Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-23-2002, 11:39 AM
TURF MAGAZINE Publisher

Question on disasters in your area

Hi folks,

Big fires in Colorado and Oregon ... drout in the southwest and southeast (and the Carolinas).

What you are doing to cope ... expanding services? ... getting a job outside the industry? ... being creative? ...

I think many could benefit from the power of example.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thinking, planning, expanding, developing new markets, evaluating and networking is what I do. Hard times usually mean the people with calm nerves and preparation will excel in adversity.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3:dry hear in central jersey, but we've been pluggin along. maybe all that moisture will come in the winter, if not were in trouble next spring. tony
Old 09-23-2002, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt mind a bad hurricane some weekend..that way my weekly work is done and I could charge a fortune running my Huskys....lol
Old 09-24-2002, 10:31 AM
TURF MAGAZINE Publisher

You are so right 65Hoss. Every night, the talking heads on tv tell me how bad the economy is ... and yet, most of us keep moving forward. Adversity indeed breeds success for folks who bull ahead despite being told it can't be done.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim:

In June of 2001 we had a tropical storm visit the Houston area twice. One of the areas hardest hit was by the church that I attend and many of our church members were affected. Most of those in that area got 1-2 feet of water in their house. The men in my Sunday School class spent the next 8 weeks cleaning up homes and yards for members including ripping out sheetrock, waiting a week for things to dry out and them reinstalling. We had a number of their neighbors, non church members, ask if we could help them, and that they would pay us for it. A small group of us told them that when we finished with the church members (we were innundated with these folks), we would come and help them, if they had not found anyone else. We wound up doing quite a few. I was also able to help some people with their yards in the process.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim K.,
Glad you brought this up. I am currently part-time, although I have 1 employee who works for me while I am at my other job. Wanting to get back in business for myself fulltime I kept thinking about the what-if's, like a another drought, not enough work etc. etc. So as things happened had a friend who was building custom decks part-time. We are going to be partners in this business as well as me keeping my mowing business. I think this will work well. I know partnerships can be difficult, but we have hashed out a lot of issues and will be seeing an attorny to draw up a partnership agreement. Wish me luck! I am real excited about being back at self- employment full-time.:blob4:

give a man a fish feed him for a day; teach a man to fish feed him for a lifetime!
Old 09-24-2002, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

BTW Jim,
I have never gotten my subscription to your magazine. I would love to start receiving it.

give a man a fish feed him for a day; teach a man to fish feed him for a lifetime!