Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestLandscape View Post
Im in the process right now building one for my exmark vantage. I bought a full ultra vac system off a 52" lazer for $600 which was a steal. I got $100 in steel from the supply yard, and $150 for a day of welding from my shop mechanic and i should be set for under $900
When you have it completed could you please post pics? I'm interested in this for my Vantage as well. Are you mounting the leaf box on the front or behind the platform?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
i have no idea on the price.. but thats what i was thinking of just building one.. can probally do it for under 200 bucks in scrap metal.. and use an old pos blower
This is exactly what I am going to do. I have two old Husqvarna backpack blower that I do not use. I have an old stander and a brand new one. I am going to attempt to build one. I am going to start with a bagger from an old garden tractor. I'll probably will design my own debris catcher. I would think it would have to be aluminum due to weight, especially on a stander.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't understand how an actual bagging system hasn't come out yet for a stand on mower…every make has their own collection system that works just about the same, just simply take that system and put it on a stander, not very difficult at all…yes, it will throw the weight off a bit, but does that make the riders any different? no

i saw a picture the other day on here of the exmark vantage with the ultra-vac on it, pretty slick set up…if an individual can do it, a company like exmark should be able to accomplish it

also, i do not like the back pack blower set up, clever idea, but it's not the best…it's an additional $500 right off that bat that is going to wear out very fast, it's loud, and i don't see it working better than attaching a belt around the blade spindle, plus it's an independent engine that you have to turn on/off EVERY time you want to dump, it's simply not as convenient

i own a trac-vac for a walk behind and an ultra-vac for an exmark lazer, although the trac-vac is a night bagging system, it's not as nice as the ultra-vac…bags just as well, but having to turn it on and off each time is a pain, it's also a pull start
Old 10-30-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
i don't understand how an actual bagging system hasn't come out yet for a stand on mower…every make has their own collection system that works just about the same, just simply take that system and put it on a stander, not very difficult at all…yes, it will throw the weight off a bit, but does that make the riders any different? no

i saw a picture the other day on here of the exmark vantage with the ultra-vac on it, pretty slick set up…if an individual can do it, a company like exmark should be able to accomplish it

also, i do not like the back pack blower set up, clever idea, but it's not the best…it's an additional $500 right off that bat that is going to wear out very fast, it's loud, and i don't see it working better than attaching a belt around the blade spindle, plus it's an independent engine that you have to turn on/off EVERY time you want to dump, it's simply not as convenient

i own a trac-vac for a walk behind and an ultra-vac for an exmark lazer, although the trac-vac is a night bagging system, it's not as nice as the ultra-vac…bags just as well, but having to turn it on and off each time is a pain, it's also a pull start

Would you be able at all to fun the picture of that vantage with the ultravac. I'm 80% done with my fabrication but it'd be nice to see if they had the same thoughts I did. Thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Would you be able at all to fun the picture of that vantage with the ultravac. I'm 80% done with my fabrication but it'd be nice to see if they had the same thoughts I did. Thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device
Post some pics when you can buddy!

Thanks
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Find not fun, sorry
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...tra+vac&page=2
Old 11-06-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

so here's what I came up with. The first photo/s are the 1st attempt at designing a bagger, using a backpack blower as the power unit. Did not work well. Designed about 7 various discharge boots, piping, etc etc, all of which just didn't cut it. then 9no pictures of this part) mounted a trac-vac motor to the front, thinking that might work better.. a little, but not enough. experimented with different sized hoses and stuff to not much success.
Finally, got tired of playing around, and ordered a blower assembly from scag, the same the riders use, and custom mounted it for the V-ride. it's sweet. really good. I didn't mount the bags behind me, due to weight, and the fact that I wanted to actually put the machine into service before the leaf season was over!
total cost was pretty pricey; blower assembly was $1,200, hose $200, bags $300, fab shop $300. But you figure, that's what a bagger for a rider costs anyway, so not I got the same ability as they do, only standing!

Name:  P1090811.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  60.1 KB Name:  P1090815.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  P1090855.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  112.7 KB

Name:  P1090863.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  111.5 KB

Name:  P1090853.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  55.5 KB
Old 11-07-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if you'll ever see any real company build a rear mounted bagger for standers. The reason they don't put rollbars on walkbehinds and standers is because if there is a situation, you only have to step away from the mower to get out of danger. When you close the rear of a stander in, you make it significantly harder to get away from the mower in an emergency. You'll only have a narrow area on the left side of the mower that is free and clear, and it's just not enough. They would have to devise a stand up restraint system as well as a roll bar to get past OSHA and ANSI.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:44 AM

I would think having the bagger on the front, you would get a face dusting