Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Scag cheetah review!!!!!!!!

As some of you know, I run all Scag products and currently own an 08' Scag TT with a 29DFI LC and a 61" velocity plus deck. Naturally, I wanted to try out the new cheetah and the Scag rep quickly obliged me. My review is mixed...I was pleasantly pleased in some respects and disappointed in others.

I'll start with the suspension platform. It's awesome!!!!!!!!!!I owned a 00' Ferris IS 4000 when it was new on the market and the latest and greatest and it rode like a cloud. I was skeptical about the Scag compared to the Ferris but it rode just as good and in a simpler concept. Scag really hit the nail on the head with this one!! It soaked up everything on my properties and floated across the ground like the Ferris...talk about saving your back and increasing your time. The day of suspension mowers is here and anyone who doesn't make one is old hat.

Speed: Yea, it runs 16MPH and mows at that speed also. The speed and suspension combo make the Scag a winning mower. However, I've been on a Hustler SuperZ and give this category to the Hustler. The Scag seems to have to build up speed while the Hustler is instant speed making it more productive. I think the Scag would lose in a drag race!!! Also, I couldn't really see the purpose in the two speed...maybe if you're climbing hills all day but it's flat in Ga. mostly and I wouldn't use it. I was able to climb the gate on my landscaping truck in high gear and it's really steep.

Cut:What can I say, it's a velocity and mows just as well as my TT but at 16MPH!!!! I will say that the 31 Kawi felt weak compared to my 29DFI even with 2 extra HP. The V shaped engine + the LC make the TT a much stronger and more quality machine in my opinion. I wasn't blown away with the 31.........

Controls: I kept reaching to my right for the PTO because the TT is opposite. The levers were also stiffer and took a lot of input to get the machine to move forward. The TT requires a lot less effort and is much more precise. I take the TT all day long here also.

Hill side stability:You know, the low COG and mountain goat stability is another thing that sold me on Scag. The cheetah is just like it's animal counterpart....fast and good for only flat ground. You can forget about taking any steep banks with this cat. My TT sticks like glue on a 30 degree slope and the cheetah slides around like it's on ice...reminds me of my first Hustler that would slide on flat ground. This machine literally sits there and spins when you try and turn it around...not what I've come to expect from Scag. This is a real disappointment in my opinion. The Ferris I once owned would traverse a slope like a mountain goat also. The IS suspension would actually squat the machine and make it stick better. This is what Scag gets for two plastic fuel tanks and a higher COG...big trade off.

Quality of machine:This is where my opinion really started taking a nose dive. Let me say this much...it ain't no turf tiger!!!!The cheetah looks like a stamped out mass produced mower with budget in mind. The quality of a Scag is what sold me on the brand and I was really disappointed in this area. I was expecting a TT with suspension but it's a long ways from that. The cheetah may be fast and suspended but the TT feels like a big plush easy chair compared to a rocker...a cadillac compared to a pinto. The TT is simply a big plush tank and walks all over the cheetah in my opinion. I just hope Scag watches their quality.

In conclusion, Scag has hit the nail on the head with the cheetah in the speed and suspension department. However, they haven't built the perfect mower. They missed some very important Scag qualities with the durability issue and the hillside stability. Would I buy one? Yes, but only as a compliment to my TT and not a replacement. It will never be a replacement!!!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After running one it will never replace my TT either. Haven't seen to many mowers that would replace the TT.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the great review johnny!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 03-23-2011, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Very good review, Thank you! I was thinking about getting rid of my turf tiger's for two new Cheetah's, thought they would be the latest and greatest from Scag. I think I will hold off...
Old 03-23-2011, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thank you, another great review with great info. That's two great reviews this week! I appreciate the honesty as I'm a scag man too. I know scag and they will refine the cheeta and get it perfect. A new model always needs to have a few bugs worked out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Disappointing! The Cheetah was a contender but if its rubbish on slopes, then its no use to me!

Youtube Channel... http://tinyurl.com/l9a3843
Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

as always, demo for yourself mickhippy. but, excellent review. too bad they could not just have gone with a single tank under you like the other scag riders.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
as always, demo for yourself mickhippy. but, excellent review. too bad they could not just have gone with a single tank under you like the other scag riders.
Certainly will demo one. Just good to know what to look out for!
I find it strange that its no good on slopes though.

Hey Johnny, were you trying to turn in Hi or Low gears? Or both?

Youtube Channel... http://tinyurl.com/l9a3843
Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great review. We have the cheetah in here and the new 2011 super Z and when we get some free time here at the shop im going to try some side by side comparasions. Do some drag races and some hill climbs. Il post up some pictures when I get a chance.

( and I know a drag race has no relevance in the grand scheme of things but its fun to see)
Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Certainly will demo one. Just good to know what to look out for!
I find it strange that its no good on slopes though.

Hey Johnny, were you trying to turn in Hi or Low gears? Or both?
Since I couldn't find a need for the low gear, I kept it in high. However, it was sliding on flat ground and not just slopes. The way I test a mowers traction:I'll go down a slight embankment with the front facing down hill and I'll try to turn it around at the bottom or try and back up the hill without breaking a tire. The cheetah failed miserably at this...I tried to turn it around and it just sat there and spun wildly like I was stuck in mud. I've used just about every brand out there and I hate mowers that do that. It's one of the worst mowers I've seen for that, and that's with new tires!!!!! My TT tires are 3/4 worn and they still have much better traction.

You see, the TT is a low slung, wide platform that gives it it's stability. The cheetah is a narrower machine with a higher center of gravity. You can literally see the higher COG when you look at the back of the machine. The cheetah doesn't drag like the TT going onto the truck...it's probably 3+" difference.