Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check out our website at rndsigns.com or call us at 800-328-4009 to see hundreds of ideas on all of our promotional materials. Currently we are offering marketing packages where you can receive additional savings!

Download a FREE marekting handbook and planner with a lot of great tips!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Sponsor

Free Seminar "Really"

If anyone is near Valparaiso, IN on Thursday, March 31, 2011 think spring and think PROFIT.

Heinold & Feller Tire Company and Lawn Equipment is sponsoring a FREE seminar on Positioning your company for Success. The seminar begins at 9:30 and continues until 12:30. Topics of discussion include; bidding, contracts, marketing and selling. You can reach them at 219-462-5191 if you are interested in attending. This is part of their open house and they want you and all their commercial landscapers to be more successful and profitable.

Ask for Greg if you are interested in attending this free seminar. Lunch will be provided after the seminar.
"Where PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD"
How to bid mowing and landscaping jobs
Manuals & CDs Available to help you make your Business more PROFITABLE & PROFESSIONAL
800-845-0499
Louisville, KY
Since 1979
Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom's lawn care View Post
Well, I would probably just do away with fliers for many reasons. 1st- you get into trouble placing them on mailboxes
2nd- you get bitched at and in trouble for placing them on doors. So I personally decided that there really is no good way of advertising!
They are cracking down on this issue more and more. Perhaps it's because the Postal Service is the only business that is allowed to stay in business even though they are losing millions of dollars each year. Funny how our government works that way. Their idea of a business is soooo illogical

Gravely
Scag
Ferris
Echo
Stihl
Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I use a company called send out cards. It was actually designed to make cards for birthdays, anniversaries etc. but I use it to make my fliers and send them out. I do not use it for mass mailings, I use it to stay in touch with customers and specifically target houses I want to pick up. check it out the website it sendoutcards.com/johnnyanderinmarie
Old 04-02-2011, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Check with your local gov't officials on whether or not it is legal to do door to door sales. Here it is called a "nuisance law". It includes door to door sales, door knockers (flyers), anything left on mailboxes etc. These are all punishable with fines per addvertisement left. Do your homework first or this could end up costing you big bucks in the end.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea here you need a canvesing permit to do it. It cost 25 dollars and you can canves the entire city
Old 04-02-2011, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy View Post
you go out and garbage day and stick it straight in their trash can, cause thats where 99% of flyers end up anyway...

Sounds about 200% off-base from the results I got.

When I was putting out flyers, I would get about 1 call for every 40 or 50 of them the first two weeks following. And at least one more call in the next few months.

My preference was right at the front door, rolled and slipped next to the know, or through a "D" handle.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Got a remedy

I hear you guys loud and clear. I had the same problem about 2 years ago because my county is very strict about signs and soliciting. Let me tell you what I did and it still works good today.

I saw this on a show like "Yard Crashers" or something like that. I rode the area and chose the ugliest yard in the subdivision. I learned you need to reinvent yourselves and sometimes traditional ways just aren't the way to go.

Here is what I do: I find the ugliest yard and ask the customer if I can

1). Maintain their yard for an entire year.
2). Ask to leave a sign in the yard with FLYERS attached to the sign. Kind of like they do when they sale houses in real estate.

3). When someone ask, help me sell my service and I will continue to maintain yard free.

4). Try and recruit another home owner and charge them half off the service. But only if they promise to advertise. Remember, exposure is your untimate goal here.

5). Cater your prices to the entire subdivision because once they see your HANDY work, they will come knocking.

When I maintain the yard, I go all out and make the yard look magnificent. I aerate, throw seeds...the whole 9. That will get you more attention than just a nicely cut lawn. I hire someone to do some landscaping for that curb appeal. I bet you will get calls GALORE

We live in an era where you can buy a Subway sandwich for $5.00. You can go to McDonalds and buy a hamburger for $1.00. You need to adjust your prices the same way. Just think, 10 years ago you couldn't buy a sandwich at Subway for $5, so we need to rethink everything here.

In that subdivision, there about 60 homes. Right now, I got 16 of those homes. I did the same advertising in another subdivision and got 4 homes from there. So you see, you need to give a little to get a little.

I also started a Newsletter called, GRASS ROOTS. I send out a something every quarter to alert people of the special prices coming. Business is great and I can't wait for this SEASON. Alot of subdivisions are building again and I will be there with my sales pitch.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Flyers being placed on doors isn't highly effective, mainly because (for the homeowner) it's a violation of their privacy and property to think someone physically came up to their front door and put unsolicited promotion on their house.

But if you're gonna do it, the best method I've seen (personally) is rolling up the flyer with a rubber band and using the rubber band to place around the door handle.

Now, if you want to get better results (new clients), direct mail postcards are VERY effective!

The company I work for, PostcardMania, has collected the stories of some of our most successful landscaping clients and compiled them in a report we call "How to Get More Landscaping Clients: 7 Real-Life Marketing Success Stories".

I recommend downloading this report to see what others, like you, have done to gain tons of new customers. You can download it for free at this link: http://www.postcardmania.com/7-ways-...caping-empire/

Hope this helps

Sylvia Heneghan
Old 04-22-2011, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Re: your link. We're sorry but the page you're looking for can't be found.

But we're here to help you get back on track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostcardMania View Post
Flyers being placed on doors isn't highly effective, mainly because (for the homeowner) it's a violation of their privacy and property to think someone physically came up to their front door and put unsolicited promotion on their house.

But if you're gonna do it, the best method I've seen (personally) is rolling up the flyer with a rubber band and using the rubber band to place around the door handle.

Now, if you want to get better results (new clients), direct mail postcards are VERY effective!

The company I work for, PostcardMania, has collected the stories of some of our most successful landscaping clients and compiled them in a report we call "How to Get More Landscaping Clients: 7 Real-Life Marketing Success Stories".

I recommend downloading this report to see what others, like you, have done to gain tons of new customers. You can download it for free at this link: http://www.postcardmania.com/7-ways-...caping-empire/

Hope this helps