Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Sponsor

Everything is going internet based.

I was thinking how that the office business management side of businesses are all migrating to being web based. You're email accessible via a web page, your'e hard drive back up could be going online using "Cloud computing" You're accounting and invoicing with quickbooks can be all on the net. Banking online and you can even deposit checks with the new app from allot of banks. The office is shrinking and all we need to run our office affairs nowadays is an internet connection. I like it as long as i have a connection to it. Could you still manage your'e business without an internet connection?

Buy Sell & Trade Lawn & landscaping route accounts. The online market place for route accounts.
http://Tradeyouraccounts.com
http://facebook.com/ServiceRoutes
http://twitter.com/ServiceRoutes
Old 03-27-2011, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My business, yes. Now my personal life, it'd be extremely difficult.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The computer was the 1st step towards the papperless office.

some of us who are older find there are issues with using the internet, But it's also a tool. sometimes I have to wonder why some try to make things complicated by involving the internet.

Like any other tool, it can be used and abuses.

Belive it or not, people have been running businesses for hundreds of years before the internet.
I would have no issues it this type of internet was turned off tomorrow.
as you know there are 4 internets.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I try more an more all the time to get EVERYTHING of my business for sure, and all that I can personally on the net. So much easier to deal with in my opinion. I send as many invoices by email. I try to get all of my personal bills....electric, natural gas, etc. all sent by email. If I could I would do away with snail mail.

I would email all customers if I could rather than deal with them personally.
Just my .02
Old 03-28-2011, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The net is great. Info looking up stuff. EBanking. Payroll etc.

Thing is it takes time to migrate over. I wished every customer had email. I would send there statement viz email, they send a check via EBANK system.

But we service alot of elderly people, I still get a top of checks in the mail. Our paper the other day stated banks are charging more now for ATM use, check writing use, etc. all in a way to discourage this, the old fashion way to going greener, leaner, and more efficeint.

I guess everything evoles but takes time.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

There are definitely more options than ever before with respect to business management software. The move towards software hosted on the internet isn't unique to this industry though, it's the new standard across all industries for software that doesn't need to take advantage of specialized hardware features.

Like the original poster already said, you don't need to worry about backups or software installation and upgrades, you can access your data from anywhere, and you can take advantage of advanced integration options with third party services such as QuickBooks and more. If you're using software that's installed locally on your computer you should strongly consider moving to one of the web based options out there.

[Shameless Plug] My company makes a business management web application called Octopus that's made specifically for the On-Site Service companies, such as lawn maintenance. We just launched a little over a month ago — we have a thirty day no commitment free trial, easy to understand monthly plans (no contracts), and our pricing is very affordable. Sign up for a free trial at http://www.octopusapp.com and use the '496LAWNSITE15' discount code to get 15% off your first 3 months with us.

If you have any questions about Octopus, or even just web based software in general, feel free to e-mail me directly, or post in this thread and I'll do my best to answer your questions for everyone's benefit.

All the best,
Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are so many online tools that are out there. I recently heard of an online service that allows you to view all of your postal mail online. Like it or not, the internet is becoming more and more integrated into the daily lives of business owners.

For me I like the added efficiency that the internet brings to my life, but I have to consciously "disconnect" from time to time to stay sane.

Our Facebook Page

A goal properly set is halfway reached - - Zig Ziglar