Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
Yea, I realize the both are V-twins but the TT has a vertical shaft and the cheetah has a horizontal shaft and there is a difference. I will go with a vertical shaft any day...I just feel it's a stronger engine. As far as what I've been on with my TT, I maintain retention ponds and use an angleometer to determine a slope degree. I've been on a 30 degree slope with the TT but there's no way I'd do that with the cheetah.
TT uses a horizontal shaft engine. Cheetah uses a vertical shaft....just FYI.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
TT uses a horizontal shaft engine. Cheetah uses a vertical shaft....just FYI.
That's what I meant. It computed upstairs but came out wrong.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Yea, this was the argument with the 15MPH add with the Hustler also. I argued that it was merely a transport speed until I was blue in the face in 08' but nobody believed me. Hustler themselves said it was for transport only in 00' and then they started saying it was for mowing at 15MPH. The problem is that most on here weren't around mowing in 00' and so they don't really know. I just quit arguing and left it at that.

Scag has come onto the market advertising the mower mowing at 16MPH and it was able to do that in my review. I purposely climbed hills in high to compare it to the Hustler and all the complaints Hustler received about their hydros. I used a Super Z several times and I related the high speed to equal high gearing and poor hill climbing. I think Scag may have heard the same argument and went with a two speed...I don't know. I just know the Scag climbed hills fine in high gear but I wouldn't make a habit of this. I personally wouldn't have to use low gear much. I do know the 5400 transaxles were exceptionally loud and I prefer the TT hydros. My wife could hear me in the subdivision across the road when I was just playing around. That's loud!!!!!

Yea I don't know why you didn't try it in low cause thats what you are suppose to mow in normally anyway. thats what it says on the scag website, only suppose to use high for transport and if you are not cutting off much.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Yea, this was the argument with the 15MPH add with the Hustler also. I argued that it was merely a transport speed until I was blue in the face in 08' but nobody believed me. Hustler themselves said it was for transport only in 00' and then they started saying it was for mowing at 15MPH. The problem is that most on here weren't around mowing in 00' and so they don't really know. I just quit arguing and left it at that.

Scag has come onto the market advertising the mower mowing at 16MPH and it was able to do that in my review. I purposely climbed hills in high to compare it to the Hustler and all the complaints Hustler received about their hydros. I used a Super Z several times and I related the high speed to equal high gearing and poor hill climbing. I think Scag may have heard the same argument and went with a two speed...I don't know. I just know the Scag climbed hills fine in high gear but I wouldn't make a habit of this. I personally wouldn't have to use low gear much. I do know the 5400 transaxles were exceptionally loud and I prefer the TT hydros. My wife could hear me in the subdivision across the road when I was just playing around. That's loud!!!!!
Was it at all jerky while climbing the hills in high? The Super Z's would jerk going uphill something awful due to the high gears. I would liked to hear how well the Cheetah did in low range on hills performing the same tasks, you might of liked the mower better. Also you said the hydro 5400 was loud, was that just in high gear? I've never noticed that on the Outlaw. The 5400's take getting used to going downhill, but once you figure it out they work great at both up or down.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Was it at all jerky while climbing the hills in high? The Super Z's would jerk going uphill something awful due to the high gears. I would liked to hear how well the Cheetah did in low range on hills performing the same tasks, you might of liked the mower better. Also you said the hydro 5400 was loud, was that just in high gear? I've never noticed that on the Outlaw. The 5400's take getting used to going downhill, but once you figure it out they work great at both up or down.
I didn't find it that jerky in high so that's why it felt natural to run it in high versus low. The 5400's seemed to be loud in low and high but mostly high since that's where I ran it.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Jb how many hrs have you ran on it? I have a tt and tried a preproduction cheetah last fall. Hillside for me was the same. You feel the rubber iso's move on the hillside but once you get used to it you know what to feel for. Starts in high gear you do feel it braphh starting out but in low it doesn't. Personally 70% of my accounts I woulf use low gear the other open stuff is for high gear.

For the build quality what was wrong? It has the double tube frame, same front as the newest tt's. The roll bar storage is great. I didn't see a lack of quality in my eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Jb how many hrs have you ran on it? I have a tt and tried a preproduction cheetah last fall. Hillside for me was the same. You feel the rubber iso's move on the hillside but once you get used to it you know what to feel for. Starts in high gear you do feel it braphh starting out but in low it doesn't. Personally 70% of my accounts I woulf use low gear the other open stuff is for high gear.

For the build quality what was wrong? It has the double tube frame, same front as the newest tt's. The roll bar storage is great. I didn't see a lack of quality in my eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device
I put quite a bit of time on it. I wouldn't turn one down but I didn't feel it was near as plush as the TT and a lot of the metal looked thinner-it may be my imagination but I don't think so. As far as hillside stability, low or high gear won't make a difference, it's not the TT...higher COG, narrower machine, no center fuel tank. The top mechanic at the dealer I got the machine from agreed with me about the lack of quality.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I put quite a bit of time on it. I wouldn't turn one down but I didn't feel it was near as plush as the TT and a lot of the metal looked thinner-it may be my imagination but I don't think so. As far as hillside stability, low or high gear won't make a difference, it's not the TT...higher COG, narrower machine, no center fuel tank. The top mechanic at the dealer I got the machine from agreed with me about the lack of quality.
this is the second time i saw this on here and i asked before. how is it narrower.i justdont see how
Old 03-24-2011, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torotorotoro View Post
this is the second time i saw this on here and i asked before. how is it narrower.i justdont see how
Im curious as well. I just got a TT and Cheetah in so if i remember i will try to measure and maybe get a side by side picture
Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Outside rear wheel comparison would be best. I'm trying to figure out where the thinner metal is. Deck, double tube (also wider), front wheel mounts, deck hanging/lift system basically the same. Around the wheel motor/pumps seem stout. The platform is as thick. The cable controls I remember feel different but strong.

I really think the rubber iso mounts for the seat is throwing you off. Weight is 1350 if I remember right for the 60" so it needs something there to get up there. Sure the shock/platform stuff is extra but it also does not have a gearbox/driveshaft.

I don't think it replaces the tt but is up there in toughness.
Posted via Mobile Device