Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-27-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeg lawn maintenance View Post
Well Everyone has a different way of mowing. But here is my suggestion now that you have raised your pegs cut the yard as normal except for one thing cut the yard fully and then go and do your perimeter pass around everything. This will take away all of your tire tracks. The scalping issue you have there is most likely because the deck was to low and the weight of the mower was to the left. Now that it is raised you should be ok. Normally you want ot cut low this time of year your right about that I personally do not go below 2.75 3inch and will go as high as 4 in the spring. Hope this helps.
I raised my deck prior to cutting the front, they are one notch higher than they were in the previous pictures in the back yard, If I remember correctly they were at 3 inches when I cut the front?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak406 View Post
I raised my deck prior to cutting the front, they are one notch higher than they were in the previous pictures in the back yard, If I remember correctly they were at 3 inches when I cut the front?
Then its the weight of the machine on the left side digging in!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Then its the weight of the machine on the left side digging in!
How do you suggest me avoiding that scalping then?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

cut it a different way or raise the deck more! and keep the bagger on the other side of the low point(downhill side)
Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

zak! Your work looks incredible. Yet another piece of advice I have from using a fixed deck metro 24/7 is once you learn your yards and you come to a spot you normally know you will scalp just wheelie over it (lift the front a tad) then you can come back with your trimmer and make it perfect. Yeah, it kinda blows and seems like the floating deck isn't doing it's job but the truth is some terrain it just doesn't matter how much play your deck has. It's still a rigid piece of metal that will dig in a bit, so anyway that's just my opinion. It really isn't that bad cuz after you get used to a yard you don't even have to think about wheelie'n the mower and goin back with the trimmer, you just do it. Another good thing about the wheelie is it allows you to keep that straight line stripe instead of a random turn in the yard.

-Griffin

(can't wait to come across one of these for sale mid season, otherwise I'm gettin a stander.)
Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pride View Post
zak! Your work looks incredible. Yet another piece of advice I have from using a fixed deck metro 24/7 is once you learn your yards and you come to a spot you normally know you will scalp just wheelie over it (lift the front a tad) then you can come back with your trimmer and make it perfect. Yeah, it kinda blows and seems like the floating deck isn't doing it's job but the truth is some terrain it just doesn't matter how much play your deck has. It's still a rigid piece of metal that will dig in a bit, so anyway that's just my opinion. It really isn't that bad cuz after you get used to a yard you don't even have to think about wheelie'n the mower and goin back with the trimmer, you just do it. Another good thing about the wheelie is it allows you to keep that straight line stripe instead of a random turn in the yard.

-Griffin

(can't wait to come across one of these for sale mid season, otherwise I'm gettin a stander.)
Did you get my response a few pages back about the turning and what not, btw thank you..
Old 03-27-2011, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
cut it a different way or raise the deck more! and keep the bagger on the other side of the low point(downhill side)
Thanks for the advice man. I suppose if worse comes to worse I can just run my 21 over it, im still saving time! , what part of pittsburgh you from?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah got your response about the turning. I can see where it'sw difficult to do a 3 point turn with the sulky on there, seems like it would just jackknife easily. Maybe a 1 wheel sulky would allow you to go in reverse without jackknifing?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sewickley is home turf
Old 03-27-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jpeg, nice im from irwin my self

and southern pride it all depends on how many pivot points it has it would not be to hard if it only had one but mine has two... Most of my propertys are small with the exception of like 2 so for the most part ill be walking anyways keeping in shape