Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Crabgrass Control/Aeration

I have heard conflicting advice on the following question.

"Can you aerate after crabgrass prevention has been applied?"

Some say that aerating will break the "barrier" the product creates in the soil.

Others say that research shows that aeration after application has no effect on the effectiveness of the crabgrass preventer.

My dilemma: My lawn care guru applied Halts earlier this week before my scheduled aeration later this week. It is raining currently and the Halts is soaking in. If I aerate later this week, will it mess with the Halts? The way I look at it, the Halts hasn;t had time to make a barrier yet and the cores that are pulled will get reabsorbed back into the turf with Halts already in them. Any advice? I hate to reapply since I don't want to over do it and harm my gorgeous KBG.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach123 View Post
I have heard conflicting advice on the following question.

Some say that aerating will break the "barrier" the product creates in the soil.

Others say that research shows that aeration after application has no effect on the effectiveness of the crabgrass preventer.

My dilemma: My lawn care guru applied Halts earlier this week>

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
1) he is not a guru if he is using scotts plus halts, i bet he isnt licensed.

2)aeration will most certaainly break the barrier so will dethatching it. I would wait until after the ground dries at least 1 week, dethatch it, mow it short, aerate and overseed at a heavier rate and you should be good. imo
1-Z-Spray Int
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

LOL. Yeah..he isn't licensed..but he is my retired father who is obsessed with lawns. He actually put the Halts down because he didn't know I was aerating this spring. It sucks, because he meant well, but I hate to reapply and risk over doing it.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do the aerations in the fall. That way we avoid any possibility of having a outbreak of Crabgrass after the pre-emergent is put down.

I know of a competitor that aerated after Tru-Green did their pre-emergent application, and come mid July that particular homeowner had a huge outbreak in Crabgrass. The homeowner called me over to ask for my opinion about the outbreak while I was at his neighbors house. When I looked closely, all of the crabgrass plants where emerging from the edge of the aeration holes. He ended up hiring us the next year after noticing his neighbor didn't have the same problem.

So I would say it definitely breaks the barrier. I noticed you said "Halts" which I believe is the active ingredient Pendemethalin which is inferior to "Dimension" or the active ingredient Dithiopyr. Dimension has some post emergent activity in addition to the pre-emergent, so you end up getting more bang for your buck with Dimension.

2008 Haulmark 7'X16' Enclosed Trailer
2008 eXmark 60" Diesel
2008 eXmark 48" Turf Tracer
2006 eXmark 48" Turf Tracer
2008 eXmark 21" Metros
Lesco 200 Gallon Tank Sprayer
Lesco 80# Stainless Broadcast Spreaders
RedMax Backpack Blowers
Redmax String Trimmers
Tanaka Hedge Trimmers

Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

So you are saying I should reapply after aeration? Or should I just hold off on the aeration until Fall? Here's the deal. The pre-emergent hasn't even been absorbed into the soil yet. Does this change anything?

Thanks again for your professional advice
Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

as far as i am concerned the product is down, it rains there is your barrier, period.

break the barrier by dethatching and aeration then spread seed, if your lawn is in good shape do it in the fall. After you aerate and seed do not apply more pre emergent as it will also kill new seed.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Research from Michigan State says you can aerate after application of crabgrass control.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My opinion would be to hold off on aerating until fall. In fall the soil temps are going to keep going down, in spring the soil temps keep rising. For that reason alone is why my theory of doing the aeration in the fall is best. When the plug of soil is brought to the surface, you're also bringing up thousands of weed seeds. That said, soil temps rising in the spring make a perfect recipe for the weed seeds to germinate. So we avoid that altogether by doing the aeration in the fall. Some will argue otherwise, but I've noticed first hand what happens doing it the other way around. Your choice though, if the lawn didn't receive any water after the application, then the application hasn't been activated yet. You might be ok if you already scheduled the aeration for the customer. Good luck

2008 Haulmark 7'X16' Enclosed Trailer
2008 eXmark 60" Diesel
2008 eXmark 48" Turf Tracer
2006 eXmark 48" Turf Tracer
2008 eXmark 21" Metros
Lesco 200 Gallon Tank Sprayer
Lesco 80# Stainless Broadcast Spreaders
RedMax Backpack Blowers
Redmax String Trimmers
Tanaka Hedge Trimmers

Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach123 View Post
So you are saying I should reapply after aeration? Or should I just hold off on the aeration until Fall? Here's the deal. The pre-emergent hasn't even been absorbed into the soil yet. Does this change anything?

Thanks again for your professional advice
1. Wait till fall to do the aeration.
2. Don't try to reapply even if you do aerate as now your talking about putting down more nitrogen (since scotts is high in N to begin with) on top of what you have already applied and then your creating yet another problem, burning up your lawn.
3. Check out your local Co-OP and get away from Scotts. There's much better and much cheaper products that work much better.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I agree with the multiple above posts.

Wait until fall to aerate. You get the most out of fall aeration over a spring aerate.

The frost heave in the spring is the best compaction breaker. Doing an aeration in the fall helps to break the year's compaction and to help promote root growth for over-wintering.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.