Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2011, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

THE zt will easily handle 4-6 acres. you dont need a commercial mower for that kind of mowing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2011, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvries1 View Post
sometimes people have a budget and they try to get the best fit.....

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and comments. I'd love to buy they 7K$+ mower and I know you'll get value for money, but I'd better be realistic.

Based on the comments I think the ZT with the 180 hours for 3K$ or less (still have some negotiation space) is probably the best deal I can get for the job.

Forgot to mention that it probably is for the next 4 years, so with the 180 hours on the clock, 4 years of 100 hours to go, I should be fine....

Still the questions remains; anything particular I need to look at when buying the used TZ? Anybody aware of particular week spots I need to focus on? Thanks in advance for your advice!
I certainly do understand people have budgets, but sometimes a few more bucks can really pay off. A CZT is really not that much more, we are talking hundreds with the Kohler option, but anyway!

Good luck with the purchase, I have no doubt that it will handle your needs, The ZT is a good mower and still better than some in that segment, the ZT is probably even par with a Scag Freedom Z. There is no doubt that it can cut 5 acres, but it is just a matter that the machine is not recommend for that kind of use, but that does not mean it will not do it.

If you are serious and do go and look at the machine, just be sure to run the engine wide open and make sure it comes up to top speed. Listen for any bad tapping or any smoke! Then get it going and really give the hydros a testing, see if there is any slippage or clunks or bangs. Then just engage the blades and listen for any loose pulleys or squeals. I would then just take a peek at all the filters and look at the engine oil dipstick. I would also just poke around and see whey the owner is selling it. You should know right away if it was taken care just by looking at it. Good luck and let us know what you find!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I understand a CZT is a few hundred more, if you compare a new ZT with a new CZT. I decided to get a better quality used one for my 3K budget, so comparing new machines in the 4,5K - 5K price range is nice on paper (and helps deciding) but unfortunately won't change my budget :-).
Thanks for all the contributions what to look for when buying used. This is extremely helpful.

Ton
Old 03-25-2011, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Capemay Eagle;3955854]I certainly do understand people have budgets, but sometimes a few more bucks can really pay off. A CZT is really not that much more, we are talking hundreds with the Kohler option, but anyway! Good luck with the purchase, I have no doubt that it will handle your needs, The ZT is a good mower and still better than some in that segment, the ZT is probably even par with a Scag Freedom Z. There is no doubt that it can cut 5 acres, but it is just a matter that the machine is not recommend for that kind of use, but that does not mean it will not do it. If you are serious and do go and look at the machine, just be sure to run the engine wide open and make sure it comes up to top speed. Listen for any bad tapping or any smoke! Then get it going and really give the hydros a testing, see if there is any slippage or clunks or bangs. Then just engage the blades and listen for any loose pulleys or squeals. I would then just take a peek at all the filters and look at the engine oil dipstick. C
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2011, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2011, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

One more question: Anybody knows if and where you can get a mulch kit for the ZT 50"? (price indication appreciated)
Ton
Old 03-25-2011, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes they do at your local bad boy dealer. Will run you around 200 bucks i think
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2011, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

think what I saw on the Bad boy website is that it excludes the ZT series, but not sure....
Somebody out there who bought and installed a mulch kit on a (2010) ZT 50"?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvries1 View Post
think what I saw on the Bad boy website is that it excludes the ZT series, but not sure....
Somebody out there who bought and installed a mulch kit on a (2010) ZT 50"?
I looked it up on the site under ZT options and it looks like they are just GatorBlades? I use to use Gatorblades on my Hustler rather than a mulching kit and they worked really good! I then switched to Meg Mo blades and I loved the Meg Mo blades! those blades literally turned the grass to powder!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Pulled the trigger and bought the ZT for $2,850. Gonna pick it up tomorrow morning, only need to rent a trailer...

Now I need a good website to order parts. I want to/need to full service for the season; filters (hydraulic and engine), oil, and new mower blades. I' sure you guys have recommendations for ordering parts for Badboy mowers online...

Thanks again for your help and support.
Ton

Tags
badboy , ztr