Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2000, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone has used this or think it would work? If it works the price isn't too bad. If it doesn't it would probably be better to go with the 12v spray kit at Perma-green. What are your opinions?<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 04-19-2000, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Herbi will do the job, just need to be very careful in applying. You are using a very high concentration, 5 pints to do 3/4 acre. If you stop to scratch your nose, and don't stop flow, you have a dead ring in lawn. All droplets are close in size, so no worry about drift. You will still have to spot spray along borders with other ground covers, because you won't want to get too close to them. Your only concern is calibration: different size tips are supplied to get a 60ml/min flow rate.<p>You will be somewhat limited on the products you can use. Some herbicides will not be effective in CDA type application. Many Trimec products, Roundup, and Riverdale's Millenium Ultra and Cool Power have label directions for use in Herbi. Most likely Lesco's Momentum will not work, because it is a mix of Confront, and that will not work in Herbi.<p>They also have a unit that will spray a 6&quot; to 18&quot; band, the HerbaFlex. Width is determined by height you hold machine, so you have to be good at calculations to figure concentration of solutions for different widths.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>
Old 04-20-2000, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mattingly,<br>PermaGreen's 12V spray kit is nicer, IMO. I've owned 3 Herbi's and 4 PermaGreen units. PermaGreen units are nicer for lawn broadleaf weed control.<p>Jim,<br>I've never sprayed but 2 gallons of straight Confront, but I have used tons of Momentum, why can't it be used in a Herbi? Too sticky?
Old 04-20-2000, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mattingly- For your use this year, the Herbi will save you a lot of time for the minimal cost. But it is a delicate tool, won't survive life on a lawn trailer. If you do go with it, write me if you need any help. <p>Lazer- Ever since I tried Turflon D in Herbi, when label suggested not recommended, and didn't kill a single weed, I won't waste time if label says &quot;Use of ULV applications is not recommended,&quot; as on Confront label. You know how great a product Turflon D was at the time, and I had right concentration figured and right flow rate. I assume it is something in the chemistry of the product that makes a ULV app ineffective.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 04-21-2000, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, guys, just checked and Momentum IS labelled for Herbi use.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<p>
Old 04-21-2000, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That makes sense.<p>Confront is used at so low rate, I'm not surprised it's not labeled for ULV. Momentum has 50% 2,4-D which changes everything.