Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2011, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8404 View Post
so exmark is switching to the same 5400 transaxle?? i thought they made their own transaxle system.
i dont know if its the same one or not. but my dealer (he sells Exmark too) said they were moving to transaxles instead of seperate pump and wheel motors.

grassman - Gravely has made a lot of changes in the last couple of years. i went in to buy an Exmark in the beginning but after comparing the two side by side, the Gravely was the winner. mostly due to Exmark cost being so high. they are both great machines. the new Gravely's are nearly identical to Exmark. the gravely rep even told me that, but i had already seen it for myself.

our area here is saturated with Exmarks but we are moving towards Gravely around here. i see more of them replacing Exmark every day here.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsmi57 View Post
ordered it three weeks ago and it finally came in today lol

2011 Gravely Pro Turn 252 / 26hp Kawa
with chute blocker and mulch kit.

Going to get her dirty tomorrow

now just to wait on the Pro Walk 36 lol ...it should be here in about 3 weeks
Congratulations on your new ride! My youngest son has a 252 and loves it. Gravely's are quality mowers and I'm sure you'll love yours too!.
Stan
Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm wondering if you have had an opportunity to use the chute blocker. I am thinking about getting one for my 252. If so, how do you like it? Thanks
Old 03-26-2011, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsmi57 View Post
it has the Hydro-Gear ZT-5400 integrated pump and wheel motor system. 13mph ground speed. my dealer says Exmark is switching to these trannies too.

...from Hydro-Gear...

"The ZT-5400 Powertrain® is Hydro-Gear’s most capable transaxle, designed for heavy duty commercial applications. The ZT-5400 Powertrain transaxle features a hefty 16cc variable displacement seven piston pump and a 21cc variable displacement seven piston motor capable of delivering up to 325 ft-lbs. of continuous torque. Power is routed through a mechanical gear reduction with a single 1.375 inch shaft output. The ZT-5400 Powertrain® delivers smooth, infinitely variable speed and bi-directional control in a rugged integrated package."
Let me know how you like the 5400. I have a 2010 dixon grizzly with 16cc pumps and well motors in the 2011 model they (dx200) husqrana changed them to the 5400 which I believe 16cc as well could be wrong. But I may buy another dixon dx200 and I just want to know if you like them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice mower. But shouldn't this be in the picture threads??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought me a pro turn 260 with the 27hp motor last fall and put 100 hours on it since.. It is by far, by far the smoothest and most productive machine i have operated. Oh, and it cuts better than my old gravely x factor deck also.. The intergrated 5400 system is silky smooth so far. also love how the left front fork with the caster wheel is bent it much more to also closer trimming with the left hand side of the deck. One thing i hated about my old 260. i do miss the hydralic deck lift, especially when changing the blades, but this mower has so many other positives over the old 260 that it doesnt even bother me.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyreed View Post
I'm wondering if you have had an opportunity to use the chute blocker. I am thinking about getting one for my 252. If so, how do you like it? Thanks
i used it some today. it is not like the Exmark and totally closed off. there are tiny holes in the baffle which i guess is to help keep the air moving so the blades dont suffocate. i like it. i don't know why they don't come standard on every mower. it's great if you are in a tight area and dont want to throw debris in a bed/sidewalk/parking lot etc. easy to operate from the seat too
Old 03-26-2011, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

first impressions

got her dirty today. got to cut some before the rain came in.

three words

Smooth, Fast, and Powerful.

it has extremely responsive and smooth sticks with a minimum of push or pull involved.

it cuts good too of course

i think the 5400's are a little overkill lol but that's what i was hoping for and wanted. i wanted the bigger, faster, heavier duty parts whether i use/need all that speed or not.

it will run all of that 13mph and cut too at that speed but unless it's flat you get bounced around a good bit. speed of cut will be limited by the terrain only.

great mower!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice machine. I dig the large balloon front tires on the Gravelys. My TC's fronts are not as wide and track in softer ground.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The gravely looks like a nice mower. I my self am going to buy a new mower this spring to replace my exmark that I own now. Yesterday a friend and I tested a scag tiger-cat side by side with the gravely 260. We ran across the frozen lawn at the dealer. Both mowers rode the same but the controls on the 260 were so much smother and the gravely is $800. less than the scag. I only wish I knew how good the gravely cut here in the north east as I already know the scag has a great cut.