Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSide Cutter View Post
After running one it will never replace my TT either. Haven't seen to many mowers that would replace the TT.
Scag didn't build the cheetah to replace the turf tiger. They are two completely different machines. If the cheetah is going to replace anything in the Scag line it will be the wildcat
Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldsmower View Post
Scag didn't build the cheetah to replace the turf tiger. They are two completely different machines. If the cheetah is going to replace anything in the Scag line it will be the wildcat

Before the cheetah came out I asked my scag rep if this was going to be a replacement for the TT and he said absoutley not. The TT is in a class of its own. I dont belive scag has the thought that they were going to convert TT owners to cheetah owners. I think they are going after other brands and trying to put them on scags. Which I think they will do.

Its great to sell the scag line with having one of the best mowers on the market in the TT and have possibly the second best in the cheetah. I dont compete aginst ferris since there is no dealer within 50 miles of us. But if I did the cheetah would be great to have in our back pocket.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
Since I couldn't find a need for the low gear, I kept it in high. However, it was sliding on flat ground and not just slopes. The way I test a mowers traction:I'll go down a slight embankment with the front facing down hill and I'll try to turn it around at the bottom or try and back up the hill without breaking a tire. The cheetah failed miserably at this...I tried to turn it around and it just sat there and spun wildly like I was stuck in mud. I've used just about every brand out there and I hate mowers that do that. It's one of the worst mowers I've seen for that, and that's with new tires!!!!! My TT tires are 3/4 worn and they still have much better traction.

You see, the TT is a low slung, wide platform that gives it it's stability. The cheetah is a narrower machine with a higher center of gravity. You can literally see the higher COG when you look at the back of the machine. The cheetah doesn't drag like the TT going onto the truck...it's probably 3+" difference.
i got to demo one and i did not notice to much of a hill problem. did your mower have turf master tires. i also dont think that it is any narrower then tt .center of gravity is definatly higher. they could not put the tank under the seat because of the suspension strut under there.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Cut:What can I say, it's a velocity and mows just as well as my TT but at 16MPH!!!! I will say that the 31 Kawi felt weak compared to my 29DFI even with 2 extra HP. The V shaped engine + the LC make the TT a much stronger and more quality machine in my opinion. I wasn't blown away with the 31.........

Hill side stability:You know, the low COG and mountain goat stability is another thing that sold me on Scag. The cheetah is just like it's animal counterpart....fast and good for only flat ground. You can forget about taking any steep banks with this cat. My TT sticks like glue on a 30 degree slope and the cheetah slides around like it's on ice...reminds me of my first Hustler that would slide on flat ground. This machine literally sits there and spins when you try and turn it around...not what I've come to expect from Scag. This is a real disappointment in my opinion. The Ferris I once owned would traverse a slope like a mountain goat also. The IS suspension would actually squat the machine and make it stick better. This is what Scag gets for two plastic fuel tanks and a higher COG...big trade off.
Both engines are V-twins. Actually just about any 2 cylinder engine you buy on any lawnmower today will be V-shaped.

Also about slopes:

The top blue line is a 20 degree slope....just saying.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Since I couldn't find a need for the low gear, I kept it in high. However, it was sliding on flat ground and not just slopes. The way I test a mowers traction:I'll go down a slight embankment with the front facing down hill and I'll try to turn it around at the bottom or try and back up the hill without breaking a tire. The cheetah failed miserably at this...I tried to turn it around and it just sat there and spun wildly like I was stuck in mud.
Well you weren't using the high and low ranges for their purposes. High range is meant for transport, not climbing hills. You wouldn't start your truck up a hill in overdrive, would you??
Old 03-23-2011, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Both engines are V-twins. Actually just about any 2 cylinder engine you buy on any lawnmower today will be V-shaped.

Also about slopes:

The top blue line is a 20 degree slope....just saying.
Yea, I realize the both are V-twins but the TT has a vertical shaft and the cheetah has a horizontal shaft and there is a difference. I will go with a vertical shaft any day...I just feel it's a stronger engine. As far as what I've been on with my TT, I maintain retention ponds and use an angleometer to determine a slope degree. I've been on a 30 degree slope with the TT but there's no way I'd do that with the cheetah.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowin'n'Howin View Post
Well you weren't using the high and low ranges for their purposes. High range is meant for transport, not climbing hills. You wouldn't start your truck up a hill in overdrive, would you??
Yea, this was the argument with the 15MPH add with the Hustler also. I argued that it was merely a transport speed until I was blue in the face in 08' but nobody believed me. Hustler themselves said it was for transport only in 00' and then they started saying it was for mowing at 15MPH. The problem is that most on here weren't around mowing in 00' and so they don't really know. I just quit arguing and left it at that.

Scag has come onto the market advertising the mower mowing at 16MPH and it was able to do that in my review. I purposely climbed hills in high to compare it to the Hustler and all the complaints Hustler received about their hydros. I used a Super Z several times and I related the high speed to equal high gearing and poor hill climbing. I think Scag may have heard the same argument and went with a two speed...I don't know. I just know the Scag climbed hills fine in high gear but I wouldn't make a habit of this. I personally wouldn't have to use low gear much. I do know the 5400 transaxles were exceptionally loud and I prefer the TT hydros. My wife could hear me in the subdivision across the road when I was just playing around. That's loud!!!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I just watched the Scag Cheetah video again and the low range is for normal use and high range for wide open mowing and transport. Do you think it would have been better on hills in low? Seems traction would be better in low. I think we may need another test in low range to see how it does. Low seems to be the primary gear and high would be used for special situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HsgbwrWqBM
Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I just watched the Scag Cheetah video again and the low range is for normal use and high range for wide open mowing and transport. Do you think it would have been better on hills in low? Seems traction would be better in low. I think we may need another test in low range to see how it does. Low seems to be the primary gear and high would be used for special situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HsgbwrWqBM
I still have it so I will test it in low range. I think the traction issue is related to the design. To me, the whole purpose for the suspension and the speed is to be able to use it all the time to save time..time=money. As far as Hustler is concerned, you use the speed all the time.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I still have it so I will test it in low range. I think the traction issue is related to the design. To me, the whole purpose for the suspension and the speed is to be able to use it all the time to save time..time=money. As far as Hustler is concerned, you use the speed all the time.
Awesome! Try it in low and let us know! May feel like a different machine. I think it was designed to run in low according to the video. Up to 12 mph low 16 mph high. Thanks man.