper use and effect. Even worse is the poor advice from the box or agricultural stores that hawk this stuff - if the dude or dudet in the store knew what they were talking about don't you think they would actually be out in the economy putting that knowledge to use instead of schleping for $10/hr?