Register free!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'll do it for $3600
Old 03-25-2011, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I actually thought you were a little low. I just landed a similiar size walk for 5400$. The customer smiled said thank you and asked for a bid to do an even longer walkway. Wonderful people. I am thinking of giving them a "Lack of bullshit" discount.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What you need to say to mr homeowner is " if I give you the same price as company b then why would you choose me" If he answers the obvious like your reputation and quality and attention to detail, then you need to say "enough said". Then either get him to sign the deal or just walk away Andrew. I really hope your season doesn't go down like this.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is this really a 3 day walk?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

zedo - I doubt this'll be his whole season. Mine's starting off decently, and all the REALLY rich folk are on his side of the river.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
What you need to say to mr homeowner is " if I give you the same price as company b then why would you choose me" If he answers the obvious like your reputation and quality and attention to detail, then you need to say "enough said". Then either get him to sign the deal or just walk away Andrew. I really hope your season doesn't go down like this.

During a normal economy, I run on a 33% closure rate for hardscaps and landscapes. So not getting hardscape work is routine for me, and I'm ok with that.

A few years ago I had a man say he was gonna use us, sent him a proposal, he crossed out all the legal stuff and faxed it back to me, which I still have that proposal with his changes!

This is the 1st time a person has tried to tell me what I should charge.

And yes, our walks are alotta money. The delivery and mobilization fee is the same if we install 5 layers of product or 10 pallets, so the fixed fees will drive the per SF price up. It's very seldom that our walks are ever any less than $3500. And we NEVER complete a walk in one or 1.5 days, they almost always take 3 days with the turf restoration, clean up, etc.

The phone is ringing. And we have more work sold than we have for the last 2 years at this time. And my other little division (non hardscape related) has been a godsend and is doing very well.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
zedo - I doubt this'll be his whole season. Mine's starting off decently, and all the REALLY rich folk are on his side of the river.
Up here the exact opposite of last year, we are slow to start but may be attributed to the deep frost and snow still on the ground. We have a federal election brewing at the moment, which can also put a hold on peoples spending habits. Nice to know the sun is shining brighter on the "other side".
Old 03-25-2011, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here, I've been flat out since mid-February. Don't get me wrong, I'm still getting my share of ridiculous calls, but at least most of them are making it clear over the phone that we are not now and never will be on the same page to work together. Although I do have a guy up DVS's way (Annapolis) who loves my work, and totally wants to sign the design agreement, but... "first I'd really like to see just some hand drawn concepts of what you would do so we can be sure. Couldn't take you more than 30-60 minutes, I'm sure." Why yes, last time I was in Philly I went into Morimoto's and said "I've heard good things about your food, but why don't you make me a couple plates to really win me over?"
Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

DVS- How can you spend more then 1.5 days on a walkway that is 125 sq ft?

Can you explain what would happen each day on the job? I know it can't take that long to run the border course smooth! I'm just curious.

On a side note we have exactly the amount of work signed at this time that we did last year. However we have a massive amount of other leads we are currently working/designing. I'd almost go as far as to say the dollar amount of leads I have on the table right now is greater then all the jobs we priced out last year. However that is partly due to the massive amount of advertising we are doing. It took us some time to figure out what works best. But now that we have it figured out I am pouring money into it like no tomorrow. We will have a good year.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Matt - who is the "we"??
Posted via Mobile Device