Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-18-2011, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Man, there are a ton of mowers to choose from...

Ok, I have "bought" into a mowing business and I am going to make one last purchase. We were looking into getting a smaller 34"-36" walk-behind as we need to get into some backyards and there are a few yards with fairly steep hills. It is becoming clear that 34-36 is really small though and there may not be enough uses for that size. Here is what I have been looking at and it is becoming more complicated the more I research.

We will be using this mower approximately 10-15 hours a week.

Crafstman 33inch- Found out it is crap. Apparently the belt pops off constantly.

Ariens/Gravely 34" WAW-Belt drive 1399.00 and can buy from a dealer

Used Ferris hydro 48" w/5x8 tilt trailer-2800.00. What should I offer for mower seperate? Who makes Ferris and who is it comparable to?

I guess my question is should I get a 34-36" mower or ust skip it for a faster and larger machine?

Thanks a bunch,
Sam
Old 03-18-2011, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris is one of the better brands out there.Briggs and stration own them and they also make Snapper. Larger machines will stick to hills better than small ones. Belt drives are cheaper than hydros but they have there drawbacks. If you have gates a 36" is a must unless you want to use a push mower a lot.
It all depends on how you want to use it. Having mowers of different sizes really helps.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

try NOT to interview a machine, interview the dealer,
Make sure he's been there a while and is going to carry this line of product.
also make sure there is more than one dealer in your area.

there's nothing worse than having a berakdown, and finding out you have to drive 250 miles to get a part...

Best of luck in yor decission
Old 03-19-2011, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I really appreciate the feedback. The 34" WAW seems like the best fit for us. We have a 14' trailer and 60" Toro Z-Master and purchasing the WAW would allow us to keep our existing trailer. We only have 22 or so weekly mowing jobs, a handfule of bi-weekly, and a few monthly gigs. The idea is to grow slowly while focusing on quality work and customer retention. We will start doing a 4 acre property in July and that might be a good time to take a hard look at a larger walk-behind.

This forum has been very helpful and it appears to be the best resource for talking about the trade. Now if I can stop bidding mulch a a little more accurately!! Although my wife is enjoying the fresh mulch in our flower beds.

Oh, I have been to a few dealers around me and they know absolutely nothing about the smaller walk-behinds. They do not keep them in stock as there is a focus on tractors and very large mowers in my area.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Rephrase that:

When I said "they know absolutely nothing about walk-behinds," I mean that they have to read from the brochure and and cannot add anything other than what the brochure says. They never sell them apparently but their service departments are surely very knowledgeable.

Didn't want to throw these guys under the tractor.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a 36 granstand or wright or get the 26 metro
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2011, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldnt go near anything other than a toro,scag,exmark, or wright, no pos craftsman
Old 03-27-2011, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

if you have the money, get a 36 inch wright or toro grandstand, they are small and can fit through most backyard gates, if money is a issue, get a Exmark metro 36 walk behind with a velke and the pistol grip