Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2011, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I drove the Cheetah for a few min's at my dealer demo days and I did noticed a very nice ride over bumps, didnt get a chance to drive it on a hill. Doesn't nose dive like the Ferris I also tried out there which had the diesel in it.
Yes the Cheetah does seem like you sit a bit higher than the TT, and the controls for me would take a bit of getting used to since they are on the right. I ended up buying a new TT, Im familiar with the machine, I know what part is where and what will need replacing.
The TT is wider and has a lower center of gravity. As far as quality, I would say it is up there with the Wildcat, its built well for the size of the machine and has some added things that the TT has but it is not a TT. I was told it will eventually replace the Wildcat.
It is a nice machine for its target market. Im just a TT guy now dont think I could drive any other ZTR. ha
2003 8.5x16' Great Lakes Cargo Enclosed Trailer
2005 6x20' BNM tandem 12,000lbs trailer
2011 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2005 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2004 Scag 72" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2001 Scag 52" Turf Tiger 23 LCKawi
2002 Scag 52" SWZ 17 Kawi
2003 JD 250 Series II 64hp
Echo handhelds
Old 03-25-2011, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklawnman View Post
I drove the Cheetah for a few min's at my dealer demo days and I did noticed a very nice ride over bumps, didnt get a chance to drive it on a hill. Doesn't nose dive like the Ferris I also tried out there which had the diesel in it.
Yes the Cheetah does seem like you sit a bit higher than the TT, and the controls for me would take a bit of getting used to since they are on the right. I ended up buying a new TT, Im familiar with the machine, I know what part is where and what will need replacing.
The TT is wider and has a lower center of gravity. As far as quality, I would say it is up there with the Wildcat, its built well for the size of the machine and has some added things that the TT has but it is not a TT. I was told it will eventually replace the Wildcat.
It is a nice machine for its target market. Im just a TT guy now dont think I could drive any other ZTR. ha
i dont think tt is wider.still waiting for someone to show the specs.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Wood View Post
I have to subscribe to this thread. I bought 2 cheetahs and got rid of 2 super Z.
I got sick of the xr7 cut in wet conditions and crap grass. I love the velocity deck! The cheetahs ride great but don't handle quite as well as the supers.
I adjusted my steering dampeners to the softest of the 3 positions. This makes them more responsive but maybe a little jerky.
I used to hate Scag levers. I had a Super Z that drove and handled excellent but wouldn't cut wet or weedy grass, especially crabgrass. Hustler bought it back and I bought a Turf Tiger. I have had no more problems with cutting. The Velocity deck will cut anything I throw at it, tall, wet, weedy, etc. It just takes a few hours to get used to the extra dampening on the Scag levers and now I never event think about them. The one speed 15 mph set up on the Hustler made it stall going up hills or long slopes. I would not want a mower that had a 15 mph top speed at the expense of torque again. The Cheetah with the 12 mph low would take care of that problem. I think the Cheetah is a great addition to the Scag family and will handle most everyday mowing but it should be compared to the Wildcat, not a Turf Tiger. I run Turf Tigers but I cut very steep area's. Actually the extra dampening on the Scags make it a little less jerky when trying to keep a strait line on rough ground but of course they don't turn as easily as the Super Z. It becomes a non issue after a few hours, just give yourself some time to adjust.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Really aint to much difference in size, Maybe 2" on length. And the speed on it means nothing to me. The TT is fast enough. And price isn't that much less than a TT.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A Turf Tiger with the suspension would be perfect for me. I don't want the two speed. The Turf Tiger design may not be the best for everyone but the design has survived a long time while other models have been reinvented several times. It's a bit of a dinosaur. I think the cheetah ride platform is a great idea, great ride with few moving parts.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200 View Post
I used to hate Scag levers. I had a Super Z that drove and handled excellent but wouldn't cut wet or weedy grass, especially crabgrass. Hustler bought it back and I bought a Turf Tiger. I have had no more problems with cutting. The Velocity deck will cut anything I throw at it, tall, wet, weedy, etc. It just takes a few hours to get used to the extra dampening on the Scag levers and now I never event think about them. The one speed 15 mph set up on the Hustler made it stall going up hills or long slopes. I would not want a mower that had a 15 mph top speed at the expense of torque again. The Cheetah with the 12 mph low would take care of that problem. I think the Cheetah is a great addition to the Scag family and will handle most everyday mowing but it should be compared to the Wildcat, not a Turf Tiger. I run Turf Tigers but I cut very steep area's. Actually the extra dampening on the Scags make it a little less jerky when trying to keep a strait line on rough ground but of course they don't turn as easily as the Super Z. It becomes a non issue after a few hours, just give yourself some time to adjust.
Hey Tacoma, long time, no see!!!! I only compared the cheetah to a TT because that's all I have to compare it to. If I had a wildcat, I'd compare it to that. I think a lot on here misunderstood that I wasn't actually comparing the two on purpose. For your embankments, the cheetah wouldn't be the mower for you. When you ride the cheetah, you feel like you're riding on top of it and when you get on the TT, you feel like you're in it. It feels much lower to the ground, wider, longer, and just gives you a much more secure feeling on embankments. I'll say this to everyone on here, you have to operate both machines to understand what I'm talking about.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSide Cutter View Post
Really aint to much difference in size, Maybe 2" on length. And the speed on it means nothing to me. The TT is fast enough. And price isn't that much less than a TT.
i used to mow on my z-500 at 8mph and i thought it was great. then i got a dixie chopper and found out how much more could be done in a day. speed is #1 comfort a close second.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torotorotoro View Post
i used to mow on my z-500 at 8mph and i thought it was great. then i got a dixie chopper and found out how much more could be done in a day. speed is #1 comfort a close second.
Yea, I didn't think speed meant much until I rode a Super Z. I'll put it to you like this, we were mowing a 30 acre warehouse and it was taking 12 hours to do it. We did it in 6 hrs one day with the Super Z!!!!!!!! I was sitting at home by 1PM and had made $1200. I wasn't impressed with the quality of the Hustler compared to my Scag but I was able to make two passes compared to one with the speed difference. You keep the blades really sharp and you can make some dough with a fast mower.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
Yea, I didn't think speed meant much until I rode a Super Z. I'll put it to you like this, we were mowing a 30 acre warehouse and it was taking 12 hours to do it. We did it in 6 hrs one day with the Super Z!!!!!!!! I was sitting at home by 1PM and had made $1200. I wasn't impressed with the quality of the Hustler compared to my Scag but I was able to make two passes compared to one with the speed difference. You keep the blades really sharp and you can make some dough with a fast mower.
my g3 with a 34 kal is rated to go 11 1/2 mpr and a tt with a 29 liquid cooled kal is supposed to go 12 mph, but my g3 smokes it. its not even close. do you find your hustler not going the rated speed in the manuel.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I knew you were comparing the two for a reason JohnnyB. It seemed others were not, I'm guessing the Cheetah would compare to a Wildcat or old Lazer on hills? Anyway I've run Dixie and Hustler and 15 mph doesn't help in my area very much. I'm sure it helps in some parts of the country more than others. I know my friends with Dixies have mentioned they would gladly trade me due to some of the rough terrain. There are some places here a Dixie will cut well at full speed. I know the turf here is a lot different than Oklahoma or even North of the transition zone. I guess you need the right mower for your area.
Posted via Mobile Device