Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-27-2011, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W View Post
Edit: this isn't directed at you directly, Dirtman -- it's just a response to the thought of copy-catting in general. To put it bluntly, while there continues to be a large amount of copy-cating, you are sorely mistaken if you think that Chinese manufacturers are content to only copy Western equipment. Manufacturers who believe that all the photo taking is just for Chinese manufacturers to reverse engineer their own golden products are going to have a rude awakening. Given all the alleged resources and government backing of Chinese manufacturers, why wouldn't they just buy a machine and disassemble it? How effective are 2D photos of an assembled, inaccessible machine?
Everyone might already know this,
My wife's cousin works for Cat and he claims that Asians had completely dissassembled a D6 for instance and reverse engineered it. They went so far as to take molds where necessary and not even remove casting numbers on their new parts. Dirty, Dirty, Dirty!...if it is true.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioilyouin View Post
My wife's cousin works for Cat and he claims that Asians had completely dissassembled a D6 for instance and reverse engineered it. They went so far as to take molds where necessary and not even remove casting numbers on their new parts. Dirty, Dirty, Dirty!...if it is true.
The deere guy that slammed the door was talking same stuff. Moldlines, extraneous machining, matching bolt patterns, ect.
THEY JUST QUIT HORSIN AROUND
Old 03-27-2011, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvy 1ton View Post
The deere guy that slammed the door was talking same stuff. Moldlines, extraneous machining, matching bolt patterns, ect.
I guess there is no such thing as Patent laws in China? I can't understand how they can get away with carbon copy machines.

"Once again, concussion by safety" -Mike Rowe
Old 03-27-2011, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
I would like to hear more about the Terex displays. what were they highlighting? I think they are done buying out companies and may be starting to put more into developement as evidenced by their updated tlb designs.
Terex had a big display area. I spoke with a guy that used to be an engineer with them and now is the North American market manager (not exact title but his exact title escapes me).

I chatted with him for about a half an hour. Very cool guy. He stated that Terex sold off O&K which provided them with money to make huge improvements to the remaining product line especially the TLB and develop the skid steer as well as others. The TLB is designed especially for the NA market and spec wise goes head to head with the market leaders. Their marketing was evident at ConExpo since they had signage all over the BH about better breakout then CASE, more ground clearance then CAT etc. He said that he really likes working for Terex. He likes their committment to improving the product and working with the customer. It sounds like sound bits when I write it, but the guy seemed very genuine. I expressed what Dig Deep and I have discussed reference CAT's use of their ASV undercarriage and the damage that did to their credibility for their machines. Since the average customer doesn't know the whole story. He totally agreed with that position.

I came away impressed with my small interaction with the Terex representatives. I think they are consolidating and making the products that they do produce better. He did not see them offering full size excavators anytime soon. He said things come up and that may change but at the moment that was not a plan. He went on to say but as you know Terex has the process of aquiring other OEMs down to a science. Had to agree with that.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess you could say "You are starting the see the white"
Wish I could have been there to bust your balls in person.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioilyouin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvy 1ton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim385 View Post
I guess there is no such thing as Patent laws in China? I can't understand how they can get away with carbon copy machines.
These three posts actually reflect what I ignored -- I was focusing on the major brands who have significant growth aspirations... not necessarily anyone who only wants to rip off the Western makes. There's likely to be a small percentage of fakes/ripoffs that are separate from the XCMG, Sany, Liugong, and other reputable manufacturers.

Last edited by Tigerotor77W; 03-27-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by talus View Post
I guess you could say "You are starting the see the white"
Wish I could have been there to bust your balls in person.

LOL! Lets not getting carried away. I liked this guys interpratation of what Terex was about, but I am not trading in my Power Tan just yet. When I asked who the dealer was in Idaho for Terex he said something like D&S diesel service (not sure that was the exact name but something like that). Ah of course! Who else would it be?.

ASV could use some help on some design issues on their skid steer, but their backhoe seemed pretty solid.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey all I'm saying is a 100G would look very nice behind your mulcher or snow blower. I'd like to see Terex buy out IHI. Maybe they will instead of the ASV proposed mini that is/was supposed to be coming out.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by talus View Post
Hey all I'm saying is a 100G would look very nice behind your mulcher or snow blower. I'd like to see Terex buy out IHI. Maybe they will instead of the ASV proposed mini that is/was supposed to be coming out.
Now thats a good idea!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Shane -- do you know of the Case 1021 and 1121 loaders are Case designs or if they're like the 1221 and based on Hyundai loaders?