Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2011, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Lazer Z hydro Question

First, Thanks for reading and any help you can give.

I have a 2004 Exmark LZ. 23hp Kawi. Air cooled.

Last Last Fall on one of my last cleanup jobs Left Hydro started acting up. Still moves, but kinda surges and is weak. seems like maybe air in the system but not sure .I thought that the pump may be going , but from what i understand when the pump goes its done ,nothing at all. Just had replaced both dampeners but i dont believe this is related. Well anyway i store all my equipment in my shed and before i had a chance to work on anything the snow came.
Well out comes everything today to get ready for the season.

checked filter, its tight
checked lines , no leaks that i could see
checked drive belt and tension pulley , both new and look fine.

It is due for an hydro filter and oil change.
Might solve the problem , but wanted to get some opinions before i did anything.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have it checked out, it"s an easy test at a shop. I had one go, it would run fine on level ground, but when I went up an incline it would get weak and make a groaning noise. Put a new one in and it ran fine.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

at a idle climb ur trailer ramp if wont climb even then there a weak pump or wheel motor
New filter and oil wont fix it
Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you will likely have to take it to a shop the tools to tell if it is the pump or wheel motor accurately are over $250 so it is cheaper to pay the labor then buy the tools.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

It will go up hill or a ramp . But surges. Meaning it goes then slows and pump gets rough then goes again. Seems to be better when fluid is not hot .
Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do most of repairs including install of pumps and motors myself. However, I have found if you want good testing ability find a good hydraulic shop. Most mower shops don't do a lot of testing (around here anyway) they just will swap out parts. I have a local hydraulic guys who will test and rebuild (when cost effective) pumps and motors. Usually the pumps are cheaper just to replace but wheel motors can often be repaired for a couple hundred.

Get it to a good shop that has hydraulic testing meters, not just a mower shop that will drive it.
www.jessefrymaintenance.com
Old 03-25-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Have a 2007 Lazer HP and I just rebuilt the engine. It's now running fine (a little extra smoke amybe). PTO checks fine but really sluggish on the hydros. I never unhooked any hydro lines and the level seems fine, but I do recall one day that the reservoir (which I had to disconnect from the frame to get the motor off) titled over and leaked fluid.

Could I have gotten air in the system? What's the procedure for bleeding? By the way, I do not see any foaming in the resv at all. Thanks ...
Old 03-25-2011, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT18fireman View Post
I do most of repairs including install of pumps and motors myself. However, I have found if you want good testing ability find a good hydraulic shop. Most mower shops don't do a lot of testing (around here anyway) they just will swap out parts. I have a local hydraulic guys who will test and rebuild (when cost effective) pumps and motors. Usually the pumps are cheaper just to replace but wheel motors can often be repaired for a couple hundred.

Get it to a good shop that has hydraulic testing meters, not just a mower shop that will drive it.
That was the tools I was talking about find a hydrogear service center. They should have trained techs to repair your hydros. The meters are $300 to $400 depending on when and where you buy them. Most service centers are not hydrogear but when you find one they should have access to a meter to test your transmission correctly.