Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh No, Another Newbie

Hello all, just getting started in the lawn care business in Ohio. Thought I would introduce myself and ask a couple of questions.
I've read many posts already and picked up some great info so far. I've just finished reading the post about starting a new lawn care business with partners, and how you guys highly suggested that you don't do that but.....the company that myself and 2 other guys are starting with be LLC company, with all of us having specific duties and responsibilities.
We are just starting out by doing fert apps and some lawn pest control. Probably with sub out the mowing and landscaping at first.
I'm going to be handling the accounting and marketing aspects of the business and I was hoping to get some input from everyone. Now, I know, I'm in Ohio and everywhere is different, but I'm sure there is some common things throughout the country.
What I'm curious about is, what is your typical demographics of your customers? So here's my questions:
1. Who typically makes the decisions in residential accounts and who is making the decisions in commercial accounts?
2. Are there certain areas that you target, like subdivisions and etc?
3. What has been the best form of marketing for your business?
4. How do you compete with the BIG guys like TruGreen and etc?
5. What do your customers like about your company?
I'm sure I could keep going on and on, but I will stop there.
I promise you, I am not a TruGreen or other big company employee, because alot of the questions I asked might seem like that.(Actually, one of the partners in the business used to work for TruGreen, so they are one of my biggest concerns in the business.)
Your input would be greatly appreciated, we are just in the planning stage right now, but I would like to get the marketing and the business organization setup now.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is so much that is 'wrong' in the industry that perhaps the best thing to do is set yourself apart from the Herd, by offering healthy turf, rather than overkill to create problems, so you can sell More services to make more money...

You say you are not a TGCL wannabee, so let me ask you... What will you be doing differently?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

First mistake, "PARTNER". Second mistake "PARTNER". Competing with TG is easy. Find one of their crappy looking yards and approach the owner. TG does themselves in by over promising and under delivering.