Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

To me, it is whether you want long or short pole hedge, whether you want articulation or not. This will limit you to one or the other, no need to talk which one is better.

If I have to vote for reliability, I would vote for Echo. I own two Shindaiwas and only one Echo. But from reading posts here for years, Echo has the fewest complains. There is no growing pain like a lot of the new models of a lot of brands. Newer Shindaiwas like T242 and T282 seems to have more complains unlike the old T260 and T270 and T230. Also the EB8510 has a lot of complains.

I personally have no problem of the Shindaiwas, but I have to say I am a lot happier with the C4 EB3410 blower than the M242. I had to buy the choke assembly because the old one broke and has recall or something. When I use the M242 as pole hedge, the filter always work itself into the neck of the tank and won't pickup gas. It is under power for 24cc in my book. It is not bad, but if I need another one, it is not going to be 242.

If I were to buy a articulate pole hedge trimmer, I would buy the Husqvarna. They have the short articulate version like the Shindaiwa. Echo should come out with a short articulate attachment. But that is just me and OP did not ask for suggestion for another brand.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

echo hedge trimmers are good. But i use all shindaiwa hand helds. Buy it and dont look back. mine take a beating and they still run strong

2011 extended cab f250
2011 f550

06 c6500
FINN bb302 Bark Blower
06 vermeer bc1000XL 12" chipper
2 salt dogg v- box spreaders
8ftsnow dogg plow

9ft snow dogg plow
/2004 New Holland LS180

20 yrs old
Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunter502 View Post
Sorry we ran echo for 7 years and had nothing but problems we had 12 trimmers, 4 edgers and 6 blowers. They don't have near the power or preformance of the shindaiwa or redmax. They have carb problems, alot less power, they are just not even close to the same machine! What else would you like to know.
If they are so crappy why stick with them for 7 yrs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunter502 View Post
Sorry we ran echo for 7 years and had nothing but problems we had 12 trimmers, 4 edgers and 6 blowers. They don't have near the power or preformance of the shindaiwa or redmax. They have carb problems, alot less power, they are just not even close to the same machine! What else would you like to know.
I completely disagree. I have an Echo PB-410 that's about 10 years old and I have never had a problem with is. Ever.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitelawnteam1 View Post
This is the link http://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/About-S.../About-Us.aspx

Echo owns Shindaiwa, I've never owned either one, so I can't give a review
We ran a few of the blowers that were the same as echo 755t I think the shindaiwa model was 633rt but they were same exact unit other than red in color and 60.00 cheaper a unit. Also echo has fleet deals if you can buy 10 units at a time save lots of $$$ and they can be all different types ie 2 blowers 4 trimmers 2 hedge 2 pole. I get together with a friend when I dont need 10 and split 5ea. The only problem we ever have with the echo is muffler screen clogs (after a few years)we just remove them. good luck on your choice.
1986 Toyota 4x4 7' meyers plow
1999 wells cargo 8x18 enclosed trailer
2014 pj 6.11x16 10k landscape trailer
Exmark lazer z's with bag systems
Exmark Navigator/ Walker
Exmark walk behinds with bag kits
Echo trimmers,blowers,hedge trimmers, etc.
lots of hand tools etc.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc0207 View Post
If they are so crappy why stick with them for 7 yrs
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't really know should have done it sooner I just didn't really have time to explore to my options. I had a buddy suggest a shindawia after that I knew then I would never buy another echo. I was a small operation then I was working 14 to 15 hour days and didn't have time to compare. Now with all of my crews doing most of the manual work I have more time to explore better equipment options to make my crews more efficient. Now we have less down time with the shindawia and redmax equipment.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

im like the guy on the original post and need a good multi. i basically only have stihl stuff at the moment and have favored stihl for the last 10 years or so. stihl seems like the horsepower stays in the machines year in year out. the echos i have run have carb problems ive noticed, and the shindy IMO are pricey. but at the same time so are stihl. but because thats what im used to using i always go stihl...... yeah they weigh more than most of the competition, but to me that means quality parts...... heavier the machine...... heavier the parts.... more solid. that could be a stupid way to look at it. However echo seems more economical on the pocket book. Although the hedge trimmer looks ridiculously long and not ergonomic for practical smaller shrubbery. SOmeone hurry and make my mind up for me.... im constantly second guessing when it comes to buying equipment, but i thinks its because of the expense more than anything. im not cheap but broke...... if ya know what i mean.... i just started up..... and have spent my money wisely i think... but a few more choice machines and im done buying for awhile i hope, knowck on wood.....
Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudchutney View Post
im like the guy on the original post and need a good multi. i basically only have stihl stuff at the moment and have favored stihl for the last 10 years or so. stihl seems like the horsepower stays in the machines year in year out. the echos i have run have carb problems ive noticed, and the shindy IMO are pricey. but at the same time so are stihl. but because thats what im used to using i always go stihl...... yeah they weigh more than most of the competition, but to me that means quality parts...... heavier the machine...... heavier the parts.... more solid. that could be a stupid way to look at it. However echo seems more economical on the pocket book. Although the hedge trimmer looks ridiculously long and not ergonomic for practical smaller shrubbery. SOmeone hurry and make my mind up for me.... im constantly second guessing when it comes to buying equipment, but i thinks its because of the expense more than anything. im not cheap but broke...... if ya know what i mean.... i just started up..... and have spent my money wisely i think... but a few more choice machines and im done buying for awhile i hope, knowck on wood.....
What are you looking for? Same pole hedge trimmer? The question is still what do you need? I asked the same question on my first post here. Because this will determine what brand to get. Stihl and Echo both don't have short articulate hedge pole trimmer......period. You want that, go with Shindaiwa or Husqvarna. They are the only two that offer short articulate hedge attachment for their multi tool system. If you just want dedicated one ( don't recommend it), then Redmax, Kawasaki also have that. I think you better start a new thread yourself here, this is getting too long already. If you want non articulate short one, Echo SHC is the best.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, the short shaft seems to be my best option...I think I'm going to go with husky. I appreciate everyones recommendations.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2011, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerneclipse View Post
Thanks, the short shaft seems to be my best option...I think I'm going to go with husky. I appreciate everyones recommendations.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think that is a good choice. You'll find no or very few bad reviews here. The 326 engine is very reliable, easy starting. when I was in the market that time, they were out of stock and Shindaiwa had a promotion right at the time that I get a free string trimmer attachment with it. With the ok experience of the M242, I would buy the Husky if I were to do it again.

Short articulate trimmer is very handy, you don't need to even buy a regular hedge trimmer unless you are seriously into hedge trimmer.....I mean almost sculpting. Everything you can do with a regular hedge trimmer can be done nicely with the short articulate. I only went out and get a 30" because of my rolls of boxwoods are getting very tall and I am getting more and more picky with the work. Also I start to do ball shrubs where the pole hedge trimmer is just too clumpsy.....at least that's what I told my big boss ( wife) why I need a new toy!!!!